Letting Down

LostArra

WKR
Anyone "practice" letting down after coming to anchor or near anchor?

If something happens to break my concentration while drawing I try to let down rather than risk a distracted or hurried shot.
I've found an extended hold at anchor is not a good option for me as it breaks up my shot sequence.
It can also be very clumsy so I've started just letting down a few times when I go out to practice.

Some examples of these distractions I've experienced are a gnat in the eye, wired/pressured whitetails quickly moving especially if they look at me or getting a scent they don't like. Sometimes it's deer just bothering each other if fawns are around or the bucks are nosing the does. Hogs are the absolute worst about jittering around or changing positions.

I guess time will tell if it helps but I like to "practice" situations that might occur at crunch time.

I do also. I've found that it increases my awareness of the shot sequence and feel of the shot so in that sense it has made me more consistent

PJG

WKR
Anyone that's taken Rod Jenkins clinic knows that letting done is part of the training process that Rod teaches, and Rod believes it must be practiced.

"Letting down" has been a great tool for me. I used it a lot when shooting compounds. For trad bows, it takes a lot of discipline on my part to let down instead of just letting the arrow go. It also helps me to not "force" or "rush" the shot. I usually tell people that if one step in your shot sequence goes wrong, just let down and start over.

There are a few exceptions in the field where I try to overcome the "situation" and just hold, but for the most part, I try to let down.

Practicing letting down is a great thing to practice. At the same time you should also be practicing extended holds at anchor. For that time you draw back and get pinned down and can't let down. With that practice letting down after an extended hold as well, it is amazing how much different it is letting down after a 30+ second hold.

I am pretty sure that a 30+ second hold with my 65lb recurve is not going to result in a good shot, no matter how much practice I put in. I'll just go with letting down.