Bino Harness

n2horns

WKR
What does everyone use for a bino harness? I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42 and looking for some efficient harness to possible attach/hold ranger finder and wind powder especially during archery.

Or is there a combination of items that make up what I am looking for.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Alaska Guide Creations....I have 12X50 Razor HDs and I keep my rangefinder in the front pouch..my wind meter on the sleeve on the top flap, my havalon on one of the side pouches, extra rounds and chapstick in the other side pocket, and license and tags in the pocket on the back.

They sell them at the RokSlide store. Been using them since 2009 and still haven't found anything better.

Its nice to be able to drop your pack if needed and still have your license, tags, GPS, and knife with and even a snack bar if your stalk gets away from you. I try to never leave my pack behind regardless, but sometimes it still happens

Ryan Avery has tasks me with doing a review on this since I have 6+ years with one now, hope to have that up before Thanksgiving.

Anyways, here is the link to buying them in the RokSlide store:

http://www.rokslide.com/store/category/23-alaska-guide-creations-bino-harness

I have the size large that isn't carried by RokSlide but a lot more options at the actual website as well your 10X42s would easily fit in the medium (standard) size as well:
http://alaskaguidecreations.com/blog/store/

CoHiCntry

WKR
I just purchased a size regular Alaska Guide Creations harness. Looks like it's built well. It's rather large if you aren't used to something hanging on your chest (which I'm not). I was hoping to put my range finder in the front pouch too. It fits, but just barely. I'm concerned about ease of access to it since it's in a zippered pocket. The other issue I see is the lid. Having to unbuckle and pull them out every time you wanna look through your binos seems like a pain. I folded the top lid in and might try running it like that. It just doesn't seem to be very practical if your on a stalk and needing to constantly be picking up your binos to scan whats ahead. I haven't used it yet so I'm not speaking from experience just first impressions. After getting it, looking it over and thinking about how it will work in the field, I went ahead and ordered a KUIU harness to try as well. I'm planning to use both next week on a hunt and decide which I like better.

danarnold

WKR
Alaska Guide Creations....I have 12X50 Razor HDs and I keep my rangefinder in the front pouch..my wind meter on the sleeve on the top flap, my havalon on one of the side pouches, extra rounds and chapstick in the other side pocket, and license and tags in the pocket on the back.

They sell them at the RokSlide store. Been using them since 2009 and still haven't found anything better.

Its nice to be able to drop your pack if needed and still have your license, tags, GPS, and knife with and even a snack bar if your stalk gets away from you. I try to never leave my pack behind regardless, but sometimes it still happens

Ryan Avery has tasks me with doing a review on this since I have 6+ years with one now, hope to have that up before Thanksgiving.

Anyways, here is the link to buying them in the RokSlide store:

http://www.rokslide.com/store/category/23-alaska-guide-creations-bino-harness

I have the size large that isn't carried by RokSlide but a lot more options at the actual website as well your 10X42s would easily fit in the medium (standard) size as well:
http://alaskaguidecreations.com/blog/store/

X2...

I'm in the market to replace my S4 Harness and I'm taking a serious look at the FHF. Anyone have experience with the FHF?

I used a simple strap harness for years and for certain applications still like it. With an attached rangefinder clip I have yet to come across a system that is as accessible as that.

I tried the Kuiu harness for the full containment aspect but my binoculars were a bit tight and it didn't really have a good option for my rangefinder.

This year I bought a FHF Gear harness and absolutely love it. It's great because they make dedicated rangefinder pouches, a pouch for my GPS, and a little pocket that I use for my wind detector. It also has a zippered pouch that's perfect for keeping licenses and tags. You can also buy tethers for the GPS and rangefinder that ensure they stay secured to the harness. Despite the bulk, it wears great. Can't say a bad thing about it.

http://fhfgear.com/hunting/

I have tried...

crooked horn, badlands, sitka, fhf, kuiu, eberlestock, s4 and am hoping to try the oregon pack works one really soon. I have used them all except the nosgunner for at least a season. Havent tried ak guide one above because it is bigger and bulkier than I personally prefer, but i hear great things.

I personally dont feel like any of the ones I have tried are perfect... but the FHF is as close as i have come.

If you put "bino harness" in the search function you will find thousands of posts on the subject, it has been hashed out very hard A LOT.

JOe

CoHiCntry

WKR
I have tried...

crooked horn, badlands, sitka, fhf, kuiu, eberlestock, s4 and am hoping to try the oregon pack works one really soon. I have used them all except the nosgunner for at least a season. Havent tried ak guide one above because it is bigger and bulkier than I personally prefer, but i hear great things.

I personally dont feel like any of the ones I have tried are perfect... but the FHF is as close as i have come.

If you put "bino harness" in the search function you will find thousands of posts on the subject, it has been hashed out very hard A LOT.

JOe

Joe... I know this has been hashed out A LOT, but let's do it again! Can you tell me why you liked the FHF over the KUIU? (I'm assuming the AGC is very similar to the FHF, maybe just a little bigger). What do you do with the top lid all the time? It seems like it would alway's be in the way when your on a stalk and needing to constantly be scanning in front of you. This is the main reason I'm also looking at the KUIU. I like the way the top (lid) moves forward which looks like easier/ quicker access. Like I said above, if the KUIU doesn't suite me then I'll probably just tuck in the lid on the AGC for easier access. Thanks...

