How old is too old for carbon arrows?

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
This may sound like a stupid question to some, but when should I replace my arrows? Of course if there is a small crack or chips in the carbon I replace them, but I've had some of them for 3 years with no obvious problems. I've replaced the fletching several times on some of them and I'm suspecting a small amount of carbon is lost when I scrape the old veins off and sand the arrow smooth. The may effect the stiffness or weight of the arrow in some cases. Any thoughts or opinions on this one?

kodiakfly

WKR
Man, I dunno. I've got ACC's that are from the mid 90's. I shoot them from my older Hoyts but they still shoot fine.

Browtine

WKR
I don't replace them unless they show chipping or cracks. However, it's always a good idea to give them a flex test and make sure everything sounds and feels right before a shooting session. I've never had one blow up on me, but I've seen the pics of ones that have and don't want any part of it!!!

Lukem

WKR
Still shooting some Gold Tips from 2003. No idea how many 10's of thousands of shots they've been through. Frustrated I only have 2 or 3 of that batch left. Labels have been worn off for a long time. If they aren't cracked or chipped, keep shooting.

With my 3d shoots I never seen to have that problem, I go through arrows like Marshawn Lynch does Skittles. Seriously tho I've had some arrows for years and I just make sure and stress check every arrow after every shot. I've found a few this way that show no sign of wear but you can feel a very perceptible crack/flex with them. These ones go straight in the garbage.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but this is why I never switched away from aluminum shafts for my arrows. When they are bad it is obvious and they are more durable than the carbon, not as forgiving as carbon but more durable IMHO.

We now return you to your normal discussion...