Hunt Gear--What worked

Dhois

FNG
Hunting in Colorado’s 4th rifle season this year, I learned a lot about planning, gear selection, and coping with weather. We had about 8 hunters in Colorado Unit 12 near Vaughan Lake and setup a basecamp there. I also was prepared to stay overnight in a tarp tent with stove, but ended up not doing so. Temperatures were usually low to mid 20s (degree F) dropping to 0-4 degrees for most of opening day. We had to bug out early due to the arctic blast dropping about 20 inches of snow on top of the 8 already there.
Here are some things that worked well, or not so well for us:

Kifaru Timberline II back pack was great for packing in, several day’s worth of gear, and also as a day pack. I really like this pack.

Trekking poles: I use Titanium Goat carbon fiber poles (no longer available). I love them, but if you hunt while on the move, you have to think about the process of ditching them to get your hands free for grabbing a rifle. I used them because we scouted before the opening day on snow shoes…

MSR Evo Ascent snowshoes: not that these were absolutely necessary, but compared to the average Costco snowshoes a friend had, these held well on side-slopes whereas his boots slipped off his snowshoe regularly and he had little traction on slopes.

Marmot 15-degree bag: worked well as a 20-degree bag, and down to 10-degrees or so by wearing base layers, and adding a jacket inside if needed. I felt this was a good rating to have on this trip, as I was able to compress it to fit in a pack if needed, and it is not too hard to make a much warmer bag with items at-hand if needed. In other words, a warmer rated bag with a little more bulk would not necessarily have been “better” for me on this trip.

Water bottles were kept inside the pack which prevented freezing in the 0-4 degree (F) weather. I did not search for ways to keep the hose to a hydration bladder from freezing (blow back or open the valve with the hose over your head after use to drain fluid back into the bladder).

Light-weight Kill Kit, home made kit with a few silnylon game bags from TAG and Kifaru. Small space and light weight! Everything in one bag keeps it handy when needed.

Bic lighter and storm matches both work at 9000-10,000 feet. Only natural thing I could get to burn as a fire starter was dead pine needles. Small branches from dead aspens were very difficult to light, probably due to the recent snow melts and rain.

Planning with Colorado’s Hunt Atlas, provides great information with game movement overlays, public land/SWAs, etc clearly shown.

Kifaru Gun Bearer holds the rifle in ready position without having to hold in your hands.

Cotton balls with Vaseline rubbed in for fire-starter. Worked great to get a small fire going in the snow (and after previous week’s rain) to thaw out the water hose of my hydration system.

Merino wool base layers: Lived in Icebreakers bottoms and top all week.

Jet Boil: boils water way faster than a coleman stove at 9400 feet.

Pre-made lunches: Peanut butter, bacon and honey on bagels (taste great, good calorie to ounce ratio, and package well for a pack.

Rail Rider VersaTac pants: water resistant and shed snow (at least the dry Colorado powder). Used the light weight pant with a baselayer most of the time. The Mid-weight pant with a base layer was too hot when moving around in 20-degree weather, but was perfect when on the move in 4-10 degrees.

Some things I would change:
Cabelas Dry Plus parka: generally too hot when on the move (20 degree temps). I used a thin merino wool base layer with this parka and was too hot when on the move except when the temperature was 5-10 defrees. I would have been better off with the base layer, a thin insulating layer, and a light weight shell. As it was, I had no way to de-layer when too hot. Note: this is the original parka from ~10 years ago.

What worked (or didn't) for you?

Stone Glacier Sky 7400 worked flawlessly

Really loved my chugach rain gear

Kuiu ultra merino wool glove liners were very impressive

Best new piece of clothing was my $25.00 costco soft shell

Merino wool neck buff is a life saver

Flavored foil pack tuna and ritz crackers was favorite lunch

Platypus hydration tube froze - need insulation for it.

