Zero to Hero Project

Introduction

Hello All,
I wanted to provide a brief intro to the project and my background. I'm sure I'll be on here countless hours reading and bugging you guys.
I’ve always wanted to hunt.
But it wasn't until a recent close encounter with an elk herd.
That I’ve become obsessed with the pursuit of harvest a bull elk in its home with a bow.
You can definitely say I’m starting from ground zero,
I do not have a bow, never even shot one
I never hunted any game, besides a company dove hunt.
I do not have the proper gear to brave the harsh mountain conditions
And even if I had all that stuff I’m not in the physical shape to harvest a big animal like a bull elk and pack him down the mountain.
But I’m not going to let any of that get in the way of my dream hunt.
I’m just a regular guy that set a goal.
I’m going to document my journey from start to finish and will be counting on the guys here at RokSlide and Train to Hunt for advice FOR SURE!
I’m excited about becoming a part of this community, and hope y’all will have me! 2015 Lets go baby!

-Josh Lynch

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
JL, I'd say from a physical fitness standpoint you are well ahead of many bowhunters from a gym perspective. TTH certainly has inspired a number of people to up their fitness...

What is hard to replicate is years of being in the woods hunting and gaining knowledge from screwing up. That is the most effective learning tool. Learning animals body language, finding "elky" places, finding elk before you hunt them, seeing game, etc all comes with time.

I'd say the tripod of elk or any other western spot & stalk success is:
1) physical ability to cover the ground
2) accuracy with your weapon
3) experience to put yourself within range of the animal you are hunting.

one leg can be shorter but if too short will be what topples the tripod of success.

Just remember, there are plenty of hunters who are consistently successful with old gear, who have never had a trainer or training program.

Craig4791

WKR
Wish you success in your journey Josh. Ask away lots of accomplished hunters on here.

@2rocky
I'm going to be relying a lot on the people at TTH and Rokslide for the experience or know how at least. The physical ability and accuracy I can practice and become proficient at over the next 11 months, but I'm going to try to accumulate as much knowledge as I can from the seasoned people in this community and that will hopefully allow me to achieve my goal!
-Josh Lynch

Manosteel

WKR
Welcome, if you haven't found one already, I would strongly suggest finding a mentor to take you out, scouting at the very least. if not actually hunting. Going solo is all fine, I and a lot of guys on here do it a lot, but most of us have been in the bush for years and usually just as much time hunting, be it whitetails in the backyard or sheep in the mtns.

@Manosteel
The end goal for me would be to do a solo hunt in a few years, but when I work out the details of a 2015 hunt I'll be accompanied by some mentors for sure. First things first, I still have to get my bow and start practicing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfPau6hATe4&feature=youtu.be

Most recent video... ME tracking down some rocks for training with a heavy pack. I plan to make it up the stairwells of the highest buildings in dallas on a regular basis. I'll be posting my baseline exercises and max reps soon.

5 rep max...
-Back squat
-Dead Lift
Max pull-ups in 2 minutes
Max Push-ups in 2 minutes
Max Sit-ups in 2 minutes
2 miles wearing a 40# pack
1000 step up in a 40# pack (20" box)

TWP

FNG
Josh,

I am no Chuck Adams, but I live in San Angelo and my family owns a couple ranches out here. If you want to come hunt and work out shoot me a PM with your contact info. It is NOT elk hunting, but I'd love to help you get a whitetail and maybe an axis with your bow!!! No charge at all, it will be a blast. I also have a pretty good garage gym that I can help with any training questions you may have.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh,

I am no Chuck Adams, but I live in San Angelo and my family owns a couple ranches out here. If you want to come hunt and work out shoot me a PM with your contact info. It is NOT elk hunting, but I'd love to help you get a whitetail and maybe an axis with your bow!!! No charge at all, it will be a blast. I also have a pretty good garage gym that I can help with any training questions you may have.
Killer offer there! Good for you TWP. Take him up on that Josh. Experience hunting is ALWAYS better than experience training to hunt.

Manosteel

WKR
100% agree, go out with experienced hunters, I was lucky enough to grow up in a hunting family, every single male figure in my family hunted when I was a kid, the stuff you soak up just being around hunters is amazing, it's the little stuff that you pick up from them that serve you for life.

Man! TWP can't thank you enough for reaching out. Hell this goes out to everyone on here, that is following, helping, and interested in my journey, I truly appreciate it. The feed back I've received so far from the hunting community has been amazing, seems unreal. I'm glad this project has generated some interest and the support has made me want to work even harder. I'm going to try to post all my videos on here, along with my facebook page and train to hunt. My youtube channel is @LynchJosh. Here is the most recent video of my 2 mile time with a 40 lbs pack on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY2hrn-tDcY

Here is the results of my baseline exercises. Going to look at bows this week. Advice would be greatly appreciated, of course i'll be digging in the forum to get information (probably all I need is in here, but hey.)

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSUSPoaWRLM

BASELINE EXERCISES
5 rep max...
-Back squat 185 lbs.
-Dead Lift 255 lbs
Max pull-ups in 2 minutes 24
Max Push-ups in 2 minutes 50
Max Sit-ups in 2 minutes 32
2 miles wearing a 40# pack 26:21
1000 step up in a 40# pack (20" box) 1:25:05