Kimber Mountain Ascent

mt100gr.

WKR
I got the bug...I'm feeling the need to buy a new rifle.

Lately, as in the last few years, I have been fully immersed in anything archery. Before that, however, my first love was hunting with a rifle. I have accumulated quite a selection of long guns and handguns. Some haven't been shot in years. But recent hunting adventures have led me back to wanting to set up yet another rifle for chasing mule deer and elk.

Last weekend I accompanied a good friend and avid bowhunter on a mountain goat hunt. I loaned him a rifle some time earlier but he really wanted to arrow his goat. I offered to carry the rifle for him, just in case. And it was archery season so I had my bow in my hands too. Long story short, the rifle came up and a goat went down...we came out heavy.

When I got home I weighed a few things I had been packing, including my rifle, and was pretty surprised. It must balance really well because I was shocked by how much it weighed.

Anyway, about a year ago I talked myself out of setting up a light weight rifle to fund a quality pack system. Back then I always came back to the Kimber Mtn Ascent. And here I am again, really wanting this rifle. For me, the T3 lite just doesn't jump into my waiting arms (I know plenty of guys that love em though).

So, is going all in on a Kimber money well spent? Are they to lightweight? Anyone who has owned, shot, held or has one please chime in. I would buy the 30-06 version as I have other rifles chambered in the caliber and am more than pleased with the 06's performance.

Thanks, kind of long-winded, I know.

Stid2677

WKR
I have 2 one in 280I and the other 30-06, both have served me well.

P6180554_zpsa73fb1d6.jpg

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
Stid, I have seen some of your posts and was hoping you'd reply. You have definitely put your rifles to good use.

Thanks, and out of curiosity, could you explain a little more regarding the firing pin screw/bolt that worked loose and is this a common issue? Also, was it the one inline on the rear end of the bolt or the small set screw (allen) on the underside?

Stid2677

WKR
Stid, I have seen some of your posts and was hoping you'd reply. You have definitely put your rifles to good use.

Thanks, and out of curiosity, could you explain a little more regarding the firing pin screw/bolt that worked loose and is this a common issue? Also, was it the one inline on the rear end of the bolt or the small set screw (allen) on the underside?

It is the small one on the underside, I used thread sealer on mine and have had more issues. Had to trim the magazine box where it meets the feed ramp on the 280AI and polish the follower to keep it from binding in the magazine box.

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
Thanks for the info. I have fondled these rifles a number of times and they feel really good in my hands...

Stid, and anyone/everyone, what scopes do you like on them? I have had really good luck with Nikon but also a big fan of Vortex. I want to get enough scope but not so much as to offset the lightweight package.

Stid2677

WKR
I found I really like the scopes with ballistic turrets, I have a Luppy CDS on my 30-06 and a Z3 Swaro 4x12x50 with BT on my 280AI and I'm so happy with that scope that is the only rifle I hunted with this year just because I like the scope so much. The BT can be adjusted for any load using the Swaro ballistic calculator and iphone app. I had a dial made for my 140 load and it is range, twist and shoot.

PA190213_zpsc91fdd9b.jpg