Finish strong

trkyslr

WKR
NOR-CAL 2014 BLACKTAILS AND GREAT MEMORIES.

So last year during deer season Ed (BOWUNTR) made a comment after Joe and I filled our first tags to “Finish strong” and fill my (our) second tag.
Well long story short I lost a great buck on the last weekend of the season that was due to equipment failure, which I wouldn’t make again. So as this season was near Ed’s comment stuck with me in the back of my head and I was determined to finish this season strong, which added a little excepted pressure. As already posted August was a great start to the season as Joe, Cindy, Brent, and I tagged nice bucks during the archery season. I saved my second tag for a hard horned late season buck, so come October I started scouting ridges covered with black oaks dropping acorns. In a weeks time I found an area with some oaks raining acorns and heavily traveled trails nearby. The hunt began and Scouting paid off as I was seeing deer and a lot of pre-rut activity. Day 1-5 I passed on smaller bucks and saw a shooter out of range. Day 6 deer were moving early due to a cold front moving in and the shooter I saw a few days prior walked by after shredding a manzanita tree. At 16 yards I filled tag #2 with the biggest bodied buck I've ever killed and with bone to match. I taped him at 161 2/8" gross. It was very cool to witness all the pre-rut activity, take such a great buck, and finish the season here strong. I'll let joe post the pics.

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
Here are the winning pix!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
While trkyslr was chasin elk in AZ I was on the hunt to find a shooter for tag #2. I really wanted a rifle season hard horn dark coated buck so I patiently saved my second tag. Bucks were transitioning to their fall patterns so I had to change up my game plan and find them on acorns. Covering lots of ground looking for sign I found a buck that I wanted to put my tag on. His big frame and old body excited me as I love targeting super old mature bucks. After locating this guy hitting the acorns under a hot oak tree it was time to go into action. We had a 3 week gap between archery season and our general season so all I could do was hope his patterns wouldn't change. He was bedded close by and I located a few trails coming and goin to the oak but most the activity was in the mornin....gameplan set, ready for action.....

attachment.php

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
I had to hunt every other day due to work so my schedule was sporadic to hunt the first week. I was in a little bit of panic mode cuz I kno guys hunt the area with rifles. I even heard 6 different shots openin mornin in the stand which left my heart feeling empty. But I knew I had to just be there incase he showed up. Things worked in 3's for me this year cuz on the mornin of day 3 he showed up right at daylight an gave me a 22 yard shot...I sent the vpa 3 blade home an this is what I had to follow..

attachment.php

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
50 yards later I finally got to put my hands on the beast!!! I was jacked. My obsession is targeting a buck and taking them on their terms. This story fit that role to a "T"

attachment.php

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
Great ending to our season. Definitely our best season overall as a team. Can't wait for next year.. Good luck to everyone else with late season tags

attachment.php

attachment.php

JNDEER

WKR
Way to finish....Some brute bucks for sure...Nice you guys found acorns as this year for B zone the crop doesn't look as good as in years past.

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
thanks guys!
JNDEER it seams the black oak acorns are finishing up and now the white oaks are starting to drop,,,, usually I think if they have a choice they prefer white oak acorns but we didnt have any dropping up until now.

bowuntr

WKR
Helluva finish.... just as expected. Congratulations to both of you. I'm glad I could provide some motivation for you. Good for you... bad for the deer. Ed F