Mid-Michigan Cold Weather

I'm looking at the Sitka Fanatic and the Kryptek Aegis systems. I'm worried that they will not be warm enough for me in the late-season Mid-Michigan days that can get close to 0 degrees. I tend to get cold very easily and wanted to make sure that with a few layers I could survive in these clothes. I've read that the Kryptek is waterproof, but that's not a big deal for me in 10 degree snow - and in the 30 degree rainy days I have good rainwear that I can use.

I recently purchased a couple layers from First Lite: Allegheny, Chama QZ, Llano, Kanab pants, North Branch Jacket, and the Boundary Stormtight Jacket (will buy pants when they come back in stock!) The First Lite gear fits me amazingly well. I also plan on picking up a Puffy and want to find an insulating bottom layer too.

Has anyone tried the First Lite Sanctuary Jacket, and if so how does it compare to the Fanatic and Aegis?

I would like the cold weather gear to be sized properly to wear with a few layers underneath to be as versatile as possible, Michigan can sometimes vary 50 degrees Late-Season.

Thank you guys for the wealth of knowledge on this website! I've probably spent hours in the past few weeks searching and reading just about everything I can.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated, and I will be submitting reviews for all the First Lite gear I have been wearing after a few more hunts!

Last edited:

Jens

FNG
I sat with the fanatic bibs below zero here in sd last year. Base layer, pair of old sweat pants and fanatic bibs. On top was base layer, traverse shirt, puffy, and nat gear fleece. Plenty warm but i had a muzzy tag and had too much bulk for archery. I bought the sanctuary to go with the fanatic bibs for late season archery hunts. Fit is great but only time will tell how warm it is. If its warm and windproof it will be sweet because its totally quiet and fits great. Good luck. P.s. I wont get to try it during bow this year as i tagged out early. Good problem to have and i plan to use it on a late season gun hunt in Iowa if its cold enough.