Brooks Range caribou

OP
Akdaniels

Akdaniels

FNG
Hmm. Not sure why the pics posted twice but ok. It was a drop camp and we were there from Sept 1 through the 8th. Great hunt, great flight. Saw groups of bulls everyday. Couldn't always get on them but saw a lot. 1 bull was shot while I was cooking breakfast. Needless to say my .300 WSM roaring right by the tent brought my partner out in a rush. Saw probably 750-1000 caribou, and 5 wolves (no shot as we hadn't seen them and spooked them when we shot at bou). No bears, lots of grayling and Lake trout.

With out sounding like a complete novice, may I ask what a hunt like that costs. Always wanted to but narrowing down costs seems difficult.

Definitely not a novice question as prices can vary greatly! You can expect $1200 -$3000. My best caribou hunt to date was $1100.

I've always found the biggest bulls in areas where people wouldn't go to normally for a caribou hunt. Smaller groups of caribou in the mountains hold some amazing bulls vs. large herds that get hunted hard.

This would be my first trip to alaska, would like to do 2016. Is that cost everything, getting their and all or just the air service?

That's just air taxi cost. I rarely fly with someone based out of a remote area because that jacks the cost way up for usually not much gain.

Which other cost are you referring to? Flying to Alaska?

I can find airfare, but things like tipping, lodging the first day you get their, tags, ie. not sure, I have never dug into it too deep, just looking for an overall average cost of a trip.

OP
Akdaniels

Akdaniels

FNG
Yeah, a hunt like this one for a non-resident could end up being big $$$ or for some not much of a ding to the pocketbook. For this hunt a small price breakdown might be: Airfare from where you live to Fairbanks-$500-1000, airfare from Fairbanks to Bettles is about $300 I believe. Air charter to caribou from Bettles is: $2500, caribou tag for non-res is: $325 plus hunting license is $85. Assuming you have all the necessary gear to go on the hunt (Which on this you can just about have a castle or go as light as you think you can 75 pounds of gear I think would be a minimum). You have to be creative in your packing. Are there cheaper hunts? Sure, but for me we had a great experience, saw lots of bou and put a lot of miles on our feet. That experience only you can judge what it's worth.

I can find airfare, but things like tipping, lodging the first day you get their, tags, ie. not sure, I have never dug into it too deep, just looking for an overall average cost of a trip.

I'm talking DIY. So there's no need to tip anyone that I know of. Stay in a tent if you have to stay the night anywhere.

If I was you I would fly in a 185 out of anchorage or a town nearby direct into the mountains. That way your only cost is to get to AK, and to get to the mountains. Boom

Bambistew

WKR
If I was you I would fly in a 185 out of anchorage or a town nearby direct into the mountains. That way your only cost is to get to AK, and to get to the mountains. Boom

Where would a guy (NR) hunt caribou out of Anchorage? The closest caribou are in the 40 mile country... hella long and expensive flight from Anchorage.

Ray

WKR
For caribou there are two options that can keep the cost down. Fly AK Air lines (and their partners from the states) into Kotzebue, and then fly out on an air taxi. Or fly into Fairbanks on AK Air then to Bettles where you will get on the air taxi. If you turn it into a raft trip it will cost more for that equipment.

The simplest way to keep the cost down is to use airline miles. AK Air has a good credit card program and allows for partner miles to be used. Lots of restrictions on when miles can be used and how many so you may have to perform more planning for that than any other part of the hunt.

My last work trip into Bettles was $348 RT on Warbelows. Wright's is a better company to travel with and they cost just a few bucks more. If you get stuck in Bettles the old lodge there charges more than the federal per diem rate so it might be best to head across the runway and camp on the river bank. Bettles Air may have another lodging option.

As for caribou near Anchorage that is open to NR, there is 19C. Low density population and may be hard to find an air service that can get you into a spot where a guide does not already have people. Much lower chance of success than Brooks range caribou or WACH out of Kotz.

Stid2677

WKR
To the top... looking at transporters also for 2015

You are already behind the power curve for next fall, the good operators book a year or 2 out, best book NOW for 2015.

Mike at 70 North runs a great operation, I have flown with him for years and will be sheep hunting with him again this fall.

http://seventynorth.com/home/

http://flycoyote.com/

http://www.brooksrange.com/

http://wrightairservice.com/

Have used all these and would fly my family with them.

Steve