VPA Broadheads

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
This is my 3rd season with VPA 100gr non vented. I love them. Shoot them all summer long and sharpen them up and ready to go. My favorite fixed blade head.

anyone to trade 125 non vented for vented? I simply can not get the non vented to fly. I can get fly about any head in my box to fly but not these. not sure why, but i literally can shoot anything i own but these. Perhaps vented will make a difference?

SDHNTR

WKR
anyone to trade 125 non vented for vented? I simply can not get the non vented to fly. I can get fly about any head in my box to fly but not these. not sure why, but i literally can shoot anything i own but these. Perhaps vented will make a difference?

Gotta be a tune or form issue. I can, and do, shoot both vented and non vented 125s interchangeably out of my bow, and unless I look down to see which one is on the rest, I'd never know. Yes, the vented might be a little more forgiving, but no reason why you shouldn't be able to get the unvented to fly. Proper spine, vane contact, cam lean, and grip torque. Those are the usual culprits.

Gotta be a tune or form issue. I can, and do, shoot both vented and non vented 125s interchangeably out of my bow, and unless I look down to see which one is on the rest, I'd never know. Yes, the vented might be a little more forgiving, but no reason why you shouldn't be able to get the unvented to fly. Proper spine, vane contact, cam lean, and grip torque. Those are the usual culprits.

I don't buy that for one minute. Not one second. So you are saying I can shoot GK 125XL, Slick tricks (any of them), Muzzy, Ram Cats, Thunderhead out to 60 yards but form/proper spine/grip torque is only affected the non vented VPAs. Non sense. IF you filter down what you are saying, you are saying, you are saying VPAs are the most unforgiving broad head not he market. Do you really want to say that?

I have a different take: I think they just don't like my setup. after 20+ years of bowhunting, i agree with the owner of the largest Hoyt dealer in the country. He once told me "I shoot what my setup likes" and I agree. Some setups just work better with some broad heads. that simple. It is not form, it is not a spine issue. SDHUNTR, we all know you are very pro VPA but be realistic with your love for VPA. Just because you can shoot them interchanbly doesnt mean anything. I know guys that can shoot Muzzys out to 100 yards and can not get a slick trick to fly. I think we all recognize slick tricks have a huge following and reputation for the one of the best flying broad heads - i guess their form shooting the muzzys are bad too...

MattB

WKR
I don't buy that for one minute. Not one second. So you are saying I can shoot GK 125XL, Slick tricks (any of them), Muzzy, Ram Cats, Thunderhead out to 60 yards but form/proper spine/grip torque is only affected the non vented VPAs. Non sense. IF you filter down what you are saying, you are saying, you are saying VPAs are the most unforgiving broad head not he market. Do you really want to say that?

SD is probably correct. The VPA solids have more surface area than the other heads you mentioned, so they are less forgiving of tuning and form issues.

DWinVA

WKR
I tried and tried to get the 125 CS vented to fly as good as my Snuffer SS heads and couldn't. I will always shoot that style 3 blade head, great blood trails, re-sharpen and do it again. I've put the same Snuffer through 5 whitetail this season and it's ready for more.

God Bless!

SDHNTR

WKR

I have a different take: I think they just don't like my setup. after 20+ years of bowhunting, i agree with the owner of the largest Hoyt dealer in the country. He once told me "I shoot what my setup likes" and I agree. Some setups just work better with some broad heads. that simple. It is not form, it is not a spine issue. SDHUNTR, we all know you are very pro VPA but be realistic with your love for VPA. Just because you can shoot them interchanbly doesnt mean anything. I know guys that can shoot Muzzys out to 100 yards and can not get a slick trick to fly. I think we all recognize slick tricks have a huge following and reputation for the one of the best flying broad heads - i guess their form shooting the muzzys are bad too...

Wow, you sound offended. Never meant to ruffle your feathers, just stating my experience. I've set up lots of bows for guys who shoot unvented VPAs and I've never had much trouble. Yes, some set ups are easier than others, but I've never had a stumper. I agree with you that some heads just fly better than others out of certain set ups, but I've also found VPAs to be one of the more user friendly heads out there. And I've tried just about em all. Obviously you have seen different results and that's fine. Use what you have confidence in.

Wow, you sound offended. Never meant to ruffle your feathers, just stating my experience. I've set up lots of bows for guys who shoot unvented VPAs and I've never had much trouble. Yes, some set ups are easier than others, but I've never had a stumper. I agree with you that some heads just fly better than others out of certain set ups, but I've also found VPAs to be one of the more user friendly heads out there. And I've tried just about em all. Obviously you have seen different results and that's fine. Use what you have confidence in.

Sorry SD, didn't mean to sound so defensive. didn't want to come off as a jerk....it sounds like we agree on this subject for the most part. I will play with them some more.

SDHNTR

WKR
Sorry SD, didn't mean to sound so defensive. didn't want to come off as a jerk....it sounds like we agree on this subject for the most part. I will play with them some more.

Try the vented models. They are still plenty strong and durable, and perhaps a little more user friendly. VPA will swap out your unvented for vented if you ask.

OP
Brandon Pattison
SD, I have one head I sent into the dirt. Having a tough time getting it sharp. 1200-grit EZE LAP & strop. Sharp but not shaving. Light pressure so as to not bow the blades which rounds the final edge. Suggestions ?

SDHNTR

WKR
Need more aggressive cut on that stone to bring back factory bevel, then hone like you are doing now. I use a Grobet bastard file for the coarse work. With successively lighter strokes. Then I hone with a Jewellstick. That's just me though. No right or wrong way to do it.

Last edited:
I love my VPA heads, hands down the beat customer service I've experienced in any area as a consumer. Not a field or pro staff guy for them (would be sweet though!)

If you want to try the vented, I guarantee Jeff will swap them out for ya.

Sharpening- I use a coarse stone from KME right out of the pack, 10/5/3/1 stroke rotating after each pass. I go from back (threads) pushing forward with decreasing pressure.

Wanting to try the Jewelstick as well, but for now just the coarse stone followed by a few passes on a strop=scary sharp.

3 blade heads feel different than a sharp 2 blade, blade angle influences this. I would call Ron @ KME w/any questions.

Now that I think about it Ron @ KME & VPA are tied for the best customer service in any industry I've come across. He can literally hear what you are doing and get ya on the right track!

Good luck, vented heads might be a tad more forgiving to form/tune than the solids. Shoot what works for YOU and gives YOU the most confidence!

OP
Brandon Pattison
5b8696cb5e9e36d88257a2cbf9dc7dba.jpg

762c7d9eabdc440de7404ee61487a7b8.jpg

This morning's hunt.