Kryptek ?

I know that Kryptek had some issues with fabric pilling a while back. Does anyone know if they have fixed that? What is everyone thoughts on the quality of the stuff and how well it would work for treestand hunting also? Does anyone have any pictures of it in an Eastern Hardwoods setting? Thanks.

I have the cerdic hoodie and it is doing the pilling thing. Thought about returning it but i really like the hooded mid layer. I also have a pair of the Valhalla lightweight pants and love them they held up well this season.

dotman

WKR
The pilling is cosmetic, I have the old Sherpa and cerdic 2, still mainly use the Sherpa now going on 3 seasons and it pilled up the first month I had it. The cerdic doesn't seem to pill as bad but I haven't used it much since the Sherpa is going strong. They both look fine and the Sherpa is one of my favorite pieces even without a hood.

The mid layer is the only piece that has done this for me, vest and pants haven't or I just really don't notice it if they have.

I'll use them in the stand until it starts to get below 40, then I start wearing the cabelas wooltimate. For cold weather the ageis should work.

Last edited:
No issue on mine either and I bought 90% of it used. I haven't used them in a stand yet, but I will be next week!

Kotaman

WKR
I've "demoted" all of my Kryptek to tree stand duty. IMO, it is no where near the same quality nor does it breath as well as KUIU or Sitka. (sorry K guys) Love the pattern though.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used my dalibor set crawling up and butt sliding down shale and had no issues. My Cerdic 2 did pill but in no way affected it's performance. IMO it is great stuff though in all fairness I've never used sitka or kuiu to compare. I don't have any eastern hardwood pics but if you can wait a week I will get some for you.

OP
F
Thanks for the info. I would like to hear other comments to good/bad. I can wait for the pics. I was hoping to have new gear bought by now, but did not think I was even going to get to hunt this season, until a week or so ago.

What pieces do not have a quite outerlayer that would spook a deer? Anyone used the Sitka waterfowl line (Goods/Bads? I can not get my head around how greens and blacks blend in better than tans, brown, greys for treestand hunting.)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dalibor is quite but not as quite as some other clothes I have. The leaves are changing and dropping so you should be able to tell how well highlander pattern blends when I get you pics.

Too be honest, Kryptek got the nod for me simply because I could try everything I have on first. I bought 90% of my gear from the bargain cave in Cabelas. I have a hard time ordering online because I can't try it on first. Even though every company has a sizing chart, they are all different fits on me. Clothing is a personal think like packs, in my opinion. Kuiu, Kryptek, First Lite and Sitka are all nice and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

dotman

WKR
Ai have had Kuiu, Kryptek and first lite. Now I only have have Kryptek and first lite. I don't agree with Kotaman but we all have different experiences.

OP
F
I agree with what the article said. My question is other than appealing to the consumer why do any of the "scientific" based camos have any grey in them at all? View attachment 20074
This is a close up of Sitka (Gore) waterfowl optifade. It was the closest patch that I could find that was in the grey spectrum. I would guess that waterfowl would be able to pick the greys up even better, since from what I have read, they have better eye sight and are more sensitive to UV light than ungulates. Would this pattern be better at confusing a deer or ungulate because it has more of the tans and browns?

My personal favorite camo is Natural Gear, but they are way behind in technical and modern clothing. I have deer at 5 feet look right through me with it on, of course not moving is the biggest factor.

Browtine

WKR
Ai have had Kuiu, Kryptek and first lite. Now I only have have Kryptek and first lite. I don't agree with Kotaman but we all have different
experiences.

I bought a pair of Alios and Valhallas this summer. I have lots of tech pants to compare them to, Kuiu, Pata, MH, Marmot and Sitka and the Kryptek seemed ok quality wise, but the fit really sucked for me. I know the cool kids are wearing it, but I wasn't impressed enough to replace anything I already had and they were immediately returned.

Kotaman

WKR
My real issue with Kryptek isn't as much about the durability as it is about the breath ability. The materials just don't seem to breath.. I sweat like crazy when I hike in any of the pants and shirts. (Except the wool)...

dotman

WKR
My real issue with Kryptek isn't as much about the durability as it is about the breath ability. The materials just don't seem to breath.. I sweat like crazy when I hike in any of the pants and shirts. (Except the wool)...

I have only used the Vahailla pant but it breathes way better the the Kuiu Attack pants and is very comfortable when in the 80's. I really like the fit but really we all fit clothes a tad diff. When it gets down into the thirties is the only time I wear a Kryptek mid layer when hunting the mountains and on the move, when warmer out I just have a FL merino top and if I stop and glass will then put on another layer.

Kotaman

WKR
I have only used the Vahailla pant but it breathes way better the the Kuiu Attack pants and is very comfortable when in the 80's. I really like the fit but really we all fit clothes a tad diff. When it gets down into the thirties is the only time I wear a Kryptek mid layer when hunting the mountains and on the move, when warmer out I just have a FL merino top and if I stop and glass will then put on another layer.

The Valhallas are lighter than the Attacks, but to me the Valhallas just don't breath...The Dalibor and Alaios are worse. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the stuff, for me their are WAY better options in Sitka and KUIU. Put the Valhallas up against the Tiburons and the Valhallas will feel like a sweat suit.

I thought the Valhallas breathed way better than the FL Kanab pants I've had in the past. I've never worn any Kuiu or Sitka so I can't compare, but they are just as breathable and comfortable to me as any of my Kuhl, Columbia, North Face, or Mountain Hardwear pants I own.

I had the sherpa top and Valhalla pants. I could not stand how shiny both pieces were when in sunlight. I felt like the patterns blob out easily. The pant bottoms seem to be shaped like bell bottom pants and would slowly wrap themselves and spin around my ankle. I did not have any problems with the sherpa piling. With the amount of positive feedback on here there is no question Kryptek is nice stuff but its just not for me.