New Pack Opinions

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey guys,
I have hunted my whole life with medium grade packs. I am now looking to step up to the big leagues. I was dead set on a new EXO 5500, but after the customer service, or lack there of, I am starting to look else where. I am looking for something in the 5000CI size. I have starting looking at Kifaru and Stone Glacier.

I have not done any deep country back pack hunts, but plan on getting into maybe 3-7 day trips. I am usually involved in 10 or so deer, antelope and elk kills a year, so the packing out comfort is my #1 priority. I have used eberlestock and badlands exclusively thus far. Looking for something a step up and no more than $600.00. I mainly bowhunt, so size/ weight is also a concern for me.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge for this backpacking FNG.:D

Either kifaru or stone glacier will do you well. I know it's been said many times, but try to get your hands on both packs. I'm partial to kifaru based on customer service but it seems stone glacier has the same level of care. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.

dotman

WKR
I have an EXO bag and truthfully it is very similar in function to a Kifaru DT2. Yes it is new/exciting but it still isn't an innovation. I have zero clue about the frame but the bag layout is similar when you really compare them about the only diff is the side zip vs bottom zip.

Something I really dislike about the EXO is the buckles, I removed them all and replace with itw nexus buckles.

Last edited:

WyoElk

WKR
I'm kind of in the same boat. I was pretty sold on the EXO but the lack of info on them has kind of turned me off. I'm now leaning more toward a stone glacier, just wish I could fondle one before I order. I hate the idea of a 10lb pack without any gear.

I'm with you on the Exo, I'd love to get my hands on one but their production/manufacturing is a joke. I'm in the same boat as you, and I've been researching for months. One thing to consider is mixing and matching bags and frames from different companies. It seems that they're pretty universal if you get just a little creative. Right now I have a Kuiu Ultra 6000, and although I don't love the whole pack the load sling feature for packing meat is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

dotman

WKR
I'm with you on the Exo, I'd love to get my hands on one but their production/manufacturing is a joke. I'm in the same boat as you, and I've been researching for months. One thing to consider is mixing and matching bags and frames from different companies. It seems that they're pretty universal if you get just a little creative. Right now I have a Kuiu Ultra 6000, and although I don't love the whole pack the load sling feature for packing meat is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

I currently have a kifaru bikini frame, Exo 3500 bag (just received), Mystery Ranch Longbow bag and Kuiu Ultra 1800 bag. All of the bags work well on the kifaru frame with minor hardware changes or mods. I also ran a MR daypack lid on my Kifaru Nomad bag. Truthfully the Kuiu doest seem as nice as the Exo, Mr and Kifaru stuff but will make a great organizational pouch since it is 9oz as I'll never use it as a stand alone bag.

Currently my favorite is the MR Longbow bag on my bikini frame. Oh and I also have a hill people gear bag and various pockets that I have used but in the end I still like the longbow with a grab it.

So yup it is easy to mix and match diff mfg items to try and find what works for you.

I bought a used Kifaru DT2 for an elk hunt this year and trained in it for a couple of months prior to going. I had it all dialed in and used it hunting for about two days. One of the other guys in our party had an EXO 3500 and it didn't fit him very well so we traded for the remainder of the trip and he ended up liking the DT2 much better because it has more options for fitting him better. I really tried to like the EXO, it is a well made pack, definitely better than any pack I've ever made, but I needed a new belt for it and took just shy of forever to get one. I called three times a day for two weeks to eventually get one to me. I traded the pack of and won't get another. I am currently running a Kifaru KU 5200 and wished I would've had it on our elk hunt, but I know better now and won't go out to the woods with out it again.

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
What is the difference between the T2 and the DT2? Looks like a solid pack. Are you able to add a meat shelf in between the frame and pack to help secure loads?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Hey guys,
I have hunted my whole life with medium grade packs. I am now looking to step up to the big leagues. I was dead set on a new EXO 5500, but after the customer service, or lack there of, I am starting to look else where. I am looking for something in the 5000CI size. I have starting looking at Kifaru and Stone Glacier.