Cheap insulation bottoms worked great, but zippered ones would be much better.

alukban

FNG
Wrapping a Kifaru Doobie Xpress around my entire bottom half like a giant elephant foot bag when sitting on the ground is friggin' awesome :)

bcimport

WKR
MR6500-great as usual
Neo Air Short - didn't like it, arms fell off the edge and kept me awake
20 degree slick bag - awesome workmanship, liked the center zip, wasn't warm enough for me
Denali Llama Pack raft - perfect on the flat water
Vortex Razor HD 85mm Spotter - very very good

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
KU highcamp performed excellent under various conditions.
Chugach rain jacket as outer perfect with layers of merino underneath.
Sitka 90% pants awesome, even when I sat in cactus :(
Rental Swaro scope and tripod(optics4rent) very nice!
Savage LRH is too heavy for lugging in Elk country, Damn I'll have to buy a new gun!!

To keep your tubes from freezing, go to the camelback website and look for their hose insulation piece, otherwise cut tubular nylon from REI in the length you need.

What worked:
Slept well on NeoAir Xtherm
Meindl boots
Vortex binos in FHF holder

What didn't work:
MR crew cab-worst pack I've ever carried

rodney482

WKR
Kifaru "new style" slick bag 0 degree plenty warm. Should have got regular size vs long/wide.

My 800 fill down UA coat worked great under my Kuiu guide jacket.

Kuiu binoc system worked great and so did their gaiters.

Kifaru gun bearer was the shazizzzle.

Firstlite base layers .. Love love love them

BA q core long/wide was awesome.

Salamon quest boots and darn tough merinos worked great.. Temps in 20's

WyoElk

WKR
I like this thread, here is mine.

Enlightned Equipment 20 degree quilt with a Xtherm was incredible. I slept better than ever before and stayed plenty warm.

Slik 634 tripod, outdoorsman bino adapter, and zeiss 10X42's allowed to to see way more animals than ever before. I love that setup.

I tried trekking poles and hated them. Maybe with a better pack setup but I found them to be in my way most of the time. I think if I had my bow/gun fixed to my pack the might be okay.

Gaiters were too hot during archery season but nice when there was snow.

All of my Sitka gear continues to be great. Real happy with the whole system.

Some of my favorites that just keep performing. Hilleberg Nallo 3. WM 20* bag. Zamberlin Vios GT's. Kifaru T1 pack. Steiner binos.

Some new gear that was worth every penny.....

This starts with the GB Hunters axe. I knew this would be a good tool around camp but was really surprised how handy it is on the trail. No more bush whacks around deadfall. I just chop off a few branches and step thru. I've carried it inside the pack exactly once as now it spends all it's time on the pack belt.

Three Bushnell game cams. Game cams are cool and are an excellent excuse to go wander thru the woods.

Kuiu gaiters. I really liked these in the summer when I was wearing shorts. Saved my ankles from all the berry bushes. They'll get the snow test this weekend during late elk.

Slik Pro II tripod and Nikon ED 50 scope. Just a sweet little set up for Wa mountains. I didn't get to use it a lot during deer season but did spend a lot of time watching pikas and marmots on my summer hikes.

Black Seahawks Super Bowl Champs beanie. Best beanie ever!

A few things that just didn't work for me....

Any inflatable sleeping pad. I tried two this year and they hurt my back. I spend all night adding air or letting it out. Back to a self inflating Thermarest that sucks.

The Paratarp. I guess I've used my Cascade Designs tarp for so long that I find it easier and more versatile than the Paratarp.

Trr15

WKR
Really pleased with my EE revelation 20.
Kifaru T1 was awesome, just realized its a little bigger than what I need
Switched almost all of my optics over to Vortex and couldn't be happier.
Continue to love my havalon knife. Just picked up the baracuta saw to try out next season.
My kuiu and first lite gear was great, and I'm still impressed with my Lowa Tibets (leather lined boots breathe so much better than gtx)
My garmin Oregon and huntgps maps chip was invaluable for locating property lines during antelope hunts, awesome piece of technology.

new gear this season that i loved,
EE 20 deg Rev. always slept with my bag totally unzipped before i ever heard of quilts.this piece of gear was MADE for me.
Kifaru DT2. kicking myself for waiting a couple seasons to get one.
First Lite puffy.
what is changing next season
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2,this tent is actualy awesome,and has worked great for seasons.just tired of riding out big storms,getting dressed/undressed,trying to dry gear,eating(in storms) flat on my back. saving up for a Sawtooth.
any and all bino harnes using elastic.going with the FHF system

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loves these threads, they are very useful.

