Filled my tag! My first blacktail (2x2).

gmajor

WKR
Filled my tag! My first blacktail.

Well, a handful of scouting trips and two hunting trips for them, I was able to fill my tag with a forkie. First legal buck seen this season if you can believe that, after seeing a number of huge muley bucks and bulls out in CO. These blacktails are so elusive. Finally got some bad weather and my buck. I'm relatively late to hunting, and it's truly a trophy to me. More importantly, the meat is delicious.

On our first trip the weather was warm, but our schedules were crazy so we had to try to make it work. We finished a meeting thursday evening and made it up to the trailhead of our wilderness area at 2:47am, and hiked in 5 miles to our first night's camp. Tons of bear sign. Late night and very little sleep before hunting.

[image]

To save a lot of time, we hunted hard and well. Solid plan, always used the wind, got very close (<5 yards) to a number of does. Jumped some more. Spotted a couple. But, no bucks. Not even a spike. However, we had beautiful country and couldn't be too disappointed - there are usually elements of a hunt I regret, or wish I would have done differently to increase my odds. But, we spent four days doing a hunt we were confident in. The hot weather really didn't help.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

second email coming soon...

Last edited:
OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
Our second trip was the same schedule (thurs evening - mon morning). Got up there around 3am, and on the drive in (using a different trailhead), the rain had rutted out the road up near the top. My buddy ended up losing a bit of control reversing out of a rut downhill, and launched the car into a bank. Almost flipped the car, but it stuck at ~40 degree angle. It was pretty scary to be honest. Anyway, we ended up manually rocking the car down the slope about a foot at a time. So, a quick nap by the fire at 5am.

[image]

In the morning we started hiking in, it was pretty cold and almost immediately started raining. Checked a glassing spot that we planned to look at on the way out, and kept traversing our way across a slope. 10 minutes later, I caught a movement to my right - a spike picked up his head and froze looking at me at 20 yards. A second later I saw the 2x2 about 10 yards further out.

[image]

We were about 1 mile from the car. Pretty funny after all the miles put in this year.

[image]
[image]

One of the upsides was the cast-iron/onion/potatoes we had stashed in the car.

[image]

Last edited:

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! Always feels great to get the first one down. Glad you guys are safe, sounds like a close call with the vehicle.

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Last edited:

JasonWi

WKR
Congrats! Your story made me smile and remember how many of my hunts didn't always start as planned but still ended with a good story.

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
Thanks again guys! CZ 550 FS in 30-06

Last edited:

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
Nice. I'm right there with you on how that little blacktail buck feels like a major trophy. My first blacktail forky was a major accomplishment for me too (also started hunting late in the game). And young bucks sure eat good!

What wilderness were you hunting, if you don't mind me asking.