Which tarptent?

I've decided on a tarptent for my next tent....I just keep hearing to many good things about them and they are priced so reasonable how could I not try one? My question is....which one. I like double vestibule/doors, double wall and I don't want to use trekking poles for support. I like the rainbow but ive heard theyre not a true double wall and I don't want to deal with condensation. Anyone have any feedback on condensation for the rainbow? My other options are the scarp 1 or 2 person and the moment dw. Both look very similar, the scarp looks a tad wider and a little longer, same in height. Any feedback on the scarp vs the moment?

I like to sit Indian style in my tent and cook in one vestibule. I'll also use that vestibule for my boots and entry/exit. The other vestibule will house my pack and other gear.

IrishnId

WKR
Hunted with a guy this year and hat had the Scarp1. I was impressed with this tent greatly. Double wall was noticeably warmer and the wind and rain storm never flapped his tent and no less. Super light.

Browtine

WKR
Their Stratospire 1/2 are also double walled with the option of mesh or solid inner tent. I'm looking into the Stratospire or Scarp after my Rainshadow II rained condensation on me during three straight days of rain during archery season. It's still a great tent, but not the best option in really wet weather.

Eagle

WKR
Used a double rainbow for the last 5 years. Condensation is an issue if there's no wind, but if there's a breeze, its not a problem. It is not a double wall, but it has the dual vestibule you're wanting.

Whisky

WKR
FYI my Scsrp 1 still can get pretty bad condensation at times. In MT this year was the worst I had seen it, on the inside of the nest. Typically it just builds between nest and fly and doesn't bother me. Conditions must have been right.

Its a solid tent though.

OP
M
SCARP 1 it is!!! I know its a little heavier than the moment dw, but its so sturdy, spacious, and versatile. I think every tent will deal with condensation in the right conditions. I'm a little unsure on exact weights but it looks like without the the 2 crossing poles I'll be around 3 lbs which puts me not quite a pound lighter than my skyledge 2 DP and the scarp will pack smaller as well. Looks like I can get the mesh and solid liner and it can be a 3 and 4 season tent by just swapping out liners. In nastier forecasts I can take the 2 crossing poles (12 oz) and sturdy it up a bit.\

Thanks for the input!

gulicemo

Banned
I just got a Moment DW and have only spent 2 nights in it in very mild conditions.

Pros:
Quick to set up
Relatively Light
Dual Doors and vestibules.
Side entry.
Very adjustable inner nest. I plan to use it with my 60 pound lab next summer but you can also shrink the nest to allow more room in the vestibules.
Appears to have plenty of ventilation for any moist conditions.

Cons so far:
Can only sit completely upright in the very middle. (I'm 5'11")
Wouldn't want to ride out a substantial storm in it because there isn't much room in it to do anything besides lay down.

For what I wanted, A quick solo, lightweight shelter that was quick and mobile, I think it will work very well. It's great for CA's black ants and mosquitoes that are very annoying when going floorless.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
Used a double rainbow for the last 5 years. Condensation is an issue if there's no wind, but if there's a breeze, its not a problem. It is not a double wall, but it has the dual vestibule you're wanting.

I have been looking at the rainbow for a solo shelter. When you are having condensation issues, is the insect netting zipped up (making the tent bug proof) or left open?

jmez

WKR
They sell a liner for the Double Rainbow for condensation issues. Doesn't keep it from condensing but keeps it off of you and out of the nest.

OP
M
The rainbow is kind of a hybrid tent. The way I understand it, it is double wall where the doors are and single wall on the ends. The liner may help condensation a little, but the truth is if the conditions are right for condensation, chances are soon or later you'll wake up and your sleeping bag will be damp down by your feet or up by your head, or whatever gear you have that's on the ends. Is it a huge deal? Probably depends on what time of year it is and who you ask. I'm very tempted to try the rainbow out, but the Scarp 1 is getting my money this time.

jmez

WKR
The liner makes it more of a double wall on the ends. You won't get wet with the liner in place.

Browtine

WKR
The liner may help condensation a little, but the truth is if the conditions are right for condensation, chances are soon or later you'll wake up and your sleeping bag will be damp down by your feet or up by your head, or whatever gear you have that's on the ends. Is it a huge deal? Probably depends on what time of year it is and who you ask.

Keeping off the walls is something I can deal with in my Rainshadow. However, when it starts raining hard enough outside to make it rain condensation inside is when I long for a true double wall. This season was wetter than normal and we have a few damp days inside the Tarptent.

