Kestrel Knives - any thoughts?

DaveC

WKR
I had a ti Ultralighter. Very well made, and certainly effective within the limits of a ti knife. I passed it along because the limits on how you cut and the flex didn't appeal to me in a fixed blade. Great for processing game; definitely not suitable for splitting kindling.

chiefhoyt

FNG
I have the ultra lighter and used it side by side the havalon this year on my buck. I much preferred the Kestrel to the havalon. I like a little more backbone when butchering an animal.

I have used it on 3 animals so far and have been very impressed. Its coming to oregon with me for my next hunt this weekend.

Copied from a post I made a couple weeks ago.

Earlier this year I purchased two knives from Kestrel. I got a titanium skinner and a stainless steel caper. I used both of these for the first time last week on a goat hunt, and cleaned two goats with them. We skinned both with the skinner and then broke both down with the caper. I also used the caper to split lips, and turn the ears and nose. I am totally sold on these knives, they feel good in the hand, are unbelievably light, and stayed super sharp through both animals. I'm sure I will be able to clean more game before they will need to be resharpened. Anyone in the market for a super high quality, light weight knife, I'm sure would be extremely happy with Kestrel.

alukban

FNG
How do you go about sharpening a Ti knife?

If they can process multiple animals, are they super hard?

I thought Ti was soft.

I am missing something...

not sure of this either. have the ti with carbide edge. different for sure. been edc for a while and like it.

How do you go about sharpening a Ti knife?

If they can process multiple animals, are they super hard?

I thought Ti was soft.

I am missing something...

Titanium is softer then stainless steel, and from my understanding, the way that you sharpen the ti knives is with fine grade sandpaper. Somebody told me once how to do it, and I can't remember how it was explained to me. If you have a Kestrel knife that needs to be resharpen, Nathan will do it free of charge, or he'll explain how to do it if you don't want to send it back. I think it's a pretty easy process though.

I still have one of his early ones around somewhere, I rember on the carbide impregnated ones you are only suppose to sharpen one side, and it is suppose to sand away the TI and reveal more carbide. Really really easy to field sharpen. I never liked not getting it to feel really sharp, even though it broke down game fine. I replaced it with a havalon so it has not seen the field in a while. The owner is a Stand up guy though and is really really friendly and helpful.

alukban

FNG
I still have one of his early ones around somewhere, I rember on the carbide impregnated ones you are only suppose to sharpen one side, and it is suppose to sand away the TI and reveal more carbide. Really really easy to field sharpen. I never liked not getting it to feel really sharp, even though it broke down game fine. I replaced it with a havalon so it has not seen the field in a while. The owner is a Stand up guy though and is really really friendly and helpful.

Interesting!

I may have to get one just to play with :)

I have the Ti and I believe you only sharpen the one side. I just used it on a whitetail and it cut through like butter. So far a I like the knife but we will see about the resharpening aspect. Very good knife for the money.

I have the Ti and I believe you only sharpen the one side. I just used it on a whitetail and it cut through like butter. So far a I like the knife but we will see about the resharpening aspect. Very good knife for the money.

This is true, you only resharpen the titanium side of the blade. If at any point in time the impregnated carbide deteriorates for any reason, you can send it back to Kestrel and Nathan will re-impregnate the carbide side.