Ivories?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
What is the best way to clean these up of all tissues? The last of the soft tissue around them is being very stubborn.
I have them soaking in soapy water now to loosen it but it does not seem to be working. I don't want to scratch them scrapping it off.
Thanks!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Where the tissue attaches is usually low enough that you're probably not going to do any harm to the ivory. I just use a razor blade or Havalon blade and cut it all off.

you can boil them in your kitchen to get all the meat off of them and then put them in your pocket with change and pack them around for a couple of months and they will polish up really nicely. I had a guide friend in MT tell me the pocket trick along time ago.

ssliger

WKR
you can boil them in your kitchen to get all the meat off of them and then put them in your pocket with change and pack them around for a couple of months and they will polish up really nicely. I had a guide friend in MT tell me the pocket trick along time ago.

This is the exact way my dad taught me.

Trr15

WKR
Run them through a case tumbler if you have one. dries out the tissue making it easy to peel off, also polishes them up nicely.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Boiling them is ok too if you add some cut up carrots, celery, garlic, parsley and barley. Its better if you add a little beef bullion as the soup is a little weak.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Thanks guys, I simmered them in H2O for 10 min and the remaining tissue wiped off easily. Have had them in my pants pocket with a handful of coins for past few days. Looking very good!
Thanks!