Joe... I know this has been hashed out A LOT, but let's do it again! Can you tell me why you liked the FHF over the KUIU? (I'm assuming the AGC is very similar to the FHF, maybe just a little bigger). What do you do with the top lid all the time? It seems like it would alway's be in the way when your on a stalk and needing to constantly be scanning in front of you. This is the main reason I'm also looking at the KUIU. I like the way the top (lid) moves forward which looks like easier/ quicker access. Like I said above, if the KUIU doesn't suite me then I'll probably just tuck in the lid on the AGC for easier access. Thanks...

Having both, I like the access to the binoculars via the FHF better. The flip forward lid on the Kuiu gets in the way more for me than the FHF lid. I normally keep the lid over the binoculars on the FHFs, but you can also tuck it in and have it out of the way. I like the way the FHF handles other accessories better than the Kuiu (which really doesn't handle them at all). The FHF is more of a full harness and I like how it fits better than the Kuiu, which is more of a chest band. In other words, the pouch itself is anchored to your body by the straps that go over your shoulder and around your chest on the FHF, whereas the pouch on the Kuiu is held in place only by the chest straps. For me it made the pouch a bit more stable to deal with and to take the binoculars in and out. Some of that could be compounded by the fact that I ordered the FHF a size up for what was recommended and the Kuiu the exact size that was recommended -- I've found it harder to get the binoculars in and out of the pouch on the Kuiu and it may exacerbate some of these issues.

2ski

WKR
Who was it that came out with a new design of their pouch? Oregon pack works? Someone had received one to do a review on it, but I don't know if I ever saw the review after the hunt. Whatever it was, I really liked how it looked. I have an FHF. I don't really have anytime on it, as a back issue has put a big time damper on my hunting season this year so far.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Havent tried ak guide one above because it is bigger and bulkier than I personally prefer, but i hear great things.

I know 3 people personally that have said that very thing and they were rocking FHF and then saw my AGC bono pack in person and were sold. They always said "I was worried they'd be too big". Not they all 3 use Alaska Guide Creations. Worth trying and using one for a week long hunt. I personal don't like the pocket for this pocket for that pocket for that system of the FHF at all…..too gimmicky for my liking.

I've been using an AGC for carrying 8x42 Leicas and love it! Tried Ryan's FHF last year and didn't, but don't remember why. Glad I gave the AGC a shot.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To me all a harness system has to do well is to be comfortable, secure the binos even when running/jumping, etc, and protect the binos - especially from debris and water getting in the eyecups. It has to be light and not bulky.

The best system I've found is a Rick Young ultralight harness paired with a bino cover I made. The RY harness is super light and very comfortable, and the cover allows fast access to binos, yet protects them and passes the "bounce test". I can do jumping jacks and the binos don't slap me in the face. Total weight is around 3 oz IIRC.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?9104-KUIU-vs-FHF-Bino-Harness&highlight=bino+harness
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?20342-Kuiu-harness&highlight=bino+harness

I personally like the FHF more than the KUIU for a few reasons... as you will see in the threads above, some dissagree. I will say that KUIU is really close to perfect and my wife still loves hers.

The fhf is more 1 handed for me, the kuiu slid down and i had to use 2 hands every time to put it away. If I hung my rangefinder from the side like I always do, the KUIU turned in to a fanny pack and drove me crazy. I think if they made the harness conect to the top of the pouch for truly 1 handed operation than it would be my favorite.

FHF is louder, the lid is a bit different, but you get used to it in a hurry, it is more durable and offers more protection from impact than the kuiu. I also have never had rain or snow issues with the backed cordura... the kuiu requires a rain cover which is just a hassle.

the threads above will keep you entertained.

The 2 i need to try are the oregon pack works (looks like the kuiu only better) and on Lukes recommendation I am going to try the AK one too. I tried the nosegunner which had everything right in theory but sure missed the mark in execution.

Joe

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
To me all a harness system has to do well is to be comfortable, secure the binos even when running/jumping, etc, and protect the binos - especially from debris and water getting in the eyecups. It has to be light and not bulky.

The best system I've found is a Rick Young ultralight harness paired with a bino cover I made. The RY harness is super light and very comfortable, and the cover allows fast access to binos, yet protects them and passes the "bounce test". I can do jumping jacks and the binos don't slap me in the face. Total weight is around 3 oz IIRC.

Do you have pics of the bino cover? I have been using the Rick Young harness for the last 3 yrs and need a solution to cover the binos without buying another brand/system.

I bought one of the old model FHF gear bino cases in kryptek and really like it. I sold a badlands case because I thought it was too bulky. The FHF is spot on for me.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the same binos in a HPG Kit Bag. Sometimes I just carry them in the pistol pocket, and if I have a pistol in it then I use the lifter straps meant for attaching to the pack harness. I rigged them so the binos hand off the front of the bag and can be cinched up to keep from flopping around. Not always ideal but it works.