Layering question

I have most of First Lite's stuff in ASAT,looking for wind and water resistant outer layer.

FL is out until next year for what I was looking for and my wife is asking about a Christmas present.

Thinking KUIU Guide Jacket and Attack pants? Would I be able to layer the FL Alleghany bottoms and Uncompaghre puffy under those 2 pieces of KUIU, anybody tried this before?

Whisky

WKR
Yes you can layer those under them.

The Attacks, while I do love them, are not very windproof. I was wishing I had long john's on under them last weekend while sitting for whitetail. Could feel the wind cutting right through. Have used Alleghanys under them down to low 30s sitting, anything cooler and I'm wearing Guides. Guides are much more windproof so not sure what your hunting conditions are.

I don't have the Guide jacket but have layered the Uncompaghre under a number of different jackets without issue.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I have the Kanab pants and while I really like them they arent wind proof. Super comfortable and great for early season.

Whisky

WKR
The Attacks are definitely more wind prrof then Kanabs, and if you're hunting warmer weather its probably a non issue with the Attacks. I only really notice it in the cooler temps.

The Attacks are a great mid seaskn pant if that's what you're looking to fill.

Last edited:
OP
Jacob Chapman
It would be more for chilly mid season and kate season hunts with temps below 40, can get awfully windy here. You think the Attacks with Alleghany's would be good to single digits up to mid 40's?

Mainly spot n stalk but may sit treestands a bit for whitetails here in a few weeks

Whisky

WKR
Depends, are you spending more time in 30-40 degree weather or sub 30 degree weather? I think the Guides would be better if talking temp range of single digits through 40, especially in wind. They have vents that help, but could get warm in the upper range if pretty active. On the flip side I personally would get damn cold sitting in the Attacks and long johns in single digits. Just depends at what temps more of your time is spent in.

ChrisS

WKR
I wore attacks and plain poly blend base layers last season and hunted in 5-20 F weather. I didn't sit anywhere longer than an hour to an hour and a half. I sat a treestand a couple of weekends ago for 4 hours with attacks and ~180 g/m3 merino bottoms. Temps started at 30 and worked their way up to 45.

They're top notch pants as far dumping excess heat and perspiration during hill climbs.

OP
Jacob Chapman
My Kanab's are great for early season, and if I threw some Alleghany's on underneath would be good to mid 30's I imagine.

Mainly would use the Guide pants for late season/rifle/predator hunting with the Alleghany's on underneath if necessary.

Would the Guide jacket be a suitable outer layer (wind protection) on top of my Uncompaghre jacket and a base layer or two? Would use quite a bit in tree stand hunting and also predator/ rifle season

Mike7

WKR
For the hunting that I do, I don't see the point of many of these heavy single use clothing items like Guide Jackets, etc.
The following setup works well for me, but I don't ride a 4 wheeler up to a treestand either, or I might change things up and just wear Cahart coveralls like I've seen done in the midwest.

1) Hiking in any weather: attack pants only, along with base layer top, mid layer, and rain jacket as needed. If wet and/or really windy and moving slow, then I can add rain pants over attacks as needed.

2) Sitting above 45-50 degrees: no change to the above hiking clothes, but always put down a foam pad to sit on.

3) Sitting 25-45 degrees: Add rain pants over attack pants if needed, puffy jacket to other layers, and appropriate headgear and gloves as needed.

4) Prolonged sitting below 25 degrees: Add puffy pants.