Anyone use the Sitka Timberline Pants?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Just picked these from Midway for everything from backpacking to elk hunting. Ive been using the Kryptek Alios for the past few years. Wanted a good all around outdoor pants non camo so got the Moss color. Would love to know some real world experience. Do they run hot? They are Sitka so I am pretty confident in the fit and finish but would love to hear peoples review.

Thanks fellas.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tested them and think they are a great cooler / cold weather pant. However, I found that the pair I had ran a good 1-2" short. I ended up selling them. I have heard rumors from Sitka that will be offering a 32Tall in the near future. Excited to try them again if they do. Sweet pant for right season.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I used them this year during October in Idaho for elk. I like them. They are probably not something I would wear in 75+ degree weather, but they breathe decently well. I pulled the kneepads because I found them annoying (I also own the mountain pants and did the same thing), but the reinforced material on the knees and back are nice as I am constantly grinding them through rough areas. They have taken a beating so far and I haven't noticed anything falling apart or any holes yet. I like that the side hip pockets have a zipper whereas the mountain pants do not. They aren't the lightest pants, but I am pretty sure the purpose was to be more rugged, which has so far panned out to be true. The target time for when I use these pants is October or later in the mountains when the temperature is below 60.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
WestDan, it has been my experience (and my hunting buddy's) that the knee pads take a breaking in period. After about 10 days of field time they seem to break in and grow on you. My favorite feature on the pants, but took a while to get used to and break in. Might not work for you as we are all different, but worth trying if you like the idea of having integrated knee pads. My hunting buddy drilled holes in his to make them more breathable, so that is an option as well.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
HC, I will have to try that out and see if I like them better after a break in. I don't feel I necessarily need them, but I like the idea and I am sure they are nice to have in the rocks.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Fellas. Appreciate the feedback. So Sounds like they are hot in warmer weather..... Was hoping I could wear them in the summer also but not much in the rugged department for hot weather. Just gotta suck it up I guess or wear some of my lighter backpacking pants during really warm times.

danarnold

WKR
I sold my mountain pants and replaced them with Timberline Pants, gonna try em out this weekend
I dont care for the zip top front pockets (near the belt) compared to non zip, they are a little heavier than Mountain, I think I'm gonna like em

My new for 14 90% pant is badass for active times or warmer weather

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Was definitley thinking about scoring the 90% pants.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My only complaint with the 90% pant is the zippered hand pockets. I wish they were more like the Mt Pants. But they work and are surprisingly breathable!

sr80

WKR
love my timberlines, wore them on my august stone sheep hunt and I am still wearing them into November here in the interior of british Columbia. I never did try the knee pads, took em out right away. But love the water proof knees and seat.

kodiakfly

WKR
I used them this year during October in Idaho for elk. I like them. They are probably not something I would wear in 75+ degree weather, but they breathe decently well. I pulled the kneepads because I found them annoying (I also own the mountain pants and did the same thing), but the reinforced material on the knees and back are nice as I am constantly grinding them through rough areas. They have taken a beating so far and I haven't noticed anything falling apart or any holes yet. I like that the side hip pockets have a zipper whereas the mountain pants do not. They aren't the lightest pants, but I am pretty sure the purpose was to be more rugged, which has so far panned out to be true. The target time for when I use these pants is October or later in the mountains when the temperature is below 60.

Exactly.

WestDan, it has been my experience (and my hunting buddy's) that the knee pads take a breaking in period. After about 10 days of field time they seem to break in and grow on you. My favorite feature on the pants, but took a while to get used to and break in. Might not work for you as we are all different, but worth trying if you like the idea of having integrated knee pads. My hunting buddy drilled holes in his to make them more breathable, so that is an option as well.

I pulled my knee pads because in OR gaiters, the knee pads got pushed up and I looked like a minotaur and they felt weird. Without gaiters, they'd not be an issue for me.

I beat the hell out of mine and I love them. I even bought a pair and grey for wearing daily around town. They're tough and bomber and work great above and below the Timberline.

These are my GO TO pants for most hunts, they are as close to perfect as any I have found.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I got them the other day. Ordered the moss color. Man I'm stoked about these. Can't wait to use them. Fit an finish is awesome. I'm going to leave the pads in and try to get used to them. Thanks for all the feedback and backing up my buying decision.

The kneepads on my Mountain pants saved me once during a bear hunt. I stumbled and landed on both knees HARD on a sharp, wedge shaped chunk of granite. I was sure I wouldn't be able to get up much less walk out. I was astounded to not only stand and walk but continued to hunt the entire day uninjured. Big fan of those pads! Got my bear too!

I have the moss Jetstream jacket and found it was a subtle way to meet other hunters. They're like, "Is that a Sitka Gear jacket? Do you hunt?" Here in CA it isn't popular to be a hunter.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
WB I was thinking about snagging that Jetstream. For most of my hunting I think Id be to hot in it. From what I understand its for any temps under 45 degrees. Maybe a good edc coat for colder weather. Is that accurate or can it be used comfortably in warmer climates lets say under 65 degrees? I have a Kryptek hunting jacket and use a nice LLBean softshell in green for my Edc. Love that jacket.

Bighorse

WKR
Fit is fine.....The seat coverage is a bit much in my opinion and could be of a more waterproof material. My biggest issue with this pant is that the material once wet doesn't dry quick enough. They will leave you chilled in anykind of wet area. I bring them into a hot tepee and still very minimal drying compared to my other high performance fabrics. The quiet pocket doesn't engage well either. It's functional with a nice cut. I like Optifade as a camo pattern. Id prefer the ascent pant layered with the stormfront pant should the water be an issue.

kodiakfly

WKR
WB I was thinking about snagging that Jetstream. For most of my hunting I think Id be to hot in it. From what I understand its for any temps under 45 degrees. Maybe a good edc coat for colder weather. Is that accurate or can it be used comfortably in warmer climates lets say under 65 degrees? I have a Kryptek hunting jacket and use a nice LLBean softshell in green for my Edc. Love that jacket.

Depends on your activity level. I'm a Jetstream fan. But even down into the 30's if I'm active, it's too much unless the wind is howling or spitting rain. But if you're stand hunting, you could wear it up into the 50's or 60's, adjusting your baselayer accordingly. Pit zips are nice and it's a versatile jacket.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Depends on your activity level. I'm a Jetstream fan. But even down into the 30's if I'm active, it's too much unless the wind is howling or spitting rain. But if you're stand hunting, you could wear it up into the 50's or 60's, adjusting your baselayer accordingly. Pit zips are nice and it's a versatile jacket.

Thanks KF. Appreciate that. I may look at one next year.

I rarely wear a jacket when on the move, a wind shirt and/or vest perhaps but the jacket is primarily for still hunting. My Timberline pants took 30 minutes to dry out after walking thru high, wet grass in the predawn hours. Wasn't an issue. The Stormfront pants and gaiters are too loud IMO...at least for bowhunting they are.

Last edited: