which model lowa does everyone like best for the mountains

Luked

WKR
going to work I getting gear and been looking at the lowa boots. what models do you all use and prefer
and any tips on what to look for in a boot other than a good fit

gelton

WKR
Depends on the season. During September the Lowa Renegades served me well this season although I wanted a little more support so I will probably look at the Tibet or something similar from a competitor for next bow season. During October or later I go with the Lowa Hunter where the support and insulation come in real handy.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
we are planning a trip out for early season archery in WY. the tibet hi was the ones I was looking at

MattB

WKR
I have used the Tibets for years and really like them, but they may be a little much boot depending on your situation.

MattB

WKR
The Tibets are a fairly heavy boot and may be a bit clunky and stiff for some hunts, depending on the terrain and hunter condition/how much support is needed. I have used them on sheep and goat hunts in big rock and they worked well, but I often go with a lighter, softer boot (i.e. Renegade) under less demanding conditions. The level of support you need is for you to decide, but I think there is a trend towards hunters being "over-booted".

They are a very stiff soled boot that is designed for carrying heavy loads over very rugged terrain. I wear mine with crampons for mountain climbing, to give you some idea of how stout these boots really are.

Some folks find they don't like the stiffness and want something with a little more flexibility. The trekking or hiking style boots are much more flexible, and will allow you to be quieter in the woods.

I wear the Baffins.

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience the Renegades will not hold up when packing weight. I blew all the seems while packing a Mule Deer down a mountain. Nice to have a lighter boot for archery might try the Cevedals or Baltoro Leather Lined this next season for archery.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the bighorn hunters once the weather cools a little. great boot. does take some time to break in but once its done, its very comfortable and can handle whatever you throw at it.

gmajor

WKR
I cannot overemphasize how much I love my Lowa Rangers. I've used them with crampons while mountaineering, and used them in 90+ desert. They're great. But, boots are an incredibly personal purchase.

Craig4791

WKR
I have beat the hell out of my Tibets for two seasons now and although the tread is getting pretty worn they are still going strong. Great boots but you gotta find what work for your feet too. I've tried several high end boots but the Tibets are the only ones so far that are tough and don't tear my feet up in some way.

I cannot overemphasize how much I love my Lowa Rangers. I've used them with crampons while mountaineering, and used them in 90+ desert. They're great. But, boots are an incredibly personal purchase.

I will Echo this statement as well, the Rangers have been the perfect all around boot for me. Not one hot spot or blister since the first step.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked up a pair of the Lowa Bighorns this fall for backpack / mountain hunts in cool to cold weather. These are the first boots I have worn in a long time with NO blisters. Lathrop & Sons was a great help picking the boot for my foot. I really wanted something different, but Steve pushed me to the Bighorn and I'm glad I listened to him! For light, early season stuff I picked up at trick from the Moffats and just run my Salomon XA Pro 3D GTXs. (I think they use the Speedcross though). They work great in a large variety of terrain and I have no problem carrying a load of 40-50lbs with them.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have gone through 2 sets now of Lowa Hunter Extremes...awesome boots and really like them. I also have been using the Lowa Cevedales from Lathrop and Sons and they are a very nice relatively lightweight boot for how stiff they are. You foot will tell ya which one is best.

danarnold

WKR
I have a pair of Tibets, I like them dam nice boots, but elk hunting in Mt this season I kept going back to a pair of Salomon quest gtx, I've got a pair of Crispi Idaho's that were my fav until i used the Quest

I agree with MattB
"The level of support you need is for you to decide, but I think there is a trend towards hunters being "over-booted".

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
depends on the season (temps and moisture level) and fit if you ask me. Find a boot that fits you best, regardless if it says Lowa on it or not. I've found with early season, warmer temps and high activity levels that GTX (or similar waterproof liners) boots make my feet sweat so bad that they might as well not be waterproof. With that said I ordered a pair of Lowa Baffin Pros (leather lined boot). I have a low volume foot so I had some fit issues right away but I threw a 3 mm flatbed filler undersole underneath my orange superfeet and they fit fantastic now. The leather lining definitely breathes better than gtx lined boots. Now obviously if you're going to be in super wet conditions that you can never get away from or you'll be standing in water a lot, then these boots may not work for you. So far mine havent given me any problems in wet grass or light rain (puddles). I hear a lot of good things about the tibets (both gtx and leather lined available).

If I could start all over again, I think I'd get in contact with lanthrop and sons about either a custom foot bed and/or boots. I don't think I have ever heard anyone who went to lanthrop and sons walk away disappointed or unsatisfied. Seems a bit spendy but a It took me at 3 pairs of boots to start figuring out what really worked so in hindsight, cost wise, I dont think it would have cost me any more and I might have been happier right away.

Kotaman

WKR
I wear the Lowa Ranger for work everyday...Also own Hunter Extremes, Clevedales, Tibets and Bighorns. My "go to" boot in the Mountains are my Lowa Bighorns. So much so, I bought a second pair to have on hand. I love my Hunter Extremes for snow shoeing...Like others have said, it is all about the fit. As nice as the Tibets are, they just don't fit me right.