Getting the smack down by the mountain... or, my Chugach goat hunt in pictures.

Great pics YK. Despite mother natures bad intentions it still looks like it was a grand adventure.

OP
Yellowknife
Great writeup and thread...thanks for sharing.
Thoughts...
Some areas are simply not worth an October hunt.
Heck, I've had Kodiak October hunts that were a total wash due to weather, can't imagine the chugach.

These days I go early to mid September. Too much work logistically to not increase the odds.
Also, I won't head into any goat country without a bomber 4 season free standing tent. A Rab or integral designs MK series is must-take gear.

You are probably right on the timing. What suckered me in was the fact that there have semi regularly been goats taken out of the even later registration hunt out of the area in the past few years. Oh yeah.... and Oct Chugach goats are way cooler looking than Sept ones! Also I grew up climbing those Chugach Mountains year round, and didn't think that snow would shut us down as bad as it did. 8-12" of fluff isn't bad, but this was very slick, and like I said, the mountains were kicking off little avalanches everywhere.

If we would have had a good four season dome tent we would have brought it. In high school, we used NF mountaineering dome tents for camping in the snow on the Chugach and they worked great. All we have now was my dads Nallo 3, and it did just fine. Just had to wake up a couple time and kick the snow off the top. :)

There was a couple of lessons learned on the trip, but that's normal on my adventures. One of these days I'll have it all figured out, but that day is still a long ways off!

Yk

60x

WKR
You are probably right on the timing. What suckered me in was the fact that there have semi regularly been goats taken out of the even later registration hunt out of the area in the past few years. Oh yeah.... and Oct Chugach goats are way cooler looking than Sept ones! Also I grew up climbing those Chugach Mountains year round, and didn't think that snow would shut us down as bad as it did. 8-12" of fluff isn't bad, but this was very slick, and like I said, the mountains were kicking off little avalanches everywhere.

If we would have had a good four season dome tent we would have brought it. In high school, we used NF mountaineering dome tents for camping in the snow on the Chugach and they worked great. All we have now was my dads Nallo 3, and it did just fine. Just had to wake up a couple time and kick the snow off the top. :)

There was a couple of lessons learned on the trip, but that's normal on my adventures. One of these days I'll have it all figured out, but that day is still a long ways off!

Yk

If you did it right it would just be boring...;)

Broomd

WKR
If we would have had a good four season dome tent we would have brought it. In high school, we used NF mountaineering dome tents for camping in the snow on the Chugach and they worked great. All we have now was my dads Nallo 3, and it did just fine. Just had to wake up a couple time and kick the snow off
the top. :)

Yk
Well, we're all learning out there, and you guys look like you still had a heckuva great time.
Again, kudos for the effort and for bringing your adventure to us here....

I feel for you buddy!!!
I think, more than any other type hunting here, that goat hunting is completely controlled by the weather!!

My first three goat hunts, in the early seventies, were similar to your trip. I really like the late season goat hunts, but they are a flip of the coin.
I have never shot a goat earlier than mid October.

Great photos and story, as usual!!!

Bob

Last edited:

charvey9

WKR
Sorry about your luck, but looks like some awesome country. Makes me a little glad my goat hunt is in August next year.