Kuiu web site

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just cloths Bruce.... Expensive and mostly overhyped at that. If you have that much sitka only thing your missing out on is the attack pants. I would advise you to at least try them at some point. They are very good, everything else I could take it or leave it.

I actually purchased several pieces of Kuiu off the classifieds here last week (cheap) including the Attack pants and puffy jacket and zip tee, neck gaiter, merino base layers, etc and attempted to purchase the rest of the items (DCS jacket, gaiters, some hats, gloves, etc) but was unable to. I tried the Kuiu stuff last weekend while hog hunting and it was okay but nothing so special I have to have it. I combined it with some Sitka Gear and was quite comfortable. My comments have nothing to do with the Kuiu clothes line and everything to do with the piss poor business administration, oddball sales rules, inability to stabilize production, and am astounded they would even have a sale when they cannot fulfill retail orders and lack inventory. From a strictly business perspective they are doing almost everything wrong. Example: you have a successful line of camos that you cannot keep in stock so they spend their money and resources expanding the line with new products (sleeping bags, backpacks, Tents, etc) instead of ramping up production of the existing line and actually meeting demand. I don't care...they can manage and mismanage their business anyway they like but there's no way to ignore the fact that they are completely F'ing up. I mean c'mon, their 15% sale year crashed their site...same thing happened this year with a 25% sale. Are they so stupid that they couldn't see this coming and take preventative steps? Most online retailers (many do far more purchases daily than Kuiu does in a year) manage to process orders without crashing their site. It's not difficult to build a site and utilizing a server capable of handling significant traffic. As a company I am unimpressed with Kuiu. They appear to be making obvious mistakes and then repeating them. This probably makes Kuiu's butt hurt...or at least be ashamed. JMO

I think it's hilarious that a company can make so many obvious mistakes and still have a segment of the market so enamored with them that they cannot even see the goofiness. Thus is the fanboy blindness. They are everywhere. Some are fanboys of Sitka Gear, or Hoyt, or Rage or Kifaru or any other company. It cracks me up when people completely lose their objectivity and cannot see what is obvious to everyone else. I especially get a kick out of those who cannot form an intelligent argument and simply resort to name calling. Bwahahahahahahahaha....

Last edited:

Browtine

WKR
I think it's hilarious that a company can make so many obvious mistakes and still have a segment of the market so enamored with them that they cannot even see the goofiness. Thus is the fanboy blindness.

I think it's hilarious that all the anti-fanboys spend more energy bashing Kuiu than the fanboys do supporting them. Give it a rest and just don't buy their shit!

From a strictly business perspective they are doing almost everything wrong.

Except for the most important thing.

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its also amazing that so many people use their clothing year after year if it is so terrible. It obviously works and works well. Have the bashers are bashing after they tried to order something, which is ironic.

Go buy what ever you want, Kuiu is going anywhere in the near future except to the bank.

^^^Two perfect examples^^^

Both posters fail to recognize i did not bash the clothing line. I merely questioned the company's general administrative skills. Big difference there fanboys. And BTW...there is no such thing as an anti-fanboy...you are either a fan or you aren't. Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary and other sources define it as a shortened version of the word fanatic. I am merely an objective consumer. I do not embrace the "fan" label for companies, entertainers or anyone other than our Servicemen & women in uniform. They place service above themselves and I admire them immensely.

Browtine

WKR
^^^Two perfect examples^^^

Big difference there fanboys. And BTW...there is no such thing as an anti-fanboy...you are either a fan or you aren't. Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary and other sources define it as a shortened version of the word fanatic. I am merely an objective consumer. I do not embrace the "fan" label for companies, entertainers or anyone other than our Servicemen & women in uniform. They place service above themselves and I admire them immensely.

I only own a Chugach and two pieces of their merino. Oh, and I don't think it's any better or worse than my Sitka or FL stuff. I guess I'm a pretty poor excuse for a Kuiu fanatic.

One quick question before I back out of this thread. Why were you trying to purchase an entire wardrobe from a company that makes so many obvious business mistakes anyway? Don't you own every piece of Sitka gear already?

I'm just a dude that gets tired of the bashing. No more, no less.

I only own a Chugach and two pieces of their merino. Oh, and I don't think it's any better or worse than my Sitka or FL stuff. I guess I'm a pretty poor excuse for a Kuiu fanatic.

One quick question before I back out of this thread. Why were you trying to purchase an entire wardrobe from a company that makes so many obvious business mistakes anyway? Don't you own every piece of Sitka gear already?

I'm just a dude that gets tired of the bashing. No more, no less.

I was curious about it and because I had acquired some used on this board just recently, figured I would fill a few holes and take advantage of the "sale"...and that's when I formed my opinion about Kuiu. I had no idea how poorly it was run beforehand, the postings of others on numerous sites brought me up to speed.

ckleeves

WKR
Actually you are dead wrong. I gave up when the bulk of my "attempted order" was backordered at full retail. A sale that excludes backordered items might make sense for a retailer looking to liquidate stock to reduce their inventory tax at the end of the year but coming from a manufacturer selling direct it's just pointless and there is no actual "sale" when you're paying the full retail price plus must wait for your order. Only a fanboy would embrace such a stupid promotion. I have never seen a more incompetently managed "sales event" in my life. I have owned and run four product-based businesses and what Kuiu is doing is unheard of. Hurry up and buy now so we can use your money and send you stuff later when we can. What's worse is the same crash occurred last year when they had a 15% sale...they didn't learn from their mistakes! It's clear to see the reason for the Sitka partnership split and where the business acumen was and wasn't. Kuiu turned me off for good. JMO

Thankfully I own like 60 pcs of Sitka. :)

I would think they would have a hard time using your money when they don't charge you until the item ships ?