Eagle

WKR
I have been looking at the rainbow for a solo shelter. When you are having condensation issues, is the insect netting zipped up (making the tent bug proof) or left open?

It wouldn't matter either way there, the bug netting allows air flow regardless of whether it is zipped up or not. One thing you can do with the rainbow to help with condensation is to pitch one or both of the vestibules in an open configuration to increase the airflow. This requires the use of trekking poles or sticks and some extra guyline and a second stake for that vestibule, but it can be done easily.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
It wouldn't matter either way there, the bug netting allows air flow regardless of whether it is zipped up or not. One thing you can do with the rainbow to help with condensation is to pitch one or both of the vestibules in an open configuration to increase the airflow. This requires the use of trekking poles or sticks and some extra guyline and a second stake for that vestibule, but it can be done easily.

I have found the noseeum or mosquito netting restricts airflow substantially. In my tents I open up the netting completely and condensation is rarely an issue. Thanks for the info on pitch configurations.

Eagle

WKR
I have found the noseeum or mosquito netting restricts airflow substantially. In my tents I open up the netting completely and condensation is rarely an issue. Thanks for the info on pitch configurations.

Interesting, the netting in my rainbow has never slowed a breeze down at all, so tarptent may use a different kind of mesh.

Peter K

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with either the stratosphere 1 or 2? Seems like the 2 would be a good option for 2 people, and lots of room for one still at a very reasonable weight.

Does anyone have experience with either the stratosphere 1 or 2? Seems like the 2 would be a good option for 2 people, and lots of room for one still at a very reasonable weight.

I love the SS2, plenty of room for two or even 3 people (although they cannot be the same 230lbs I am). The trekking poles give it insane strength even in serious wind and if you pitch it so there's zero touching of the nest to the tent wall, condesation is no problem. It's taller than most tarptents which i like and I use my trekking poles on backcountry trips so have no aversion to using em. I have the lightweight collapsible sticks should I need my trekking poles during the day.

Open

Buttoned up

[video=youtube;Ya9-HBWkWoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya9-HBWkWoI[/video]

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got a Moment DW and have only spent 2 nights in it in very mild conditions.

Pros:
Quick to set up
Relatively Light
Dual Doors and vestibules.
Side entry.
Very adjustable inner nest. I plan to use it with my 60 pound lab next summer but you can also shrink the nest to allow more room in the vestibules.
Appears to have plenty of ventilation for any moist conditions.

Cons so far:
Can only sit completely upright in the very middle. (I'm 5'11")
Wouldn't want to ride out a substantial storm in it because there isn't much room in it to do anything besides lay down.

For what I wanted, A quick solo, lightweight shelter that was quick and mobile, I think it will work very well. It's great for CA's black ants and mosquitoes that are very annoying when going floorless.

Do you any have photos of inside the tent? (Moment DW) I've been debating one of these for trips with my kids. Be ok for an adult and a small child? I thought I read a review where someone did this, but can't find it.. ;)

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Not the greatest pic but heres my Double Rainbow in NZ recently. We got hammered with unexpected crazy winds, rain, and snow which was probably more then it was designed for. A few sections of poles got bent but held up, i put my trekking poles in which made a huge difference, also added a couple more guy lines. No rips or lose stitching, which amazed me, only rip i had was from a pole tip coming out of the grommet while the tent was flapping and poking through the top, wish there was a better system for that. Had some condensation also but i had it pitched to the ground plus the snow covering the edges didnt help venting. Also the linelocs on the guylines would loosen up with all the flapping so just locked them with knots.

If i was going to do it all over and known i was going into those conditions i think i would go with a Scarp1, i think you can use just the fly if you wanted to go lighter but not sure if it would be that much lighter.

I was checking out pics online and found an old thread where a guy used an early version of he Double Rainbow an had it get hammered in high winds also. His tent looked liked mine, getting flattened in high gust, he used his trekking pole and added guylines which helped a lot. Henry Shires was on that thread and used his info and added the trekking pole option and also added tieouts to later models, glad i had those features on my trip. Thought it was cool to see him use info from users to improve his product.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Two years now I have been using my Moment DW. It has spent aprox 65 nights keeping me dry. I have had no major problems. The only time I ever had any condensation was when I woke up to 15" of snow and 45 mph winds. It had been raining when I went to sleep, and stormed all night. The snow blocked the air flow around the base of the tent. I was very happy I had the extra snow pole with me that trip.
photo 3 (1).jpg
I am looking into another tent, just to have a backup. It will most likely be another TT.