3 Most Important Lifts for Mtn Hunting

SDHNTR

WKR
Dead lift
Weighted reverse lunges (dumbells in hand)
Front squats with dumbells

Farmer carry? Really?

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Dead lift
Weighted reverse lunges (dumbells in hand)
Front squats with dumbells

Farmer carry? Really?

I thought the same thing. Unless your backpack fails you, I don't see it being a critical exercise. -not to say that it is impractical, but if we are going to get that simple, why not just go for "walking with a pack uphill"?

jmez

WKR
I really can't take anything they say seriously after seeing the deadlift picture. They then say to get some coaching first. Were they talking to the guy in the pic???? Then they make light of squats as we don't squat dead animals. Yet include the Turkish Get Up as if we may be inclined to try that in the mountains for some reason. Bad article.

I would say

Squats
Deadlift
Situps of any kind: not a lift but core strength is paramount in balancing and maintaining stability with a loaded pack

Ironman8

WKR
I really can't take anything they say seriously after seeing the deadlift picture. They then say to get some coaching first. Were they talking to the guy in the pic???? Then they make light of squats as we don't squat dead animals. Yet include the Turkish Get Up as if we may be inclined to try that in the mountains for some reason. Bad article.

I would say

Squats
Deadlift
Situps of any kind: not a lift but core strength is paramount in balancing and maintaining stability with a loaded pack

Agree Jmez...although I would rather do overhead or front squats to work core and balance. Situps aren't really "core" so much as abdominal wall....though you can work core with some floor exercises mixed in with situps and it's variations.

1-lift arrow and place into place on string.
2-lift bow and fire shot.
3- lift arms in congratulatory manner.

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
1-lift arrow and place into place on string.
2-lift bow and fire shot.
3- lift arms in congratulatory manner.

Very funny!

I checked on the "About" page for the Mountain Hunting Journal whatever (sounds oh so official) and there is no information on who they are. Just seems like pure fluff.

I agree with jmez. I think the deadlift should be high on the list though (looks like the dude is doing some sort of sumo deadlift) - might as well make it Atlas stones if you're going to build a rock cabin while you're up there huntin' - according to these guys.

Looks like the strongfirst site they are affiliated with is big on the kettlebells (and selling them), hence the Turkish Get Up, the Farmer's Carry and the numerous kettlebells in their photos.

Last edited:

jtw

WKR
AS soon as he wrote off squats I quit reading. Nothing works your posterior chain like squats. Also, the idea that you should only train movements you'll use is looking to create imbalances.

Jager

WKR
Every trainer/nutritionist/'expert' etc will give differing advice as to what works 'best'. Point is, if you are training, any exercise with good form is better than doing nothing.

Last edited:
I personally think it also depends on where you are hunting and the person. A ton of deadlifts for an antelope hunt may not be as beneficial as they are for a guy/gal doing a goat hunt. I don't lift at all, primarily because they are heavy and make me tired.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I also noted that their recipe for pemmican is not actually pemmican. Pemmican is centered around dried meat preserved with rendered fat similar to confit.
This recipe simply mixes bacon fat with berries. Tasty and practical? Yes, but pemmican it ain't.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Every trainer/nutritionist/'expert' etc will give differing advice as to what works 'best'. Point is, if you are training, any exercise with good form is better than doing nothing.

Yes, but we must settle this debate once and for all for the sake of posterity :) : What is the single most applicable *lift* (not general exercise) for mountain hunting? In other words, what lift and handful of lifts should your training be built around?
On the last thread, power cleans seemed to consistently come up as a potential winner.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Personally.......I don't think you "need" to do any lifts to do mountain hunting. I hunted 18 days this September and didn't do a single lift to prepare. I started off slow with some sort of virus or something knocking me down, but after the first weekend I was in full elk hunt mode. And I covered 10+ miles the first day with the virus.

Lifting is great for overall strength and stability, but is not needed to go mountain hunting. This was also a very physical season as I lost 19lbs over those 18 days of hunting.

JasonWi

WKR
I read the article last night and was also surprised that he wrote off the squat. It doesn't need to be heavy weights to fully exhaust a persons legs, just a proper squat is sufficient.

So far what has helped me the most exercise wise is:

1. Squats
2. Deadlifts
3. Weighted pack hikes

I don't put much into weight lifting. But I think for being mountain strong. Squats, push ups, pull ups, and sit ups have you covered.

Hiking with weight being a really important aspect.

Squats are grey for building strong leg muscles! Just doing air squats is good!