Do you guys think that leg gaiters are a must ?

Going on a MT mountain hunt and plan on makening a lot more trips out west. Do you guys think gaiters are a most for wet grass / snow . I have a use sitka timberline pants most of the time thanks

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think gaiters are a "must". I 've hunted without them quite a bit but I bought some a few years a go and now use them when its wet.

colonel00

WKR
This was my first year wearing gaiters and I am sold on them. Granted, I spent on hunt on the wet, marshy tundra chasing caribou and the second on a mountain in the snow and rain. Even in dry conditions, though, I would still appreciate their ability to protect my pants and lower legs from abrasions and cuts.

The only thing I would caution against would be the noise factor if you are bow hunting. The OR Crocs I have are fantastic but loud as most people will report. I have a pair of Gore-Tex gaiters from Cabela's that are indeed much quieter but I don't have any experience wearing them.

If your gonna be in wet or snowy conditions I like wearin gaitors. But if it's dry then I don't wear gaitors.

rodney482

WKR
They keep my laces tied.. And dirt out of my boots.

Huge plus in wet comditions.

I wear them all the time

Whisky

WKR
They are loud, and hot (can be good or bad)....Only wear when absolutely necessary.

i wear them all the time. if i only wear them when its wet, its always too late. i do switch between short and tall gaiters for early/late hunts or hunts i know will be wet.

If there is any chance of heavy dew or rain I wear mine, always wear them in the winter in snow. When things are wet or snow covered they are not that noisy as the grass is softer. The noisiest place for me is sagebrush but I don't think anything is quiet traipsing through that stuff.

KMT

WKR
A must? No. But I wear mine when it's really wet or if there is a lot of snow. Keeps water from wicking from your pants to your socks to your boots.

gelton

WKR
I wear mine every morning and take me off once the dew and moisture has burnt off unless it's raining or if there is snow on the ground.

In general I don't think gators are a must. With the exception of all my AK goat hunts. I can't imagine hunting without them.

Legs tearing up through the brush against devils club, alders, and creek crossings. They're a must.

I know nothing about Montana goat country, but if it's anything like I described my goat country, I would recommend them highly.

KHNC

WKR
Rivers West makes a quiet and tough set of Gaiters. I wear them more and more often lately.

colonel00

WKR
Reading a lot of the comments here and going back to the OP's original question "Do you guys think gaiters are a most for wet grass / snow" it sure seems that most are in agreement that gaiters are great for wet grass and snow. Would that be a fair assessment?

Moreover, while it definitely appears that many people have different likes and dislikes and opinions on when to wear gaiters, it also appears that everyone has at least tried them out and most will wear them at one time or another.

So, would it be fair to say that the "must" regarding gaiters would be that people should at least give them a shot. Maybe you love them or maybe they don't work out for you but I think they are something that everyone should try out. Much like most other pieces of gear, you never will really know how you like something until you try it yourself.

bbrown

WKR
I don't like gaiters until I need them - then I love them. Walking in wet grass or snow they make a huge difference but they are noisy and can be a pain to put on and take off. Heading up this weekend and with an 80% chance of rain/snow I will be packing them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most of the time that I've used them (and glad that I have them then) is in the snow. Keeps my pants from freezing solid and getting clumps of snow stuck to them.

The one time this archery season where I would have used them, it wouldn't have made any difference anyway. When I finished up that day I was soaked from my crotch down. Should have had my rain pants though. That would have made a difference.

I don't think they are a must but I'm sure glad I picked some up this year.

Along with the snow and rain they are great when hiking in shorts and at keeping burrs off my socks and out of my boots.