CA late season hunt

CaseyU

WKR
Well i figured I would get this thread started! First a little recap for those that are not familiar. I have a late archery tag that opens up on Saturday. I have the first 8 days of the season off and then will return to working 3 on 4 off until season is over. The temps have dropped about 10 degrees in the last week. There is frost on the ground and muleys already rutting. For those of you that are done with tags for the season, stuck at work, or just eat, breathe, and sleep hunting this is for you guys to follow and enjoy. Please feel free to ask question, comment, or add anything your thinking!My little brother is tagging along with me the whole hunt. Should see plenty of deer! I woke up this morning fired up to hit the road and jump into scouting and found out i am stuck at work until roughly 2 ish. with an hour drive i will make it in plenty of time to do some evening scouting. My goal for this hunt is 170. hope you guys enjoy, I sure will!

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Everybody likes a gear list! I will probably look like a jigsaw puzzle most days. I have a variety of clothing from kuiu, sitka, core 4, mountain hardwear, I am sure bout 3 or 4 others that are not popping out in my head. I am shooting a hoyt element south paw. Easton fmj 340 with blazers and slick tricks. Running a cbe tek hybrid and qad. The timberline 1 will be with me and a variety of optics in about every size. Depending which area I am in for the day will determine which optics I am packing
f43d15beff98e652a8d53c76160e64ae.jpg

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
d0355e2723908e300a1182a259dc0500.jpg

Desert muley country at its finest!! Spotted 12 bucks and so many does lost count... Big buck hour is approaching!

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Well that wraps up the evening. 13 bucks. No big ones but a bunch of does. Only a matter of time before he is there. Here is a couple I found on private

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Mid day updae****. Six bucks this morning. One good one(24" 4x4) no great ones. Two great ones last night while heading home. Both probably go 180. Raining. Deer are alive!!!
023ec52e9d78b524901cc58ad3c65950.jpg

Some new country looking good!!! I think the big ones are very close just waiting for the rut to really kick off before they come out!

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
You ever find that shed in the spotter and think holy smokes that's a long ways??? Spotted a nice dead head but the deer were moving so wanted to cover ground vs the 3/4 of a mile and 1500' elevation. I got it marked. Will be back for that guy!!
b1f9aa14881b1837498fb2c5457bec70.jpg

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
End of the day wrap up. Covered some new country I was less familiar with. Saw a total of a dozen bucks or so. I stumbled across a giant in a place that not huntable. Found a couple more 4x4s and hiked into some honey holes( in my opinion) haha we will see if the bucks think the same shortly! Going to do about an 8 mile loop tomorrow. Nighty night!

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Afternoon update. The loop was a little shorter than I thought. We came in just under 7 miles. Not a lot of deer but focus a honey hole of feed and sign( will be back here for sure!) Well today I don't feel quite so guilty about that dead head because I stumbled across another one!!!
fb1449fe118d06371f7de674c9112d36.jpg

Now I am all about the homework and dedication to finding big bucks but when you start finding these... Well let's just say we spent a little time with other activities
80e780fa915394da409b8d05df561e5f.jpg

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Back to the hunt though. We four a couple great bowls hidden away holding plenty of deer. No big ones today but I know it's only a matter of time before they are here!!! Suppose to storm tomorrow night and a severe temp drop on Sunday!!! Shaping up to be fun boys!!!

Craig4791

WKR
Nice find! Surprised the hide is still on that dead head with how bleached the horns are!