Optimum 2.5gal collapsible water container

I prefer to fill a collapsible jug with water for use in camp when backpacking in extended trips and while I have a big gravity filter, sometimes prefer a simpler approach...especially if I gotta haul water a ways. Is there anything better than the Coleman?

617574_300.jpg

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I dunno...a black bag would heat up, ya can't see the color of the water or is anything is in it and they aren't as convenient to set down or pour. Anyone else?

Lawnboi

WKR
But you can hang the drom bag on a tree, get a spigot valve for it and not have to worry about popping it really.

Iv used those big plastic deals for years of car camping. Now iv got a hand full of msr drombags. They collapse to nothing, are light and are without a doubt the toughest bladder iv ever used.

Personally, seeing what my water looks like, and worrying about heating up are two things I'm really not worried about.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah...they're about the best thing going. Sea to Summit also makes one called the "pack tap" in 10L. I don't know anyone that had tried one.

FreeRange

WKR
Platypus Water Tanks are available in 6L but weight wise (4 oz each) two come in less than a 10L Dromedary (10 oz ). I have no experience with the Water Tank but I use a 3L Platypus hydration system and supplement with a 2L platy bottle for extra water and am generally very happy with the quality and lightweight material their stuff is made from. I've had a Dromedary for a few years and don't have any issues with it but find I don't usually need to store a that much water in the areas I hunt. If I was looking to choose between the two now I'd definitely go with the Platypus water tanks.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
At nearly 1/2 the weight, the Platypus looks like a good alternative. Thanks.

Lawnboi

WKR
At nearly 1/2 the weight, the Platypus looks like a good alternative. Thanks.

I tried the platy water tank a while back, I saw it and though wow, cool. They ended up in the garbage after 1 trip.
Caution, iv popped 2 of the platy water tanks. And I was being somewhat careful. My msr bag was the only bag that lived the specific trip that killed 3 bladders.

I do not really trust the platy stuff out of the pack. They can and will make a trip where water is scarce a lot more difficult.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Hmmmmm.........back to the drawing board. Maybe i'll just stick with my Katadyne base camp.

To be a little old fashioned and cheap, I've often used empty plastic gallon milk jugs. Have to strap it to the outside of the pack but they are very lightweight and durable. Not as convenient to pour into but they have worked fine for me.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I used the 5 gallon version of this Jug. Nice filling up 5 gallons of water filtered and not having to worry about water again. I will be doing the same when I have a base camp. Less time with camp choires more time hunting is nice.

Finch - Looks like a good light weight option. Wish they would have made the opening such that you could attach a standard pump filter on it. My buddy has one that does that with the only drawback that it's not light weight as it has a canvas type covering so it's very durable but just not super light weight. Might be an MSR brand I think.

Finch

WKR
My plan was to use my Katadyn Hiker pro filter to pump in drinkable water to the carrier and carry it back to camp. Is this what most people do or what do they do for a basecamp drinkable water solution? Zero experience. We plan on backpacking in and setting up camp.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Finch. I might have to pick up one of those and give it a try. I have the platy one and haven't had an issue yet, knock on wood. We usually hike in camp when we are out of our backpacks and then find the water source fill up and bring it back to camp.