IA Bucks

iahunter

FNG
New to the forum and let me tell you it is an excellent place to learn and enjoy the the beauty of the West from my chair here in IA.

Here are a few IA bucks we will be chasing this year for your viewing pleasure.
Picked up this guys right side shed antler last year about 100 yards from the cam and he is back in full force
PICT0167.jpg
PICT0549.jpg

No history with these guys
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_1007.jpg
MDGC0523.jpg

Eagle

WKR
Man, that first deer is a stud, what did his right side score last year? I've got enough points to draw Iowa already, but I'm waiting until 2016 or 2017 with the EHD deaths from 2012 and 2013. When I started buying points, I thought I'd be up there this fall. Hoping that'll be long enough to let everything recover. Good luck with that stud, hope y'all have great weather for the rut.

OP
I

iahunter

FNG
Didn't make it out on opening. Running behind on prep as always. Just had a new baby boy in late August and his wild 3 year old brother is keeping us busy also. I will most likely get out this weekend with the good cold front moving in.

Last year that shed was approx. 83 to 85" as I am no expert measurer...he also flipped his split g3 from 1 side to the other
View attachment 19438
View attachment 19439

rhendrix

WKR
Man those are some nice Iowa bucks. I gotta start building some points out there.

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
You have some studs there- hope you get one of them on the ground.

PA 5-0

WKR
Well if that don't get ur heart pumping!!!! I leave for Iowa on Nov 7th. Hunting my buddy's two farms north of Leon and he has sent me enough trail cam pics to ensure little sleep til we leave. Where you located??? Was the EHD any better or worse in certain areas?? My buddy has pics of most of the big boys he had pics of last year. I'm hoping at least one Booner made it thru!!

OP
I

iahunter

FNG
Live in Monroe County in the SE or South Central part of the state. The EHD was spotty here but was very bad in some locations. I walk many farms looking for sheds and found about 20 dead bucks and didn't count the does I found. Some farms I found none dead but others were devastated, I have a small 80 acre farm that I found 8 dead bucks, sucked. However the heard has seemed to bounce back here and with the wet year here our deer have done well and grown some big racks.

PA 5-0, I wish you luck on your hunt! I am about an hour from Leon, there are giants all across southern Iowa but Leon is definitely a spot for trophy deer.

We got lucky up here in Allamakee County. The EHD missed us this year. We did have a confirmed wild CWD, but they have not found another positive. Our numbers are down though due to harsh winters and the late doe seasons in the past.