Peep sight on a Mountaineer??

Well, I settled on a Knight Mountaineer and thought I may get some guidance on peep sights. Here is what I am thinking of... Mount a NECG peep on the Weaver base mount and replace the front fiber optic sight with a Lyman target setup. I don't care for fiber optics on rifles due to the glowing halo effect... So the front ramp/bead on the Mountaineer is not one that has a dovetail notch configured into its design so I need a new front sight ramp with a 3/8 dovetail. The question is, what height for the new front sight is in order? Will the NECG peep change what is required as far as front sight height is concerned? It appears that the addition of the NECG peep will elevate the height of line of sight, which would change the requirement of front sight height. Or am I mistaken?

OP
T
I am leaning toward the NECG peep which mounts on the scope base mount primarily because I have not found any other peep sight manufacturers that list a sight made for the Knight Mountaineer. This rifle is being built to hunt CO (no scopes in MZ season) and I am not concerned with being able to quickly/easily mount a scope. Does anyone know of another peep that will mount on the KM? None of the websites I have checked show a sight made for the KM; I have checked Lyman, Williams, Midway, etc.

CoHiCntry

WKR
You made a great choice for a rifle! I'm sure you'll be pleased. Sorry, I'm not much help on the peep. I'm sure someone else who has some knowledge will chime in.

Well, I settled on a Knight Mountaineer and thought I may get some guidance on peep sights. Here is what I am thinking of... Mount a NECG peep on the Weaver base mount and replace the front fiber optic sight with a Lyman target setup. I don't care for fiber optics on rifles due to the glowing halo effect... So the front ramp/bead on the Mountaineer is not one that has a dovetail notch configured into its design so I need a new front sight ramp with a 3/8 dovetail. The question is, what height for the new front sight is in order? Will the NECG peep change what is required as far as front sight height is concerned? It appears that the addition of the NECG peep will elevate the height of line of sight, which would change the requirement of front sight height. Or am I mistaken?

Another option might be a Williams WGRS Peep... Also they will have the front ramp you need. A Streamlined Ramp with 1.625 hole spacing and 3/16" height...

p_962100037_1.jpg

OP
T
Sabot loader , thanks for the advice. Is that front ramp mounted with one screw or two? Also, will the total height required of the front sight remain the same as the stock sight with the peep in place?

Sabot loader , thanks for the advice. Is that front ramp mounted with one screw or two? Also, will the total height required of the front sight remain the same as the stock sight with the peep in place?

Two screws for the ramp... These are from Brownells

p_962020097_1.jpg

962-020-097WB
Streamlined Ramp 3/16" Screw-on
Mfr Part: 1690

I believe Williams says a .375N front sight for this application - I prefer a .343N as it fit closer to center under a fires sight hood.

p_962564320_1.jpg

962-564-360WB
Red Fire Sight fits 375N
Mfr Part: 56436

p_962000016_2.jpg

962-000-016WB
Fire Sight Hood
Mfr Part: 70031

OP
T
Sabotloader, I certainly appreciate your help. This takes the guess-work out of the equation. I may as well admit that since I started the research regarding which MZ rifle to buy I have admired your many rifles and how you had set them up. Not to mention how well you seem to have been able to get them to perform with load development. I did try and get a PM headed your way but at the time your in-box was full. I guess I am not the only one that would pester you for info if given the chance. Thanks for your time as well as all the other Roksliders who shared their opinions...

Sabotloader, I certainly appreciate your help. This takes the guess-work out of the equation. I may as well admit that since I started the research regarding which MZ rifle to buy I have admired your many rifles and how you had set them up. Not to mention how well you seem to have been able to get them to perform with load development. I did try and get a PM headed your way but at the time your in-box was full. I guess I am not the only one that would pester you for info if given the chance. Thanks for your time as well as all the other Roksliders who shared their opinions...

I did go in and clean out my mail box the other day,,, thanks for letting me know