ONE Long Range Rifle?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If you could only have one rifle for anything over 600 yards, what caliber would it be?

It would also have to be a shooter being your only LR rig. Who would you have build it??

luke moffat

Super Moderator
for a 600 minimum?? I saw a pretty sweet one last week. Was like 14 pounds scoped but like 40" long. If going dedicated long range then its the route I'd go FO SHO!

I know some of the big dogs here will go with their 338 edge Canyon Rifle. For me right now I love my 300WM. It works for me. Not to heavy I can't pack it in, not to light that it kicks the hell out of me. I just wish Lapua still made 300WM brass.

As for a great Gunsmith Kevin Cram. He owns Montour County Rifle. Builds BR rifles, F Class, long range hunting rifles. Great guy to talk to, very knowledgeable about anything that has to do with a rifle, and easy to talk with.

Broz

WKR
Since we hunt elk and this is for long distances with conditions that always have a wind to come degree, I like my 338 Terminator from Defensive Edge. Best I have owned for this criteria.

Jeff

MG_0426_zps8182801c.jpg

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
One dedicated long range rig is tough. I have two right now, a 30" 300 RUM that spits 200 Accubonds at 3250fps and does well for me to 1200, although with it I prefer less than 1000. Light enough to 'transport' to an over watch area and shoots very well. The other is just a beast of a gun in 338-408 Chey Tac Imp (big Baer). That one is an around camp/nearby over watch rifle and shoots the 300 gr Sierra at 3100+. Haven't shot it enough or used it on game yet, but it is what I built for shots on the other side of 1000. So far it looks as though it will do that quite well but need more time on the trigger at distance.

I'd be more inclined to go with a lighter rig capable at 1200 vs. the much heavier one though. Also just put together a much lighter rig in 6.5 RSAUM that will reach out there, but for dedicated elk I would start at .30 cal.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
300 win mag. Lots of really good smiths out there to build it. Hill Country Rifles makes some very accurate rigs.

Randy

Still trying to decide what caliber a, 300 of some sort, but would have Rbros build it for sure......

Retterath

WKR
300 rum with abs carbon barrel. Jewel trigger, defiance action. Mcmillian stock. Straightshotgunsmithing.com for all my builds.

I'd have Dallas lane at lane precision rifles build be a 338 lapua AI in his XD platform. 30" spiral fluted 9.5 twist barrel throated for 300 Bergers. Flat dark earth cerakote with black flutes sitting in a tan web McMillan A5 stock topped with a nightforce beast. (You could say I've given it some thought!)

buzzy

WKR
.338RUM and I would have Kirby Allen build it of Allen Precision Shooting.