Wanna beat the wall with this scope!

So I am having a b*tch of a time with my 1st tactical scope. Is there something inherently different between a tactical scope and a traditional hunting scope I should know? The Leupold Mark 2 is driving me nuts. I've played with various magnification settings and I can dial it in for one magnification but when I change it (increase or decrease magnification) my group instantly goes to crap. WTF? I'm about ready to fling the damn thing. It's mounted to a Howa in .243, the 3X9X40 scope isn't performing as I anticipated. Thought it would be a step up in accuracy, not the other way around.

IMGP4199.jpg IMGP4205.jpg IMGP4205.jpgIMGP4202.jpg

_Nick_

WKR
Is the eye relief constant across the magnification levels? If it changes even a little bit as you zoom, you might be shifting your head ever so slightly to get the right sight picture, throwing off your group, just a thought.

Broz

WKR
Does the scope have a parallax adjustment? If so research the proper methods of dialing out parallax. Other than that if this only occurs after a power change and the rifle is consistently accurate if no change is made, then send it in you probably have a bad scope. I see no differences between a "Tac" or a "hunting" scope that would cause this issue.

Jeff

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Does the scope have a parallax adjustment? If so research the proper methods of dialing out parallax. Other than that if this only occurs after a power change and the rifle is consistently accurate if no change is made, then send it in you probably have a bad scope. I see no differences between a "Tac" or a "hunting" scope that would cause this issue.

Jeff

yes and not only that, I am using a X7 Bulls Bag Shooting Rest that grips the rifle so well, it hardly moves off target after firing. Great bag design but this scope is pissin' me off. I need a scope I can dial up when on game and know it will shoot straight.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at the 2-10 Nightforce, the 42mm model and not look back. Dead reliable adjustments and no question of performance. I had a MK 4 that the adjustments weren't square with the reticle, I had a choice of plumb reticle/drifting elevation and windage adjustments, or correct adjustments and out of plumb reticle....I replaced it with a NXS 5.5-22X50 and never looked back.

ElkNut1

WKR
Bruce, are you right target at any distance chosen while using the main crosshairs throughout any magnification? (once sighted in) If you are & the issues you are having dialing it in is once you drop below the crosshairs to a slash or post then you are advancing or decreasing magnification & this you cannot do on a second focal plane scope which is what you have. Is this the issue or are you having issues with the main crosshair & going through various magnifications?

ElkNut1

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I will be shooting cloverleaves (or close to it) at one magnification using the main crosshairs, dial up or down and shoot a lousy group. Same distance, same ammo, only difference is the magnification. I usually dial the mag down for a wider FOV until I am on target, then dial the mag up for the shot but any change in magnification alters my group which is frustrating, especially when the magnification is maxxed out and the target is at it's biggest and clearest. How can I hit better half 1/2 mag than full? Something's wrong. I thought perhaps there was a fundamental difference between a tactical scope and traditional hunting scope that I was unaware of. I expect better from a $600.00 scope.

ElkNut1

WKR
How far off are your shot groups when magnification is changed that we are talking here? We are talking shot groups not just a single shot here & there. What distance are you shooting?

ElkNut1

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I was sighting it in to zero at 200 yards, consistently hitting 1" above dead center at 100 yards (3 round groups to prevent overheating the barrel) but when I dial up the magnification the group went to 3-4 inches. It should have tightened up, not gotten bigger! And I am using match grade. I've taken the Appleseed course and can accurately shoot to 400 yards before my skill set disappoints however, when hunting I have never shoot at anything further than 150 yards away and usually within 100 yards. Put the smackdown on moving yotes, no prob. But this scope is nothing I thought it would be.

Did you buy that scope on ebay? There are some counterfeit Leupold scopes out there. . Check Leupolds Web site for info and ways to identify fakes.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you say you increase magnification and your group is bad, do you mean the entire 3 shot group is poor or the group is good, just not at the same point of impact as when at lower magnification?

What magnification is shooting well? Are they 1/2 MOA adjustments?

If the group is good just in a different spot, it is you. If the group is poor at different magnification it is probably the scope.

The Mrk 2 scopes are not by any means a terrible scope, but it is in no way one that will give you exact repeatable adjustments. The guts in the scope and glass are the two big costs, and that scope is lacking for that purpose.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would also call Leopold give them the serial number and make sure it is their scope. They will test it and replace it if needed.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Once I went from 50% magnification to full mag, the group that had been cloverleafs spread out a few inches in an identical but bigger grouping. Exactly the opposite of my expectations. I had taken an overpowered ELITE 4-16x 40mm - DOA 600 off the rifle. It is not the gun. The gun performs flawlessly. And it is a genuine Leupold. Thinking i might just swap the whole rig for .270 or .338 now.

ckleeves

WKR
This sounds like a really weird issue. I have seen a few bad scopes shift poi but never shoot perfect at a specific power and then shift at lower and higher setting. I would start out with a clear head on another day and shoot a 3 shot group at 3x then another 3 shot group at 6x and then 9x. Then a 3 shot with one round at 3x the next at 6x and the final at 9x. I think this would narrow it down quick.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thin Ckleeves has a good suggestion. Difficult to think magnification alone could cause this problem.

Why swap the whole gun out if it shoots so well? Maybe try a different scope and send that one back to leupold for diagnosis.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I am thinking a .270 may be a better, flatter shooting caliber than the .243 and will the hole between my 22-250 and .308/.300WIN rifles.

KMD

Banned
If you are experiencing POI shift with magnification change in a SFP scope, then scope is broken.
If you are experiencing POI shift with magnification change in a FFP scope, then YOU are broken. The image & reticle are in the same focal plane, so any shift in POI falls back to the shooter, by default.

1. I'd recommend switching to a different type/style of target. Might be your eyes 'like' a certain target @ one magnification, over another?
1a. Try shoot at MAX mag first, then drop down to lower mag. If your first group is tight, might be your rifle is heating up/fouling out and causing POI shift with subsequent rounds. Might not be the scope, at all...

2. Have someone else shoot your rifle, to isolate the potential for shooter error. Don't tell the shooter what's happening, just have him/her shoot as you did.
If shooter #2's groups go to crap @ max mag, suffice to say...your scope is broken. If not, you are broken...

3.Mount up another scope, to isolate the Leupy as the problem.
If another scope shoots well @ mag change, then your Leupy might be toast.

If the scope is toast, Leupold will make it right.

Probably got it fixed by now but I've seen this several times and usually the shooter and follow through. Best way to test start on min power shoot a group and then advance 1x and shoot another for the entire power range wait till end to compare group sizes