watch suggestions? Suunto, G shock Pretek

n2horns

WKR
Looking for a new watch and Like the Suunto Core, the Gshock Rangeman and PRW 3000. To narrow down the field or add more, any new options or a watch to select? They all do the same ABC function, but which would be better.

Also, is it preferable to get negative display or not (if watch has capability)?

Thanks

Broomd

WKR
I looked long and hard and ended up with the protrek Prg270... It has all the sensor functions, alt, baro, comp...and it will never need a battery. I regard it as bit more rugged than the 3000...the 3000 has an aluminum bezel that I would have scratched way too soon.
I opted for the canvas band and NON negative display. I had a new ironman in negative that was virtually unreadable it was so dim.
I recommend against neg display... Unless you are military there in no upside.

I almost went suunto core, but I swim 1/2 mile 3-4 times a week, and several reviews I read bemoaned the complete lack of waterproofness. Notice that suunto says "water resistant" and not water proof.

I've got a Mudman with reg display and a Rangeman with Neg display. Never wear the Rangeman because of the hard to see neg display. Won't ever buy a neg display watch again

kodiakfly

WKR
I used to wear a Suunto but the bezel broke off and I bought the G-Shock with the alt/temp and it holds it's baro reading better than the Suunto ever did and it costs less.

KMT

WKR
I've got a Mudman with reg display and a Rangeman with Neg display. Never wear the Rangeman because of the hard to see neg display. Won't ever buy a neg display watch again

Completely agree with the negative display. It's a horrible idea and almost impossible to read.

colonel00

WKR
I have a PRW-5000y. Mostly I wear the watch as a daily watch though and I picked up a black titanium bracelet for it. However, for trips I put on a longer Nato style band that I can wear outside of bulky clothing.

Anyway, from what I recall, the Suunto I think have better altimeter readings than the Casio's. Here is a great place to find out more info on ABC watches:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/

I've got a suunto core, really like it as a watch and it's really durable. But as far as the extra features it falls short in my eyes. The alto and baro and very inaccurate and im constantly having to recalibrate it and check the reading. I personally like the negative display, I've never had an issue reading it and it's got a light for times when it gets to dark.

OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
The negative display is hard to read. Looking at the PRG 270 for features, durability and cost. Wearing the Suunto Core or PRW3000 seem to pretty for outdoors. Rather have a rugged looking watch when out in the field.

The watchuseek forum is crazy filled with info. Still reading stuff. Who knew there could be so much about a watch.

Ironman8

WKR
I've had my eye on the PRG-270B-3CR for a while now. Has all the features I would want and not a bad price at all on amazon... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5S7G3C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also, just remember these watch forums are great for info, but these guys go in WAY too deep for the average joe. Something they would consider a "problem", I probably wouldn't even notice. Maybe you like getting into all the finite details, but just thought I'd point that out. But I guess that would be like one of them coming to our forum for general hunting info and reading how deep we are into it :p

Ive had a G-Shock for 10 years and it wont die. Great watch ! My Sunnto Vector looked pretty and was in fashion BUT a TOTAL P.O.S . The face scratched easy and condensation got into it. Sunnto warranty sucked (they wanted I believe $50 just to look at it and I payed shipping) all when the watch was only about a year and a half old and cost double what my G-Shock cost. I threw the Sunnto in the trash !

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Used a Suunto vector for 8 years or so. I have been using a Suunto Core for 3 years. No problems. No complaints.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the Suunto core. I set the altimeter at the truck and let it be. I've cross checked it off my Delorme PLB and 9 out of 10 times it's been within +/- 30 ft of a GPS triangulation. Laughed at the storm alarm on multiple sunny days only to have a major storm roll in hours later

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Suunto Core with one caveat. My battery only lasts approx one year. Not sure if I'm buying crappy batts but this about the average. My various Casio watches, are still ticking after years of neglect in some cases. And yeah - skip the negative display unless you have a tactical reason to go that way.

Backstrap

FNG
I have the older model Suunto Core and have no complaints regarding functionality. Every thing works as advertised. My only complaint is that it eats batteries like a college kid eats pizzas. Mine last only about four months.

OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
The battery usage on the Cores is a downfall. After all this reading I'm actually talking my self out of an ABC watch. I carry a gps amd a kestrel in which both tell me altitude. The kestrel has barometer. Gps does comas and altitude so I just need an ABC watch for telling time? My GPS tells time too. I guess its like the saying 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I think I may get the 270 as it seems to do all I need at a great price.