7STW Build / Upgrades - Thoughts?

Brendan

WKR
Roksliders:

I've been getting the bug to do a lot more Western Hunting, and started this year with an Archery Elk trip, but I do see trips in my future that will be rifle hunts. Could be Elk, Moose, Bear, Deer, Sheep, who knows...

As a little bit of prep, I want to start getting a rifle together, as well as ammo and loads. And fortunately (or unfortunately?) about 10 years ago, on impulse I had a Remington 700 re-barreled in 7STW by Shilen, along with having them upgrade the trigger. Who knows what the hell I was thinking, at the time I was only Eastern Whitetail hunting, but I've got it now. Stock is an HS Precision, and scope is a Leupold VX3 4.5-14. I probably have 50-75 rounds through the gun, primarily breaking it in with off the shelf ammo.

So here are the questions: First, Thoughts on 7STW? Good enough for what I want to do? I am aware of throat erosion issues as you put more and more rounds through a rifle in this caliber.

Second, wondering if I keep the scope and stock, or switch to something else. The stock has an aluminum bedding block, but I didn't do any bedding other than that. I'm not so confident that I used the best rings or made sure everything was aligned 100% ideally, so might want to re-address those. Basically slapped the scope on, rough alignment, sighted in out to 200 yards.

Worth using any off the shelf ammo? Or should I really be handloading?

So - what say you. Good platform? Any suggestions?

bradb

WKR
First how does it shoot? How does it shoot with factory ammo? Do you handload? Do you dislike the stock?

So plenty of good factory ammo out there if your gun likes it. I wouldn't change a thing if it shoots to what you want and you like the way it is. after that I guess its only if you don't' like something about it or can 't get it to shoot good..........or just have a wild hair up your *** to do something like I usually end up doing

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
To be honest, I need to pick up some factory ammo and get it out on the range first before I make an assessment how it shoots - probably better than the nut behind the scope... I've tended to use other rifles recently based on the type of hunting / shooting I've been doing.

I would like to make sure my scope mounting is adequate though - can't remember the model, but used some rings that had a slightly asymmetric plastic / delrin centering ring that I just slapped together myself.

To date - I've only handloaded shotshells, but keep going back and forth for my rifle ammo as I did inherit some of the materials I'd need. One of my other rifles is a Browning X Bolt Hunter in .270 WSM - stock off the shelf, but I'f thought about handloading for that because of the cost of ammo.

bradb

WKR
sound like maybe Burris zee rings, which are good. Really if it holds the scope in place and it doesn't move your fine.
Shoot it and see. My guess if if you try a variety of ammo be it factory or reloads I bet you can get it shooting better then most shooters.
I reload everything and have since like high school 26 yrs ago. But there is good factory ammo out there

The 7STW is a very good caliber for long range hunting. bradb is correct and it sounds like you have the Burris rings with the offset delrin spacers that help to get the scope centered to the bore.
I would try some HSM Trophy Gold ammo with the Berger bullets and see what kind of groups you get and then go from there.

wapitibob

WKR
I have a Rem 700 7STW as does Coop on this site. Mine has been totally rebuilt at this point. I had a good load last winter that went away with the summer heat, got some help from the STW guys on longrangehunting and have a new load easily shooting 1/2 moa. A universal load is the Barnes TSX or Nosler BT in 140 gr and 80-82 gr of RL25 depending on bullet, with an OAL of 3.640. For reloading, use a 7 mag full length sizer as a neck sizer and shoulder bump die. It will have about 2 thou body clearance so you smoke the shoulder of a fired STW case and set for 1-2 thou bump. Coop was using the 175 Nosler LRAB's last time we talked.
There's a dedicated section for the STW on longrangehunting forum that has lots of info and there are some guys that will answer any question you have.
I also have a Greybull/Leupold 4.5-14 50 mounted on it and works fine for me out to 1000.

KMD

Banned
Yeah man, get out there and give that rifle an honest chance to make ya happy!

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Ok, I'm convinced. I'm going to pick up some ammo, put it through its paces, get familiar with it again. Simultaneously I think I'll finally start getting my act together for reloading.

Thanks - will report back how it goes.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks to wapiti bob I have been shooting 175grain Accubond long range bullets out of mine. They're hard to find right now. I'm using 77 grains of h1000 and am pushing them out at 3225 fps. Killed an antelope doe last weekend at 568 yards, DRT. Lighting the fire with fed 215 match grade primers. Mine is a Krieger 1:9 barreled Remington 700. Verify the twist rate before you select a bullet. Need 1:9 twist or more for 175+ grains. 1:9.25 works fine up to 168 grains. It's a potent cartridge and the recoil is not bad at all even without a brake.

7stw

WKR
I'd just tune the stw up ! I love that cartridge. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything that walks North America with any of mine. (I own three) ones a heavy 40x target rifle the other is a mark v weatherby accumark and the third a custom a bolt. I have excellent results in the browning and wby with 140gn barnes ttsx and tsx respectively. One really likes h4831 sc the other IMr 7828sc h1000 and us896 have worked well in my rifles. Couldn't speak for any factory ammo never shot any. My original stw liked the 175gn partitions over rl25 (since rebarrled to .257 stw) depending on your twist find a bullet that will work and go shoot it. Maybe look at a smaller magnification range scope if weight is a major issue. And If the stock fits you well and it shoots good no othe r steps would be needed. If it doesn't look at skim bedding the action.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nosler trophy grade with Accubond 140s or 160s would be the best bet for good accuracy. The 140s will probably shoot best. That seems to be the sweet spot for easy accuracy with the stw.