Gaiters: KUIU vs OR Crocs

I broke my gaiters on a recent hunt. They were some cheap brand. I need to get some new gaitors for the future. I think I narrowed it down to KUIU or OR Crocs.

From what I can see the KUIU seem quieter than the OR. KUIU come in camo or grey vs OR "black" (unless you go expedition weight).

The OR crocs are proven durable and have a good warranty against any breakage. The KUIU seem durable as well but being newer time will tell.

So what do you guys say? KUIU or OR?

charvey9

WKR
I have the OR, and have nothing bad to say about them. Been going strong for awhile now. However, I have been impressed with the KUIU rain gear durability and the performance of toray fabric. If I didn't already have the OR, I would get the KUIU.

MattB

WKR
I haven't been that impressed with the Kuiu, as they are less durable in my experience and do not breath as well, but they are quieter and the color selection is more hunter-favorable.

I bought the Kuiu gaiters this year. I have taken them on a back country deer hunt and a rifle elk hunt. They are great gaiters. I do agree the breathability could be better but they are well made and do the job.

Mike7

WKR
Justin, I have a pair of Kuiu Large gaiters in Verde that I will send you if you want to try them out. If you like them, then send me $30. I was going to put them on the classifieds at some point anyway as they are not exactly what I was looking for. They have been worn a few times only and are in like new condition except for a small amount of dirt on the lower portion (I haven't washed them) and a small repair on the upper portion of one gaiter with sewing and seam gripper.

I have a similar repair on my old OR crocs and it has held up fine. My old Crocs must be 15 yrs old I would guess and are a green color. They are starting to get a little thin, but that is no fault of theirs at all. They may last a little longer though, because I find myself wearing my OR Flex-tex's most of the year now.

Bighorse

WKR
The OR warantee is awesome! Buy Crocs and never look back. I don't care if gaitors are quiet. If your in the brush animals are going to hear you. They work as advertised and if they fail send em back. I snuck into 20 yrds of a bull with mine on this year, pure spot and stalk. It wasn't the gaitors that messed it up.

Whisky

WKR
If the ORs are loud compared to the Kuiu, I would advise not getting them if bow hunting. We stripped of gaiters (Kuiu) a few times due to noise (and that in itself is loud as shit with all the Velcro)... But terrain does vary thus experiences vary.

I don't have much gaiter experience. But to me Kuiu is loud and hot with what experience I do have. But I only wear them when needed.

I have had my OR gaitors for roughly 13 years now. They've been sent back once to have the velcro resewn. They are black and can be noisy, but I wear them under my pants so it doesn't matter anyway.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have not owned the OR gaitors, but I do have the Kuiu. I agree they are one of Kuiu's best producs. As far as durability, we will see. I just got them this past summer and have maybe 35 days afield using them.. So far so good.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've had and used both extensively, and the Kuiu gaitors are the best ones on the market imo.

That's saying something, because I don't care for Kuiu as a company at all.

i used to use crocs, but when the kuiu gaiters came out, they looked like theyd be nice and they werent black so i bought a pair. after that winter i sold my crocs as i was very impressed with the kuius. now, in their 3rd season, im thinking maybe i should have kept the OR. they are really showing some wear and i likely have to replace them or have them repaired.

MattB

WKR
I had the male side of the button that fastens above to toes pull through the material the first time I used my Kuiu gaitors, and the cinch closure on the top cracked/broke while in transit to my most recent trip (probably not something to directly blame on the product, but something to be mindful of). To Kuiu's credit they were great on the warranty side of things, sending me a replacement pair based on just a picture of the button failure.

Whether gaitor noise is going to be an issue in close on game is dependent on a lot of things (mostly the amount-type of ground cover/brush). I have bow killed game while wearing gaitors a couple of times, but have also had to actually roll up my Kuiu pants (which are pretty quiet) above my knees to reduce the noise on one particularly still day and still got busted outside of bow range by a blacktail - and it wouldn't have even been worth trying in gaitors. For most of my hunting, I don't use gaitors unless I absolutely have to due to the noise.

I have been using mine for three seasons now (KUIU) and while they don't look new anymore, they have worked perfectly. The ones I have are the originals.

Craig4791

WKR
Can't speak for the OR gaiters but I have had my Kuiu 's for two seasons and beat them up pretty good. They still work great.

KMT

WKR
I bow hunt with OR Crocs. I don't know anything about the Kuiu gators. My fear with kuiu would be that if they ever needed to be replaced under warranty, that kuiu wouldn't have them in stock until I was 110 years old.

jherald

WKR
Expedition Crocs for the last 5 years. Looking worn now, but still durable. Trying the Kuiu gaiters this season, not impressed by the overall fit. They are narrow compared to the OR in the same size. A good summer gaiter but not good for going over layers. I have a size 9 boot and narrow calfs, and the large Kuiu gaiters are snug, not tight but snug, over my boot Chinook pants and a base layer. I'd have the wear a rain layer over top as it wouldnt fit under the gaiter. Should have sized up to XL but I used them first day. Overall the gaiters seem nice, I just recommend you size up to XL if your a 9-11 size range and do not get them at all if you have large calf muscles.

trdhunter

WKR
I have the large kuiu and so far I like them. I used them this spring a little and a handful of times so far this fall. I dont use them all the time, just in snow,rain, or in mornings if lots of wet grass.
I agree with jherald that they seem to be a little tight on the calves but my last pair of gaiters were loose and would slide down my leg so not sure if I should size up to xl or just leave as is.

Kotaman

WKR
I bow hunt with OR Crocs. I don't know anything about the Kuiu gators. My fear with kuiu would be that if they ever needed to be replaced under warranty, that kuiu wouldn't have them in stock until I was 110 years old.

That's some funny stuff right there...With that said, I've tried Kennetrek, KUIU and OR and prefer KUIU. They are all good, I just prefer the KUIU Gaitor. The OR's are definitely the most rugged.