Shrek's Trek 2014

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
The FSU vs Notre Dame is kicking my butt now. I got six hours of sleep that night and then didn't get out of town until 2:30 Sunday. I've made it to Wichita Kansas but I have got to get a nap in.

Damn, I should have ordered an Icon Pro so I could help you mule some meat off the mountain...:D...Good luck and if you're around Lewis and Clark county and need a hand pm me.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Well , I was looking at what I needed to do and I pulled into Gothenburg NE and got CHEAP room. It's only $42 and they charged 110% of what it's worth ! It will do though. I'm not near as pumped up for this year's trip as I was last so the ride seems longer. I have to admit that I miss hunting with my friends and they started for real this weekend. I was getting the text updates of all the deer they were seeing and it hurt a little.
Thanks for the comments roksliders . I'm not the super backcountry hunter but I hope I can at least add to your list of things not to do.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Damn, I should have ordered an Icon Pro so I could help you mule some meat off the mountain...:D...Good luck and if you're around Lewis and Clark county and need a hand pm me.

It would have been cool ! Watching the self flagellation would be almost as good as watching those camel jockey hajjis beating themselves and cutting on their heads. :D ! It's always fun to watch people do stupid chit like buying a Kuiu pack or praying to a pedophile while mutilating their bodies ! Hahaha ! If I'm there and I manage to actually get one down I might take you up on the offer and I could care less what pack you bring. Heck , I'll put out a call and see how many Roksliders we could muster. 20 guys with 10lbs a piece would be too funny. And guys , don't take my hate and discontent posts too seriously because I don't. If I came upon a kuiuteer on fire I'd piss on him to help out :D

Then you have that dream where you ended up loving the kuiu and sold all your kifaru:) just kidding. Never laid hands on a kuiu so just having fun!

bz_711

WKR
I have to admit that I miss hunting with my friends and they started for real this weekend. I was getting the text updates of all the deer they were seeing and it hurt a little.

Those deer will be there when you get back...and your buddies have 0% chance of shooting an elk...I'd rather be in your shoes! Hunt hard and all this effort will pay off...good luck - stay positive!

Manosteel

WKR
Nothing beats elk hunting, especially in the high country, you can shoot deer pretty much anywhere, you have been their and done that - same old same old. You are on an adventure you can tell your grandkids and its something your pals will never be able to compare too, unless you drag them along one year :)

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Guys ! I'm good ! I'm all in on elk and I'm very happy to be . I can't afford to do both a western elk hunt and belong to my old deer club so I've made my choice. I just need to get my duckies in a row and move west. Working on moving this spring. I was going to leave early this year and scout out places to move to but my rifle project took me down a pig trail and burned the scouting days.
Western Nebraska is beautiful. I've got chimney rock to my six now and about to hit Wyoming.

KHNC

WKR
I leave for Wyoming Thursday morning myself. Deer/antelope tho. Hope you have a great trip! Jacksonville to Bozeman...whew...that's a long one!

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I had a great day today ! Left Bozangles this morning and headed up to Clancy to buy a snipepod and tripod adapter . I think it was Stid2677 who turned me on to this and I sure am glad I made the trip. While there I got to see some of the new designs Terry is working on and got a prototype bino tower to attach my binoculars to the tripod. On my scale everything including the bino tower , OBA , tripod adapter , and SV2 snipepod weights 9.2 oz on my scale. That takes care of my sitting and prone bipod needs , binocular tripod , and camera tripod. The tripod will hold up to the 50mm class spotting scope.
Then on to Broz's house to compare the Nightforce spotting scope to its sister scope the Meopta S82. They are very close in performance but I'll leave the review to Broz. It was very windy so we had trouble getting a stable views to compare. Got to see some elk and mule deer on the ranch he works and lives on . Private ranch hunting is how the other half lives :). I'm back in Bozangles tonight to meet fellow Rokslider Jonboy tomorrow.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
You need to stop in Denver on your way home and go to Kifaru. I stopped there yesterday morning and had a chance to look at the whole line of goodies. Kevin was great and did some fine tuning on my pack fit and Angie is as great in person as you would expect. Bet you can't leave without buying something.