Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 x 40

Boreal

WKR
Howdy,
Do any of you have any experience with the Trijicon accupoint 3-9 x 40 riflescope? The illuminated (fiber optic & tritium) reticle dot seems like it would be very useful here in AK when semi-dark comes pretty early. The 13.4 oz weight seems great for a mountain rifle, and the choice of reticles is nice. All of this, of course, via pixels. Have any of you had your hands on one in the field? Thoughts for use on a Tikka T3 Lite .243?

Thanks!

MatSuDano

FNG
I've got one of the 1-4x24 models on an AR; Nothing but good stuff to say about the Trijicon optics. Rugged, with great glass that's clear and super bright in low-light conditions. I have the single vertical post with the triangle and I love it, but I've had a buddy complain that the reticle on the crosshair version can look gold/bronze as opposed to black in certain lighting conditions, thus causing a drop in contrast. Not a big issue, I guess, but he wasn't real pleased. Not a problem on mine

VernAK

WKR
Boreal,

I just picked up the mentioned scope and have had two of the smaller scopes......I consider them to be great optics and I love the "lighted" reticle. For a moose rifle, I prefer the post triangle.......for my coyote rifle I bought the mil dot....all in green. The dot is tiny but really shows up in poor light. I don't consider the tritium portion as all that important as the fiber optic seems to handle almost all light conditions.

When I find a buy on a 5-20, it will be on another varmint/target rifle.

Browtine

WKR
I don't have any hunting experience with them, but I used to be a pretty serious 3 gunner and have run a few matches with the TR24 Accupoint with post and triangle. I found the glass to be great. Only thing I didn't like was the post and triangle reticle, but doesn't sound like you are looking at that one. I found it great for close range hosing and intermediate targets, but lacking for the longer targets that required hold over. No issues with the glass or quality and they are definitely bombproof. I wasn't afraid to launch my AR several feet into a dump barrel and never had any issues with the scope holding zero. I only used it for a couple matches, but that was probably 1200 rounds or so. I also know other competitors that use them extensively and have never had any issues.

Last edited:

RMLamp

FNG
I've got two Sako's that I've fitted with Trijicon 3-9x40 AccuPoint scopes, one's a 30-06, the other is a 375 H&H. I chose the standard crosshair reticule with the lighted center dot and they're my favorite HUNTING scope. The clarity is outstanding and the AccuPoint really comes into its own during transitional light periods. I wouldn't hesitate recommending them for any big game hunting rifle.

VernAK

WKR
I usually don't get carried away with thoughts of near-dark shooting but in one case it worked great.
Having watched a 60" bull all afternoon and not being able to coax him out during the heat of the day, I had given up as the sun went behind the mountain and was picking up my pack to go back to camp when he and his partner decided it was cool enough to respond. The post/triangle was incredible on the shoulder of that dark bull.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
I usually don't get carried away with thoughts of near-dark shooting but in one case it worked great.
Having watched a 60" bull all afternoon and not being able to coax him out during the heat of the day, I had given up as the sun went behind the mountain and was picking up my pack to go back to camp when he and his partner decided it was cool enough to respond. The post/triangle was incredible on the shoulder of that dark bull.

Vern, that's good to hear, thanks. I am thinking about this for a deer gun for Southeast AK and Prince William Sound. Late season there is some likelihood of it getting dark under those trees. The illuminated reticle seems like it would be a useful tool in that circumstance.

So that I don’t get told to use the search function, I’m resurrecting this. I’m thinking on the 3-9x40 for a set and forget on a specific rifle. I want to avoid losing zero and from what I’ve read, accupoints are supposed to do well. Even Form said so. Anyone recently running one of these? It would replace a razor LH that I don’t trust because of the internet.

morgaj1

WKR
So that I don’t get told to use the search function, I’m resurrecting this. I’m thinking on the 3-9x40 for a set and forget on a specific rifle. I want to avoid losing zero and from what I’ve read, accupoints are supposed to do well. Even Form said so. Anyone recently running one of these? It would replace a razor LH that I don’t trust because of the internet.

I am. Have been running the same one for several years. It has great glass, lightweight, is bombproof and I love the fiber optic/tritium dot. Mine is the duplex with the amber dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. Do you dial for longer shots? I know the turrets are capped but wondering about tracking?

Anyone notice wandering zeroes, anything funky like that? I wonder why more people don’t run them over leupolds, since they’re the same weight class in the 3-9x but apparently a fair bit more reliable.

CoStick

WKR
My guess would be they are more expensive than most 1 inch (lighter weight) Leopolds? Certainly less marketed.
I just picked up another this morning, $590 at cheaper than dirt before tax. The illumination is great and also no durability issue for me yet. I have used my other ones hard.

Any of you have experience with the 3-10 SHV? I have the SHV on a rifle that I’d like to lose some weight on, and switching to the accupoint would be an easy ~10oz. Totally different scopes and I understand that, but any thoughts from fellas with both?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I bought a 3-9 Accupoint for a lighter weight 280AI I am having put together. While waiting on the 280AI, I put it on a 223. Now, I think I am going to have to get a second one. For me, it is about the perfect lightweight set and forget scope.

CoStick

WKR
Any of you have experience with the 3-10 SHV? I have the SHV on a rifle that I’d like to lose some weight on, and switching to the accupoint would be an easy ~10oz. Totally different scopes and I understand that, but any thoughts from fellas with both?
I went from a SHV to the accupoint on my fieldcraft. Both are really nice, the less weight and battery less illumination is why I made the switch.