Feet are fine-toenails aren't

I have been round and round trying to find quality boots and have em. No blisters, very little movement (if any) inside the boots with proper lacing/relacing however, on week long treks in steep country I seem to be constantly damaging my toenails...everything from turning black to having weird ridges and even the growth of a nail on top of the nail which is just plain odd. I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced and resolved this issue. Would taping em up help? I'm wearing high end boots with merino socks and burning 8-18 miles a day but am tired of wearing socks to hide my toes for months after the trip. Any advice?

wapitibob

WKR
I trim and file mine back to where they are attached. They'll chew thru a Goretex bootie pretty quick if they stick out much.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If they're turning black, you're getting foot movement and ramming them into the end of the boot on the down hill hikes. Or, your boots have a short toe box, or you're over-tightening the bottom of the laces. I like to give my toes a lot of wiggle room so I don't cinch down on the bottom of the laces. And as Bob noted, trimming my nails is another part of the process leading up to opening day.

If they're turning black, you're getting foot movement and ramming them into the end of the boot on the down hill hikes. Or, your boots have a short toe box, or you're over-tightening the bottom of the laces. I like to give my toes a lot of wiggle room so I don't cinch down on the bottom of the laces. And as Bob noted, trimming my nails is another part of the process leading up to opening day.

This is correct, or else you are leaving your toenails too long to begin with. A black toenail shows direct contact with the toebox, which shouldn't be happening.

Toenails are a struggle for me as well. Both of my little toes have black nails right now and I think the right one is going to fall off after my Dall Sheep hunt. I try and always cut them short before hunting trips however if I cut them too short they can dig in and get ingrown and cause worse pain during the trip. I would rather them be a minor annoyance (color and maybe fall off) two months after my trip than give me issues during the trip.
The shape of the nail on both of my big toes is curved on the sides and they can dig in and get ingrown if I cut them a little too short.
Sorry I don't have a solution for you but just wanted to chime in and let you know that it may be pretty common.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Yeah, I trim mine....kind of oddly I might add. I do an opposite arc, leaving the edges to the end of my toe so they don't get ingrown and cut the center deep so it doesn't rub the top of the boot. I've bought larger boots over the years as my feet have spread to give more toe room. My foot is pretty narrow but I don't necessarily buy narrow boots anymore for the toe room.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same problem, black toenails and losing them after every trip. I have cured this by going up a full size in my boots, from 10.5 to 11.5. And having a two-stage lacing system which allows me to lock down the ankle/heel area and leave my toes wiggle room when downhilling with a loaded pack.

Loosing toenails is a sign that your shoes are too small/short and that you do not have enought room in the toe box. From what i have seen, Most boots have small/ narrow toe boxes. I know, because I have struggled to find a pair of boots that fit. Remember that your feet are going to swell by the end of the day so going up a half or even a full size may help. Currently, I am in a pair of Salomons, they are much better in the toe box.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
When I went up a size, my big toenails took the beating, when i wear the right size, my pinkies take a beating. This only seems to happen in vertical country, not rolling hills. Nails are short, Darn Tough socks are padded...no other issues. I stop and retie my laces often but think the downhill treks are the issue. Has anyone tried moleskin or flexx tape or bunyun pads or anything to provide protection?

Last edited:

Mmcan

WKR
Won't have to worry about trimming them too much at this point. They're probably goners. But as the others said, evaluate the toe box and length of your boots. Go a half size bigger.

For Bruce, it sounds like it maybe more an issue with the shape of the toe box, than the length of the shoe. If you spend a lot of time on your feet, your forefoot spreads. My feet have spread from trail running. I have gone up a full size and a half, mostly for the width, this includes my running shoes.

boom

WKR
trim them down super short.

go get a pedicure if you have to..:)

on my small toe, i wrap it, because my nail is cupped up..so it hooks on the insides of the boot. i cut it super short and tape it..

Here is a different way to lace your boots to keep your feet from slipping in your boot. I have been using a variation of this lace and tie for almost 2 years. The only thing I do different is the knot. Instead of loop, swoop, and pull it turns into loop, swoop, swoop and pull. You wrap the loop twice instead of the normal 1 time. It is just as secure as a double knot except, when you untie your boot, you will just pull an end of your lace, just like normal. I was taught this technique by a female mountaineer that also worked at Red Wing Shoe in Ft. Collins. Try it out, I use it every day and unless I am lazy when I put on my shoe. I never have to re-tie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc#t=223

OP
Where's Bruce?
Can't trim em any shorter than I do and i have been using this lacing solution for a while now (in fact i posted this video for others). Think i'll try a bandaid next time and see what happens.

Bruce, I would be considering some custom made shoes/ boots to fit your feetsince they are unique. Might be expensive, but if they work for you, they will be worth every penny. Sorry, don't know who to point you to, though.

danarnold

WKR
I trim em real short and file em thin, from the top on the pinkies to reduce contact with the toe box
I wear 1/2 size oversize crispi idahos with a thin liner, and on size lowa's, and on size soloman quest which are very comfortable (no liner, darn tough sox)

OP
Where's Bruce?
Bruce, I would be considering some custom made shoes/ boots to fit your feetsince they are unique. Might be expensive, but if they work for you, they will be worth every penny. Sorry, don't know who to point you to, though.

I am happy with my primary hunting footing, I have MOAB Ventilators for hot hunts in the desert, Danner (US made) Pronghorns for most hunts and Meindl Dovres for high mountain treks that fit my feet fine. No blisters, hot spots, after hike pain. I just gotta find a way to protect my toenails now. I wish the sock guys would add extra padding to the toe section.