Arkansas Elk Pics

So just figured I'd share, we've actually got some elk in AR. Very limited hunting, they draw 20ish permits a year for the good areas. Also landowners in a few counties and get landowner permits. I've had the opportunity to get landowner permits the last 2 years and this year, but have never seen one while hunting. 1st set of pics is from the "good area" around Boxley Valley. 2nd set of pics is from a friends game cam. Unfortunately they're never around the private property we hunt when season rolls around Oct. 27ish.

Attachments

• elk1.jpg
    elk1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 442
  • elk2.jpg
    elk2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 416
  • elk3.jpg
    elk3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 423
  • elk7.jpg
    elk7.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 392
  • elk6.jpg
    elk6.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 384

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing- I hope one sticks around on that private property and you are able to tag one at some point.

7stw

WKR
Yeah growing up around there you would see them a lot. I remember when they first opened the season. Cool to watch. You used to be able to see them all the time around Ponca. Good luck !

Bar

Banned
I had no idea Arkansas had elk. Missouri just reintroduced them a couple years ago.

They didn't. In 1981 they took some elk (112) from Colorado, and introduced them to Arkansas. Herd is about 450 now.

Not sure how happy they are? Elk like cold weather.

OP
alexanderg23
They didn't. In 1981 they took some elk (112) from Colorado, and introduced them to Arkansas. Herd is about 450 now.

There were elk in AR in the 1800's and 1930-50s.

And I guarantee there be there's over 1000 in AR now. Our biggest problem with them is they keep destroying our fencing. The AGFC, keeps having to reimburse the landowners. My group has access to 800ish acres and we get 4 cow and 1 either sex tag every year.

Basically if you have some land you'll get 3 tags, and then you have to call the hotline each night to see if you can hunt the next day.

rayporter

WKR
i may have to ride the trail at steel creek this week just to get ready to hunt. last year we passed big feller sleeping with his ladies a couple river crossings down stream. he never moved as i rode past at 15 yd.

the river is a wonderful place to hunt or camp.

slightly off topic but there have been some huge antlers found in ohio. in one of the caves along the Olentangy river if i remember.

OP
alexanderg23
i may have to ride the trail at steel creek this week just to get ready to hunt. last year we passed big feller sleeping with his ladies a couple river crossings down stream. he never moved as i rode past at 15 yd.

the river is a wonderful place to hunt or camp.

slightly off topic but there have been some huge antlers found in ohio. in one of the caves along the Olentangy river if i remember.

We're just over there in Snowball.

Poser

WKR
We have about 300-400 Elk in Tennessee that were reintroduced from KY 11 years ago. There are 7 tags each year. 5 are lottery draw for residents only with about 10,000 putting in. 1 is a juvi draw and 1 is auctioned off to raise money for the wildlife federation. It usually goes for about $20,000.

Browtine

WKR

They've always looked happy when I've seen them.

I'm guessing people ran them out of their historic range that covered pretty much the entire lower 48, not the heat.

I was just watching the Meateater episode in which Rinella kills a KY bull and eats its liver with Chicken of the Woods mushrooms. He states that the most recent census puts our (KY) herd at 13,000 head. Impressive, maybe that will translate into a tag for me, since ive been putting in for 9 years now!

rayporter

WKR
elk covered north America at one time. the last eastern elk was killed sept. 1 1877 in Pennsylvania.

i read the story once and if i remember several elk were cornered in deep snow and killed. just google last elk.