Paypal policy question

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Section 4.1 of the paypal rules at https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#4 reads:

4. Receiving Money.
4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

Sellers may not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal as a payment method.

Does rokslide have a policy regarding this rule and/or is it something commonly violated and if a seller requests the difference AFTER the payment is made, item was shipped and the sale complete...how should you handle it? Seller wants the fee that was deducted from buyer's payment for goods. Doesn't seem right to me, especially since this was not discussed prior to purchase.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Commonly violated yes, should it be discussed before of course. I would say the seller should honor the deal but if not and its a deal breaker than walk away. I see this was probably for the big wigs to answer sorry for weighing in

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Easy way to deal with this is include that in your original asking price....or tack it on to shipping costs.....lots of ways to skin this cat with semantics ;)

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Advice on how to handle a request for this money after you've paid and item shipped? Seller claims buyer always pays the PP fee but that's just his opinion.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice on how to handle a request for this money after you've paid and item shipped? Seller claims buyer always pays the PP fee but that's just his opinion.

Done deal and they are asking for more ?? If it wasn't spelled out before the deal was done its just BS

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Seller should have stated this ahead of time. Otherwise seller eats the fee. Unless it was a huge transaction it doesn't seem to me that the seller should make a huge deal out of it and risk doing business in the forum. By selling here you already avoid eBay fees and so it isn't worth putting folks off by nit picking.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
seller should have stated this ahead of time. Otherwise seller eats the fee. Unless it was a huge transaction it doesn't seem to me that the seller should make a huge deal out of it and risk doing business in the forum. By selling here you already avoid ebay fees and so it isn't worth putting folks off by nit picking.

^^^^
this

danarnold

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the seller, and I'm not completely faultless, and I'm not trying to get in a huge pissing match over it

I like the advice I've gotten from this site, invaluable!

Heres the conversation as it happened...

here's my beef.
I dont do much paypal but my post for my EE quilts did say " paypal gift"
when i recieved me email confirmation it states the correct dollar amount, when I transferred it I realized I was charged the fee and sent Bruce a pm about making it good, for whatever reason " I was deleting my msg box and saw his handle RE: poles" I thought I'd bought trekking poles from him and thought we had a respectful relationship so I brought it up

then he sends me this pm and posts a new thread RE" paypal policy

I can get over the $15 lesson but would like to let people know who theyre dealing with, I dont bitch much but right is right and wrong is wrong. ..I do admit I should have studied my invoice before shipping but I've never been screwed over on this forum,feeling a common bond and somewhat trust in the members

now he wants to change the way people buy and sell on here?

thanks dan

Re: ee quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce?
Quote Originally Posted by danarnold
I just transferred my paypal funds, you didn't paypal "gift" the funds, shorting me outta $15.25, my mistake on not noticing before I shipped but I hope you make good on it, I bought your trekking poles months ago and pp gift is the standard or the buyer pays the diff, thanks dan

You have me confused with someone else, I have not sold any trekking poles and the request you are making is a violation of paypal rules section 4.1:
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...reement-full#4
you are correct, I sent you a pm asking about poles, you didn't sell me a set

" off subject from your pack post but what kind of trekking poles are you using or recommend?
thanks Dan "

but I sold you 2 EE quilts for $350 and $150 and you didnt use the agreed terms, if you feel good about that I guess I thought better of you, Karma's a bitch tho

krueger

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I don't understand why the buyer would start a thread looking for justification to not pay the $15. It seems cut and dry to me, seller clearly asked for pp gift and the buyer didn't follow through with it. Seems incredibility petty to not just work this out between the two of you over $15 but instead air out the "bad" dealings on the forum for everyone to see. I would do what was agreed upon with the deal and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Yeti

FNG
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easy way to deal with this is include that in your original asking price....or tack it on to shipping costs.....lots of ways to skin this cat with semantics ;)

I have alway felt this is the better way of doing things just include the fee into your price .

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Over $15 I would just pay the guy rather than have him feel I slighted him. $15 is not worth hard feelings even if you were in the right. Technically Bruce is right legally, however as a pretty standard practice on here almost everyone gifts. I always gift unless it is a big ticket item or a new seller that I don't know and then I cover the Pp fee.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I tried to find the original post to confirm the "gift" claim but it has been deleted. I will take the seller's word for it, he knows the purchase was for a guy serving overseas (he's a Marine in Afganistan) and I was his middleman. That said and even though it is a violation of PP policy (and one I always adhere to when accepting funds) I have transferred the balance to the sellers acct. But I question whether this should really be an issue...the guidelines we agree to when using Paypal seem pretty plain to me. I would not risk losing my PP acct by defrauding em their small percentage. Thank you all for your input. Apparently there is no hard & fast policy regarding this on RS. Asked and answered.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't take this the wrong way... but let's be honest here. You tried to break the paypal policy of using a gift payment. Seller is dumb for risking his ability to use the best p2p payment service out there. Buyer is stupid for doing a deal that is illegal. Besides that, if the item was never shipped you would have zero recourse because you broke their policy.

Follow the rules
Pay the stupid fees (it protects the buyer and the seller)
Don't whine on the forum when you get hosed for breaking the rules.

It seems both parties were wrong in this transaction. But I side with the buyer, he was covering his butt, the seller was being petty for $15.25. I just bought a bow on archerytalk... the guy said he was ok with me using paypal gift, I offered to just pay the fees because the 21 bucks I would have saved would be nothing compared to the 700 I'd have been out if the bow never showed up.

Seems pretty simple to me... Transact like adults and there are no issues.

Joe

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also dont think that this is something that Rokslide should have to have a policy over. The contract you are making is between you, paypal, and the buyer. Rokslide is an innocent 3rd party. They do not have the time and dont get payed enough to babysit. Too many upset transactions like this and we are going to lose our classified sections... then what?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
RS does this as a favor to its members! I would much rather shut down the classified all together. It's an epic pain in the ass......The method of payment is on you guys. If someone gets ripped off then I need to hear about it. This doesn't sound like anyone is really getting screwed. Ask questions BEFORE you buy.