Mountainsmith Lt was great.

Irish setter elk hunters worked well and were comfortable but needed sealed and are fairly heavy. I'll probably get something lighter next year.

Kryptek dalibor set worked awesome definitely keeping.

Kryptek Cerdic 2 keeping though not sure I'll pack it in the back country as the warmth to weight wasn't really worth it.

Sawyer squeeze keeping.

Minus 33 merino bottoms were awesome definitely keeping. By far the most comfortable against the skin I have ever used.

First lite llano meh it was OK but a little itchy. I'll probably go with an minus 33 merino top next year.

What I was least happy with and will be change of everything was my thick no name wool socks and no name thinsulate gloves. They took forever to dry. Don't know what I'm replacing them with yet but I know they're changing.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Really happy with all my sitka stuff. Timberline, mtn pants, ascent pants, traverse top, jetstream, dewpoints.

I liked my first lite base layers (llano, chama, allegheny) over my kuiu ultra merino, more comfortable in my opinion.

Really impressed with the kuiu northstar gloves. Used them this year in October and this month in the colder weather and they were awesome.

My lowa bighorn hunter boots continue to impress. Very comfortable and have never had a blister with my darn tough socks on. Had to leukotape for a few days after a 20 mile hiking day but that's it.

Used the new kuiu 15 degree bag and it was really warm in 20 degree weather. Super light as well. Used the neo air xlite and it was just ok. Couldn't seem to get comfortable.

Sirui tripod had a piece break off this year and its a new item so that wasn't great but it still works fine. Very light piece of gear.

Used the Nikon fieldscope ED50 this year and felt myself wanting some more magnification on many occasions. Clear sight picture for the weight though.

charvey9

WKR
Everything I purchased from KUIU this year worked very well. Favorite piece of gear is the Superdown jacket. Its like having an oven that weighs 10 oz. Getting more use out of the Guide jacket for later season stuff, and really liking that too.

Impressed with both pair of boots I bought this year. Kenetrek Mountain extremes were awesome in the spring, and have to be the most waterproof boots I've ever owned. They got a little hot in the summer, so I also tried out a pair of Lowa Uplander for early season and they are very comfortable.

Zpacks sleeping bag. Excellent warmth to weight ratio, but if I had to do it again would get the wide version for a few extra ounces. Its pretty snug.

Thermarest NeoLite pad. Its 4oz lighter than the closest competitor, but noisy, takes a long time to blow up, and not quite as comfortable as my prolite. Still, its 4oz lighter so I take the good with the so-so.

MLD DuoMid Tipi. Worked well, spent several nights in it ranging from snow, rain, and wind. In the end though, determined that the pole in the middle of a small shelter makes it a little hard to maneuver around . I prefer free standing shelters.

Stone Glacier Sky. Perfect. No issues.

Kifaru Pullouts. A neccessity with the stone glacier/minimalist no pocket design. Have 2 sets now.

Playtapus softbottles. Love these. Started carrying two of these at just 1oz each. Added a few tea bags to one and would leave it in the sun at camp during the day, come home to a nice bottle of sun tea. Used the other one to mix my Mio energy for a caffiene fix. Pack down to nothing when not in use.

Wish I had more negatives to report, but with a few seasons of trial and error along with some good advice on this forum I'm really getting a good kit put together.

Last edited:
What worked for late season elk with snow and temps from 10 to 30 degrees:
Kuiu Guide Jacket shed more snow and rain than I expected, but much quieter than a hardshell
Sitka 90% pant was very comfortable and did not get damp/cold in snowy weather.
Icebreaker Merino base layers.
Kenetrek Mt Extreme/ Gaitors really worked well. No leaks or frosty toes.
Kifaru Bikini Highcamp 4800 shrunk for day pack but held an elk quarter fine.
Wester Mountaineering Apache.
Vortex Viper 10x42
Rab Neutrino Endurance Jacket was great for long glassing sessions.

