Shrek's Trek 2014

gethuntin

WKR
Not sure if you figured out your truck problems but sounds to me a leak somewhere in teh vaccum lines or your intake manifold gasket has a leak somewhere.. I have a chevy and its very common, actually taking my truck in today to get it replaced. It only started acting up once it got cold. Cant even let the truck warm up bc it wont idle.if your check engine light is on and you get it scanned if the code is that it is running lean it very well could be your problem. Good luck.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I finished one side of the truck brakes and will do the other in the morning. Bleeding brakes by yourself isn't fun but I figured it out . A new rifle project isn't too far off but I have to recover a little financially first. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the snipepod in tripod mode with the binoculars mounted for Justin ? I think. I sure wished the weather had been just a little more reasonable at the end because I felt like I was getting very close to putting it together but the cold was too much for me . I can do lows in the teens and highs in the upper teens or twenties but sub zero and single digit highs are just more than I wanted to deal with. The Minox binoculars were pretty good but I still want some HD SLC's so I'm going to sell the Minox soon if someone is looking for a deal. Stove is going to be replaced with a Ti Oval and an EMR II bag as I was busting out of the T1 with five days of winter stuff. Everything I have is Shrek size so it eats room. I can stuff it all in a T1 but I'm stuffing it and it's a pia. Not a big leap to the EMR II so I'm going for it. The Duplex is also good for hauling brake parts :).
Any opinions on a 7mm LRM , 7mm Dakota , or a 7mm-300 Dakota ? I want over 3000 fps with a 180 berger hvld and maybe the new 195gr if they ever make some. I have a thing against belts and I want to be able to feed from a magazine.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished a 7mm Dakota that I built for the hell of it...haven't even shot it yet. Have dies and 100 PC of new brass for it too:)

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Msalm , you and I seem to have similar tastes in rifles. After my experience with the norma rsaum brass I'm leery of it . I'm not a big fan of Hornady brass but it's affordable so I was leaning towards the 7mm-375 ruger aka 7mm LRM but the 7mm Dakota is more of my ideal cartridge. The 7mm-300 Dakota comes in if I want to really push the promised 195gr berger. If I was sure the Dakota brass would hold up to more than 3 firings at 3000fps plus with the 180's I'd be all over it. The price of the brass is crazy.

dotman

WKR
You should consider muzzleloader hunting or archery, much better weather. Good to see you made it home safe.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Thanks dotman . I don't think that the weather that ran me out is normal as they were setting records all over the place. I'm looking to Idaho next year if I'm not living in Wyoming by then. I might still hunt Idaho and Montana if I can swing it. Having an elk , deer , and bear in my pocket and an earlier season is attractive. The shortness of the season isn't though. Being able to add a few weeks in Montana would be sweet. A new to me truck that doesn't hate the cold is the first order of business.

A new to me truck that doesn't hate the cold is the first order of business.

I don't have to plug my Tacoma in until 30 below! Best hunting rig I have owned for traveling long distances.

Nice thread, better luck next year... Move out west.... You won't regret it.