Climber

jhall239

FNG
I have both LW wide sit/climb and Summit Viper

Portabiity and freedom of movement at shot opportunity go to the LW, I hate how it climbs and it is not as comfortable as the Summit. Summit can hinder the shot if not careful

Overall I prefer the Summits

Brendan

WKR
Copying a post I made elsewhere:

Tree stands are a very individual preference, so beware, what someone else likes might not be your favorite. Here's what I've tried for whitetail (and I currently own / use all of these except for the summit)

Big, heavy, ladder stands with a blind. If you can use one, it's the bomb, but completely impractical in a lot of areas.

Cheaper hang on platforms. I have 4 of these I got for $50 each, and set them and leave them for the season. I actually prefer these if I know I'm going to hunt a certain stand. I use screw in steps where allowed or will use hang on ladders if I need to. I'll set these up with a permanent climbing rope and bow lift rope so I just show up, clip in, and head up. One of these will be my primary whitetail stand this year. Behind a ladder stand -These are absolutely the best for show up, getting in the stand quickly and quietly. But, they aren't mobile without more significant work.

Summit Viper climber. I didn't like it. It was heavier than some of my lone wolf's, and I felt too "constricted" or enclosed. Some people love them, but not my preference.

Lone Wolf Assault Hang On. Really like this, and have the hang on ladder steps to go with it. It is not as quick as a climber, but not too much slower, and you can use it on weird trees that you can't a climber. Harder to go as high, because you have to pack extra ladder steps. Not all that heavy so this setup is packable. I like the open platform design.

Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber. Love it. I don't mind the smaller seat, I prefer the open platform design. Not as spacious as my bigger hang on platforms, but it does the job. Lightest stand I own. Very easy to lash to my backpack and carry with me. I will choose this over the Assault, if I know I can find a suitable tree (straight enough, no branches, no forks, etc...)

RCL

WKR
Currently using 4 Muddy sticks and a discontinued Loc On Windwalker.
Fast set up and light.
Platform is small but I like it.

TheBuzz

FNG
Lone wolf hand climber, with a quality Mil-Grade back pack system. With a Hooyman extended saw and my bow holder wire tied to the base. I hunt club properties and I have to scout and select trees early on, but, theft is a concern and I have made this work for the last 5 years. I also like the AB workout it gives you. Lol :)

Jdog

WKR
Jdog , have you tried a Summit Titan ? I'm 6'4" and it's actually a little too big for me. I prefer my Goliaths. The old man stands I had use mesh for the seat and my arse froze when it was cold.

I was eyeballing a Titan at a local place in IL today--its on the list.

schmalzy

WKR
Man you guys made me rethink my methods. I hunt National Forest land in Texas and use a climber. I love it, but it is constricting and limits me to mostly pines. There are a few oaks that i would kill to hunt out of. I may have to try a lock on and strap steps.

Do you lock on guys strap the lock and steps to your pack? Ideally id like to do this as then i can pack deer out rather than drag.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
schmalzy, i strap my sticks and lockon to my ILBE. Looking for a better pack for next year.

schmalzy

WKR
E-2, funny you say that as i am running a fairly similar pack. Thanks for the heads up.

Hand climber for me when one is the way to go, along with the sticks and a few lock on Lone Wolfs.

Not sure what kind of pack I would use to carry my lock on and sticks. I'm using Lone Wolf and they stack nicely together, but I have shoulder straps on the stand. Here in Iowa we can not quarter and pack animals out, tag and drag, or use a cart or sled. Makes for a long night when you have to drag a deer across a river and then another 2 miles.

bwhtr26

FNG
does anyone know where I could find replacement straps for the old ameristep rapid rails climbing sticks?

Rich M

WKR
I had a sit n climb and it was a nice stand - well thought out. Just pinched my butt.

Have a summit climber - think it weighs 18#. I don't miss the sit n climb and think the summit is more comfortable.

I have a Summit Viper. It's heavy, but I generally don't have to pack it too far. It's super comfortable though and I can sit for a long time in it.

I have the old version of the Summit Open Shot so it works well with the bow. Tried the LW hand climber sold it after two hunts. Be careful on the Sit n Climb I swear my buddy that owns one said he can't find replacement cables/treads for his. Someone may know about that claim.