Last edited:

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
My SG Sky 7400 worked great. Love the weapon sling.

Used the Razor 65 spotting scope and was really happy with it. In a few situations a little more zoom would have been nice, but not a deal breaker.

Zpacks quilt - very light and warm. First year without a mummy bag and I did miss the hood a little bit when temps dropped. Going to pick up a warmer toque.

Platypus 1L soft bottles are sweet. So light and take up no space. Goodbye nalgene.

fire652

WKR
Stone glacier 7400 was great.
I really liked the point six merino socks.
Did not get to use but got to see the kuiu bino harness and will be getting one

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
New gear that worked well:
Loved the combo of First Lite merino short sleeve and First Lite Chama Hoody for September archery. Basically covered me from the cooler weather early and late in the day to heat of the day.
First Lite Mountain Athlete Socks with REI Merino Liners was a great combo for late October.
On an impulse buy, my UA Ridge Reaper Gloves were great for weather that wasn't very wet or very cold. I love the dexterity, tacky grip on the palm and fingers and the aesthetics of the glove. In downpours, they will not protect your hands from the weather and they do not hold a lot of insulation for sitting and glassing for a long time. Not a knock on them, just knowing what they are intended for is key. But for mild weather, they are my favorite.
Sitka Flash 20 worked well for what it is. Lots of organization, quiet material and comfortable. When I sold my Badlands 2200 to pay for my Exo 3500 and then didn't get my 3500 ordered in time, this was my default. For lack of a better descriptor, I felt "vulnerable and unprepared" to be bowhunting without a pack that I could get a first load of meat out with. But for a "day pack" it was very nice if I didn't care about meat hauling. BTW, just got my 3500- love it so far!
Bugling Bull Grunt tube and All Star reed sounded great and were effective. The Steve Chappelle youtube videos helped me learn how to use the reed/grunt tube combo. The All Star was pretty easy to use. I might upgrade to the Extreme Grunt Tube with the slightly bigger mouth opening.
Crooked Horn RF Sidekick worked fairly well. I love the thought. It was a bit tight for my Nikon Riflehunter 550 and took some effort to pull it out each time. Maybe with some more use it will loosen up a bit. I had to put some adhesive camo felt on the plastic ring that slides up and down the nylon strap because it was too loud. I'll write a more in depth review later in the Optics forum.
Cabelas Hybrid Bino Harness- really good upgrade over my old Crooked Horn Bino Harness. The static, non stretch webbing for the shoulders kept the binos from sagging down after being adjusted but the dynamic, stretchy webbing that goes along your ribs was great for not restricting the ability to glass. For $20, I was very happy. Still might look to upgrade to FHF, Kuiu or OPW bino harness for organizing gear like my wind checker and calls.
Cabelas 1 HP Commercial Grinder was amazing. Took huge chunks of meat with ease. Also, very easy to clean.

The only thing that I was not very happy with, of all things, were my Darn Tough Light Hiker Merino Socks. Wore them for about 6-7 days bowhunting in September. They didn't breath or wick very well in my opinion. I preferred my Smartwool quarter socks instead. I did like the heel padding on the Darn Tough but they just logged moisture and did not keep my feet feeling dry.

gmajor

WKR
Really impressed with the kuiu northstar gloves. Used them this year in October and this month in the colder weather and they were awesome.

Ordered some during the sale. Did they run true to size? I'm a bit frustrated they don't offer a size small. My hands are as wide as a medium or even large, but my fingers are a bit short I guess. I'm hoping they'll still work (ordered a medium).

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered some during the sale. Did they run true to size? I'm a bit frustrated they don't offer a size small. My hands are as wide as a medium or even large, but my fingers are a bit short I guess. I'm hoping they'll still work (ordered a medium).

I'd say they run pretty close to true to the sizing chart they give. My fingers measure shorter than the mediums but they work just fine for me. I typically order medium gloves across the board, so I'd say these are right inline with others for sizing.