I have not done any deep country back pack hunts, but plan on getting into maybe 3-7 day trips. I am usually involved in 10 or so deer, antelope and elk kills a year, so the packing out comfort is my #1 priority. I have used eberlestock and badlands exclusively thus far. Looking for something a step up and no more than $600.00. I mainly bowhunt, so size/ weight is also a concern for me.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge for this backpacking FNG.:D

Give me a call tomorrow if you can and we can chat about pack options for you. I have some killer deals on Kifaru packs right now so might be worth a call. I've used them all and will help get you into the right pack for you. Whether it be a Kifaru or some other pack, give me a call to chat

Joe
Kifaru
303-278-9155
480-326-9009 cell

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
As much as I have come to love Kifaru, given your parameters of 5000 cubic inches, I would suggest a stone glacier. Reason being the Stone Glacier is set-up to pack out your meat/trophy between the pack and the frame. With a 5000 cubic inch Kifaru, you may have to leave your camp up on the mountain to pack your animal out. If you re-think your pack size, look at Kifaru and stone glacier.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
What is the difference between the T2 and the DT2? Looks like a solid pack. Are you able to add a meat shelf in between the frame and pack to help secure loads?

T2 has an internal frame and DT2 needs either a Duplex Frame or Bikini Frame to attach to

armyjoe

Super Moderator
As much as I have come to love Kifaru, given your parameters of 5000 cubic inches, I would suggest a stone glacier. Reason being the Stone Glacier is set-up to pack out your meat/trophy between the pack and the frame. With a 5000 cubic inch Kifaru, you may have to leave your camp up on the mountain to pack your animal out. If you re-think your pack size, look at Kifaru and stone glacier.

Not all the truth. I pack half my camp in the bottom part of my DT2 bag and 1/3 to 1/2 of a bedoned elk in the top half in a sealed trash bag. plenty of space when you put camp in the side sleeves and the long hunter lid

The other thing is if you pack a full camp in your bag and then put an elk quarter in between you are putting a ton pf weight far back from you and can cause some comfrot issues on some people. I like to keep the heavy weight of both the camp and meat close to my back and not pushed out.

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider

Definitely call armyjoe (see above a couple posts). He helped me with one of my Kifaru purchases and was awesome.

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
A member on here offered up a t2 with a Bikini frame. So now I am really confused. Surely it is not 2 frames. Maybe he has it listed wrong and it is a dt2?

ArmyJoe- I will try and give you a call either tomorrow or the next day. Thank you for your help

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
Not all the truth. I pack half my camp in the bottom part of my DT2 bag and 1/3 to 1/2 of a bedoned elk in the top half in a sealed trash bag. plenty of space when you put camp in the side sleeves and the long hunter lid

The other thing is if you pack a full camp in your bag and then put an elk quarter in between you are putting a ton pf weight far back from you and can cause some comfrot issues on some people. I like to keep the heavy weight of both the camp and meat close to my back and not pushed out.

I guess my camp is too big :) Time for a bigger Kifaru bag, not that I needed an excuse!

armyjoe

Super Moderator
A member on here offered up a t2 with a Bikini frame. So now I am really confused. Surely it is not 2 frames. Maybe he has it listed wrong and it is a dt2?

ArmyJoe- I will try and give you a call either tomorrow or the next day. Thank you for your help

More than likely it is a DT2 with a Bikini frame.

Sounds good man. I'm free all day and night tomorrow and the next day so call any time.

dotman

WKR

Don't forget that the kifaru meat shelf will also work on the DT2 and allow you to sandwich the meat but this sounds like a ton of weight way behind you.

i keep refraining from saying this but man, are you guys serious with the exo compared to kifaru? it seemed like a well made, thought out pack. but with the waistbelt and the 45lbs i tried it with, i would not want a full load on it...

n2horns

WKR
I ended up getting the EXO 5500 and was on the fence with Stone Glacier. The SG is a fine bag, is lighter and similar construct. If I recall SG was a little pricier. Looking back, I like the pocket layout on the 5500 better.