Weekender

WKR
With all this hate at kuiu it's pretty gutsy of SandS Archery to be running the same sale. This is gonna be crazy on the negative pub this will bring.

OP
C

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, I just started this thread to see if people were having the same issue as I was having with there web site and phone lines the day of the sale. I didn't mean for this to become such a heated discussion. After several attempts at getting my order in , and almost giving up, even saying I was going to take my money elsewhere, I did get thru and got the 2 items I was looking. They are shipped and on there way.

kodiakfly

WKR
I gotta stand up with Bruce on this, and I think he makes some valid points. (Like, why venture into additional lines of gear when you're still working your clothing supply.) Whenever a Kuiu thread comes up and everyone jumps on the Bash-a-thon bandwagon, people (rightly) say "only speak if you speak from first hand experience." Bruce is speaking from his experience of trying to buy their gear and not being able to, and I'm in the same boat. Bruce is passionate and vocal about it, but its not bashing just because we've got a complaint...heck, we were trying to buy their gear! Bruce nor I ever said anything about quality or Kuiu gear sucking. I've seen their clothes and I like them and would like to be able to try some in the field.

It's just frustrating when you'd like to give a company a shot and you try repeatedly over a course of two years and you're not able to.

It's also frustrating to be open-minded, then have another less-than-perfect experience with a company, mention it and get accused of bashing. Of course Kuiu doesn't need our business and millions and millions and millions of athletic and ripped hunters continue to wear their gear and love it. Good for Kuiu. I wish them and their customers all the best. I just wish they had more inventory on hand on a consistent basis. That's my Kuiu "bash."

kodiakfly

WKR
Wow, I just started this thread to see if people were having the same issue as I was having with there web site and phone lines the day of the sale. I didn't mean for this to become such a heated discussion.

It's a Kuiu thread. It's normal! HA! I think the pendulum has swung to the other side now. There'd been so many Kuiu bash-fests in threads past and people got tired of it, that now if anyone isn't complimentary of Kuiu, they're considered bashing or hating like had been done in the past.

Shrek

WKR
It's always been that the Kuiuteers have epileptic attacks when people criticize Kuiu. They really can't see that the company is rotten at the core.

It's always been that the Kuiuteers have epileptic attacks when people criticize Kuiu. They really can't see that the company is rotten at the core.

It's always been that KUIU haters have epileptic attacks when people try to talk about KUIU. They really can't stay out of a topic they say they have no real interest in.

I gotta stand up with Bruce on this, and I think he makes some valid points. (Like, why venture into additional lines of gear when you're still working your clothing supply.) Whenever a Kuiu thread comes up and everyone jumps on the Bash-a-thon bandwagon, people (rightly) say "only speak if you speak from first hand experience." Bruce is speaking from his experience of trying to buy their gear and not being able to, and I'm in the same boat. Bruce is passionate and vocal about it, but its not bashing just because we've got a complaint...heck, we were trying to buy their gear! Bruce nor I ever said anything about quality or Kuiu gear sucking. I've seen their clothes and I like them and would like to be able to try some in the field.

It's just frustrating when you'd like to give a company a shot and you try repeatedly over a course of two years and you're not able to.

It's also frustrating to be open-minded, then have another less-than-perfect experience with a company, mention it and get accused of bashing. Of course Kuiu doesn't need our business and millions and millions and millions of athletic and ripped hunters continue to wear their gear and love it. Good for Kuiu. I wish them and their customers all the best. I just wish they had more inventory on hand on a consistent basis. That's my Kuiu "bash."

most are the same but never get bashed. check out kryptek, i wear there gear and i cant buy anything..... its not in stock..... nor has much all year. they are just as bad. first lite.... same. they have nil to none of anything now. its par for the course. people in todays world expect anything at any given moment. patience............

Mike7

WKR
I can't believe that I've been sucked into this thread, but what the heck.

For me personally, if you make a good affordable product, and you don't support the Taliban, the Mexican government, or Nancy Pelosi, then I will probably buy it. I do get a little upset when brick and mortar retailers advertise a great deal to get me into the store, and despite being one of the first people to the store, there is still no stock left to buy.

But for internet sales where a person can check if something is in stock with a single click of effort... if that upset me, I don't think that I would be able to function in daily life.

Nice to know one person understands me. Thank you. As an aside...I own a consulting and manufacturing business that helps others start and build their manufacturing businesses and my perspective is unique compared to most. I am also the most conservative person on the planet and make Mitt Romney look like Nancy Pelosi. I have failed and succeeded in business and view Kuiu through that lens of experience.

MattB

WKR
Bruce, did you ever think that perhaps Kuiu finances its inventory and would like to sell down their inventory prior to the end of hunting season so they did not carry the inventory and related debt through the off-season? Hence why they did not offer sale pricing on the inventory not in stock/not financed? I'd think that angle would be pretty obvious to someone who has such a strong manufacturing/business background.

I for one cannot wait until backyard camping/photo shoot weather returns to SoCal...

Status
Not open for further replies.