Knife Suggestion

I would like to get my nephew a hunting knife. He is 11 and is obsessed with hunting but does not have a decent knife. I don't want to spend over $50 because he is young and there is a 90% chance he will lose it. On the other side should he not lose it I would like something not made in China that has a chance of lasting him a long time. Any ideas? Nothing tactical.

Last edited:

Trr15

WKR
Case knives made in Bradford, PA. Timeless, classic knives. I still have the one my great-grandfather gave me when I was 8 yrs old. I immediately cut myself while pissing around with it on a small game hunt. Oh the memories...

OP
MuleyFever
Case knives made in Bradford, PA. Timeless, classic knives. I still have the one my great-grandfather gave me when I was 8 yrs old. I immediately cut myself while pissing around with it on a small game hunt. Oh the memories...

Your story makes me want to buy a Case knife in hopes my nephew can tell your story of the knife his uncle got him. I cut myself on my first kill with the knife my dad gave me. I well never forget that.

charvey9

WKR
I think the buck 102 is your classic first hunting knife. I had one at some point...but lost it. Kind of proves your theory...lol. Something like the Buck 622 would be a little more modern. Both under $50 and good for a first knife.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a huge fan of Kershaw. Carry three of their knives (not all at once... usually). You should check out their 10800R Skinning Knife. It's made in America with Sandvik 14C28N and is only $64.95. Just a touch about your range, but for what you're getting it's worth it. I have the Field Knife with the same steel. It takes a razor edge and holds it. It's a very light weight knife and I love the orange handle; grippy and you can see it anywhere.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
I was looking at that Kershaw. It is $45 on amazon. The orange grip is what caught my attention. I have a Havalon with an orange grip and it is always easy to find.

I have the closely related Kershaw 1082 "Field Knife". It's a good generalist blade shape, that does most things pretty well. I end up carrying it quite a bit. Orange handles are a big plus for kids and guys like me alike. :) Steel takes an edge very easily, although it doesn't hold it like the high dollars S30V, etc.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
I have the closely related Kershaw 1082 "Field Knife". It's a good generalist blade shape, that does most things pretty well. I end up carrying it quite a bit. Orange handles are a big plus for kids and guys like me alike. :) Steel takes an edge very easily, although it doesn't hold it like the high dollars S30V, etc.

That's the one I have. Used it on a doe a friend killed earlier this year. Good all around field dressing knife. I've been keeping it in the glove box of my Subby for emergencies.

My orange handled Kershaw Echo has been a great knife. Gave one to a wealthy friend who is a very experienced & capable guy & does a couple fly out hunts every year. Je has had some spendy custom knives, but the Echo has has become his go to knife.