Tent for AK Caribou hunt

I've used a Cabela's Alaskan Guide dome six person on many Caribou hunts and I've never had any issues. That tent does stand up pretty high but you should be okay, unless you encounter really high winds.

colonel00

WKR
What kind of hunt are you looking to do? A road hunt on the Haul Rd? Perhaps a fly in?

OP
Ironmerganser
Looking at doing a fly in to the Brooks Range. Wavering back and forth between an outfitted trip and taking our own gear. The cost savings between the two is pretty significant so I would like to take my own gear if it is up to the task.

If you're looking at doing a fly in into the Brooks, I'm thinking Brooks Range aviation, unless you're flying out of Kotz? And if so, more than likely a beaver load, and more than likely on floats, although they do have a beaver on wheels now also. Either way, a beaver will haul a lot of weight, 1200# on floats, and 1500# on wheels. My last caribou hunt into the Brooks was in a beaver on wheels, and we had two people, an 18' Aire cataraft, and we took the kitchen sink (had a very, very comfortable camp). We ended up taking two caribou, a moose, and a grizzly. One load in, and one load out.

We brought the bare minimum on our fly out this year, only because it was last minute. The pilot looked at our gear pile and smiled, basically said we brought less than any group he's ever had. Next year however...we are bringing a very very comfortable camp! haha

We flew with Arrowhead and had a great time.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a Cabela's Alaskan Guide dome six person on many Caribou hunts and I've never had any issues. That tent does stand up pretty high but you should be okay, unless you encounter really high winds.

Second on these...we use them all of the time. One did get beat up pretty good this year during a bad snow storm however it was several years old and saw a lot of use! Not familiar with the REI tent shown however I'm sure it would be fine as long as the winds didn't get too bad.

Find out who you're flying with and if they have any restrictions...go from there on how you pack.

OP
Ironmerganser
Thanks guys! I have been looking at Brooks Aviation, Arrowhead, Deltana and Seventy North. All get really good reviews.
Snipershirt.....I will be calling you........have a glass of scotch and be in a comfy chair......have lots of questions.....you are warned. ;-)

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
You're lucky, I just bought a bottle of makers and only own one chair which is extremely comfy (ask Colonel00). Bring it on brother!

Akdaniels

FNG
Flew with Brooks Range aviation out of Bettles, had a great camp for 2 people. I think we had 350 pounds of gear. Didn't lack anything. Saw lots of Bou, no bears and 5 wolves. Your tent will work fine. Stake it out well.

rayporter

WKR
i would bet your tent would do fine. personally i would rather have my own gear. trusting someone else s gear is russian roulette.

i flew out with brooks range aviation about 5 years ago. we survived and did get bou, but i would not use them again.

i would bet your tent would do fine. personally i would rather have my own gear. trusting someone else s gear is russian roulette.

i flew out with brooks range aviation about 5 years ago. we survived and did get bou, but i would not use them again.

Why is that?

matty_ren

FNG
If your going to the brooks, keep in mind that it can snow anytime. This pic was on August 26 or 27 of this year.DSCN0172.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ironmerganser
Yep....I am thinking this tent will work for our first trip. May need to invest in a different one when we go again. Worst case scenario we have to wake up every few hours to knock off snow. Looks like you had some good luck matty_ren. Who did you fly in with?

OP
Ironmerganser
Nice.....We are flying in from OMAHA NE so we are trying to figure out how to make this trip work and still bring enough gear to be somewhat comfy.