which Knight

Looking to get my first muzzy and looking at two knight. Thinking either a disc extreme or ultra lite set up as a Western. is there any other advantage other than weight saving for the ultra lite over the disc.

muleman

WKR
I was just in your shoes, choosing a new Knight. When it came down to it, I went with the Mountaineer over the Ultra-Lite. My decision was largely based on the fact that I hate loading sabots and like full bore conicals. The minimum conical weight I shoot is 460gr.

I felt the 6 pound Ultra-Lite would be too punishing to shoot with heavy conicals. My White Whitetail Hunter is right at 8 pounds with red dot. The White has some stiff recoil and not much fun to shoot at the range. The Mountaineer will be 8 pounds plus optic weight.
8yqy7e9a.jpg

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with the disc-extreme. 2 factors in my decision between the exact two models you have listed

Cost- I couldn't justify almost double the cost on a weapon I most likely won't have a tag for every year.

Weight- the standard disc kicks enough for me. I don't know how the ultra-lite kicks butt judging by the numbers I'm guessing it's a lot more than mine. This was also an excuse not to spend the money on the ultra-lite.

If the money isn't a concern and you don't mind a little extra recoil, I think the weight savings would be worth it. Both are awesome guns. I love my disc extreme.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I have been very Happy with my MK-85s I have also owned a bighorn but preferred the MK-85s because of the balance. For western hunting the plunger guns have been my favorite. My hunting partner has a bighorn. These rifles have been more accurate than I can be with open sights.
In Oregon we are restricted to #11 or Musket caps. So Blackhorn is not a powder choice for me.I am not sure about your local laws.
View attachment 19369
If I was going to buy new I would go for the ultra lite. I carry a rifle a lot more than I shoot it.
there is some recoil but ... that is part of it. I have a very light weight LK-93 ( an once or two heavier than an Ultra light) that I shoot 460 gr NE from and the recoil is very tolerable.

OP
C
which knight

I have been very Happy with my MK-85s I have also owned a bighorn but preferred the MK-85s because of the balance. For western hunting the plunger guns have been my favorite. My hunting partner has a bighorn. These rifles have been more accurate than I can be with open sights.
In Oregon we are restricted to #11 or Musket caps. So Blackhorn is not a powder choice for me.I am not sure about your local laws.
View attachment 19369
If I was going to buy new I would go for the ultra lite. I carry a rifle a lot more than I shoot it.
there is some recoil but ... that is part of it. I have a very light weight LK-93 ( an once or two heavier than an Ultra light) that I shoot 460 gr NE from and the recoil is very tolerable.

The gun will be use more than one state. I plan to buy conversion kit for it, so it will be legal everywhere. I don't think I'll be using gun every year either.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've shot both the Ultra-Light and Mountaineer. Muleman is right about bullet weight. Although the Ultra-light managed recoil surprisingly well due to good stock design, a heavy conical is going to kick more than a sabot or light conical. I went with the Mountaineer and am shooting a 360 grain conical (45 cal) and the recoil is very manageable. Tried a 260 conical and it was like shooting a light shotgun but I wanted the energy of the 360 so hunted with it. The gun shoots very well.

video and blogs on that Mountaineer here:
http://www.rokslide.com/easyblog/entry/knight-mountaineer-45-cal-muzzleloader and here
http://www.rokslide.com/easyblog/entry/shoot-him-with-my-ol-45