Seek Outside & Paradox Packs Update

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
packsunset.jpg

Hi guys,

The Holidays are right around the corner, so we put together some gift ideas that could be delivered in time. Check out the blog post:

http://seekoutside.com/holliday-gift-guide/

News:

Phillip Werner at Section Hiker recently completed a long term review of the Unaweep backpack. Check it out here:

http://sectionhiker.com/paradox-packs-unaweep-3900-backpack-review/

Paradox Packs Changes and Availability:

We're trying to further push down our lead times for our most popular pack combos, so we've rolled out a new section of the cart, Packs In Stock:

http://store.seekoutside.com/packs-in-stock/

Read the full release here:

http://seekoutside.com/pack-changes-availability/

These combos include Unaweep 3900 & 4800 in Gray or Coyote VX21 with either a gray/coyote Hydro Talon, or a Black VX42 Dual Talon. In the Evo line we're offering a Coyote 4800 with the same Talon options.

These come with or without a side zip and will ship within 7-10 days of ordering.

A minor change we made to the packs is that all packs will now feature Black VX42 X-Pac. VX42 is more abrasion resistant than 500D cordura, so this small change will add even more durability to these high wear areas.

Pic of the new coyote color. It blends well, and looks really good with ASAT.

DSC00256-1024x683-e1412433100611.jpg

Last edited:

_Nick_

WKR
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I would be much more likely to buy one of your packs if they had full length side pockets for tripod/spotter. I imagine you could extend the current water bottle pockets to full length for only a very minimal gain in weight. Your talon might achieve the same function as side pockets, but it's relatively ungainly seeming; built in side pockets would be much more streamlined.

When I'm ultralight backpacking and not hunting, having only the main pack bag works great. But hunting it seems like I'm constantly taking out things from the pack and putting them back in (mainly my spotting gear). I also store my bivy/groundsheet in a side pocket to keep it from getting the main bag quite so dirty.

I very much like all the other aspects of your pack system.

Just my $0.02.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I appreciate the feedback guys.

With a full length side zip its easy to put spotter in the packbag. Tripods can go a variety of places and don't generally need the protection a spotter does.

The Dual Talon has two vertical long pockets like you describe and will fit at least a 65mm spotter.

the side zip does work for a spotter, but going off what nick said, and for my personal preference, i usually lay my pack down exactly where the spotter would be if carried in the talon.
just feedback and my preference..

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you have to have a spotting scope pocket, it would be real easy to buy one of the Stone Glacier pockets and attach it to the pack right next to the Talon. Or even two of them.

I agree with what the others have said. I am partial to the full length side pockets. Like the ones on the timberline series of Kifaru packs or even the full length ones like the EXO packs have. It makes it so easy to slide a spotter in and out or even gives you the option of carrying your water bladder in one. The EXO has tabs in each long pocket for a bladder if desired.

I just put my tripod and spotter in the water bottle pockets and strap them in. Don't really see the need for pockets. I have a neoprene cover for my spotter. That said it would be kinda handy to have a couple internal pockets in the pack bag imo.

alukban

FNG
Not really a "rokslide" application with spotting scopes and such because I am in the NE but I have been using my Paradox pack for everything applicable to me over here.

These days it is packing tree stands and bulky cold weather gear. In a week or so it will carry a bucket for a short trap line. It's a really great, flexible system :)

EA6806F4-2E0C-46DB-A202-167F8F0FCF53_zps5r6q0pwa.jpg

FDDEAEC1-B78B-4AD0-A46A-5DF5D239E660_zpsjzxg1gby.jpg

A3B6A5B5-2FD2-4B13-BE7B-84A4F4005243_zpsaedopipp.png

10723F43-FDD2-4DC1-9E43-067946B9CA6B_zpsangsksix.png

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the comments. For me, personally, I find the talon superior to sewn in side pockets because it is highly adaptable and provides excellent compression for almost any sort of load. I also , often times remove the talon and bring it in my tent, or use as part of a pillow if needed because it has the majority of my quick access gear (gloves, beanie , headlamp etc). Access and organization when using a side zipper pack bag /talon combo is dead simple. I don't need a lot of pockets and find excessive pockets to be a detriment and more time consuming than needed. Overall I find the system highly adaptable and that it works well for my hunting and general purpose backpacking style. As far as game carriage, if I don't have a lot of gear I just compress it outside the pack between the talon and bag, if I do have camping gear I put it in bag, and move sleeping bag etc outside between talon (this is using a Unaweep style pack). Granted, I am biased, but for me, it's the best balance of access / and organization without being excessive I have found.