Climber

I had a Lone Wolf Hand Climber and sold it because it was too much work to ascend and you get sweaty. Now I have 4 triple sticks and a hang on Lone Wolf. Considering a Lone Wolf Sit & Climb. What do you recommend?

I started with a LW wide sit and climb then bought the assault hand climber. The wide is an awesome stand but IMHO much more difficult to use than the hand climber. I had the factory seat on it and it was too cumbersome and janky to climb with. Always seemed to be in the way and not near as comfortable as the factory seat I had on my summit Goliath. Put an Ol man net seat on and it was either locked into place because of the design of the upper pivot points or not deep enough because I couldn't run the net all the way forward an run into the "permanent" net seat position created by locking it into the pivot point. Been thinking about trying the flip top conversion before I just dump it in the classifieds. Even as a bigger guy, 6', 230#, size 12 boot I really love the assault platform (with footrests) and the hand climber top section.

DWinVA

WKR
I use a Summit Viper with a Hazmore seat. For me it's the best combo of safety, weight, comfort and ease of use.

God Bless.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Summits make short work of getting up the tree but are generally heavier. Very comfortable seat makes long sits a pleasure

jmez

WKR
Have a sit and climb and like the stand. Easy and quick to climb with, attaches rock solid to the tree and is dead quiet. Not the most comfortable stand to sit all day in. I also have sticks and hang ons. If you are thinking of using the sticks and stand as a mobile set up I wouldn't. Takes a fair amount of effort and time to put a stand up with the sticks.

cwoods

FNG
I personally would stick to the stand and stick combo. Its nearly just as fast and the tree options are almost limitless with the sticks. Climbing stands take away too many options IMO. You are limited greatly on your tree selection. Its not worth it to me. Most trees that climbers can be used on off no back drop or cover. Its basically like sitting on a light pole. Don't get me wrong they are more comfortable and Ive killed deer out of climbers. But every buck Ive killed have been with the sticks and stand. I soon sold all my climbers and now just have the stick and stand and carry it in and out 90% of the time. Best of luck in your decision.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I personally would stick to the stand and stick combo. Its nearly just as fast and the tree options are almost limitless with the sticks. Climbing stands take away too many options IMO. You are limited greatly on your tree selection. Its not worth it to me. Most trees that climbers can be used on off no back drop or cover. Its basically like sitting on a light pole. Don't get me wrong they are more comfortable and Ive killed deer out of climbers. But every buck Ive killed have been with the sticks and stand. I soon sold all my climbers and now just have the stick and stand and carry it in and out 90% of the time. Best of luck in your decision.

Theft in visited areas, lock stand and remove bottom two sticks?

ohoopee

WKR
I purchased a new flip top for my climber. I bought the wide flip top. It is a little more cumbersome and looking back I should have just picked up a conversion kit to make the old top half a flip top. Don't think the wide makes a difference with the flip top because you are sitting on the top of seat. I use both the climber and have sticks and lw hang on. If I'm going to a new area I always take the sticks and hang on for versatility. I prefer the climber when I know the area and have the right trees. If I were only allowed one stand I would use the sticks and hang on, purely for the versatility. Im in one of the stands about a minimum of 4 times a week mid sept thru mid Jan.

Shrek

WKR
I love my summits. I have two goliaths and a titan. Obviously I'm a big guy but the titan doesn't sit as well for me as the goliaths. Either way they are comfortable enough for me to sit dawn to dusk in if the rut is on and I'm in a marathon sit mood. I like to sit as high as possible so stick and hang stands are way too much to carry and hang . Two or two and a half set of sticks get heavy and wear you out trying to put them up. I rifle hunt now but even when I used to bow hunt I'd get higher than most . 20 to 25 feet with a bow and as high as possible with the rifle. Rarely get busted when you're 45 foot up in the top of a tree.

Shrek

WKR
45 foot up a tree? I'd seriously like to see that.

Sure thing Nick. If I can remember to get you a photo I will. Down here we have what are called "plantation pines" that don't get cut every 25 years because they mark the borders of property. They are also often in strategic positions because they are at corners or apex of bends so the sight lines are long edges. The other place I run into high climbs are pole pine stands. Trees being grown for tall poles and also we are starting to see uncut carbon credit stands where European companies pay to keep trees uncut for carbon credits. Some of the border pines along the crop fields can get you up over 50 foot for big panoramic views of the field.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the LW wide sit and climb and a like it. I hike I 3.5 miles so the ascent up the tree is the least of my worries when it comes to sweat. It's very quite once set up but can squeak a little til you get it locked in with the side straps but not while climbing

Shrek

WKR
I use an ol man climber--one of their newer ones.

I like how big it is as I am 6'8"

Jdog , have you tried a Summit Titan ? I'm 6'4" and it's actually a little too big for me. I prefer my Goliaths. The old man stands I had use mesh for the seat and my arse froze when it was cold.

PA 5-0

WKR
I love the API Grand Slam Supreme. May be called the Extreme now. Best seat ever, complete with full back pad. All day sits are a breeze. Seat frame is heavy duty so you can climb a tree sitting or with your arms. Super sharp teeth that lock onto trees. I've climbed many that were covered in ice. Not a light set up but incredibly comfortable. I strap myself in and enjoy naps often. On week long trips, I will hang it and utilize steps or sticks.

I would go with Lone Wolf Assault Hang on and Lone Wolf climbing sticks, at least 4. I can can get the sticks on and a stand hung in 15 - 20 min. depending on the tree, with only one trip up. On the private ground I hunt I am going to go to all Ameristep Rapid Rails. They let yu get more of your foot on the rung, which is nice when the weather gets bad. I will leave them up and hang my stand using the rapid hook.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
No one has mentioned Treewalker Treestands yet. This will be my next climbing stand.

I have owned Lone Wolf stands and unless you have a 28" waist with heavy clothing you can run the risk of the stand feeling to narrow, just something about the way they are. I currently own a Summit and they are good stands too.

I can definitely recommend the Hazemore seat. Especially for bowhunting.