External Frame Packs

Liv2Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for and external frame pack. Primary use would be for drop camps or float trips not requiring hiking of more than two miles. Basically a meat hauler. Would like to have the option of attaching some kind of bag to haul in clothes and gear. Just starting my due diligence now to figure out what my options are. All inputs welcome.

VernAK

WKR
L2H,

PM sent.

We use the Cabela's and they've held up for tons of moose meat over a decade or more. We typically limit our meat bags to 40 pounds and take two if the pack is short and flat.

roamingaz

Lil-Rokslider
The only external I have used is the Badlands Ox, really don't see many folks on here talk about them but I think it is one of the better pack frames and feels comfortable once adjusted.

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
I used my Cabelas Alaskan frame for my rifle hunts this year as my day pack. Sold my Badlands 2200 to pay for my Exo 3500 but did not order it in time to receive it for hunting season. So I turned to my Sitka Flash for bow season and my Alaskan for rifle. It has a solid built frame with a comfortable waist belt, good suspension and adjustability with a meat shelf/blaze orange panel. I was able to keep my gear in a dry sack and secure that and my water bladder to the meat shelf/frame. Obviously, it was handy to have when I needed to get my first load of meat out as well. I have packed a couple 100+ loads out on the frame, and it does very well, putting to good use the load lifters. Not my first choice for a day pack, lets say, but it did the job and exceled at what its intended for.

I like the Kelty cache hauler. I used it before moving to kifaru. Has a food down meat shelf with blaze orange cover attached. It has batwings that help to hold loads well.

Ray

WKR
I have been fondling the slumber Jack rail pack frame each time I hit a store. It appears to be a mix of standard pack frame, bat wing load hauler, and one piece shoulder/back system. I am slowly working on my old camptrails frame (grand dad to Barney's) and will probably be sewing up something like the batwings on hte SJK rail pack. Or maybe a kifaru knock off.

wyodan

WKR
I use an old Dana Designs Longbed for a meat hauler. It is more comfortable for that purpose than any of my other hybrid frame packs. It's been working for me for about 10 years.

kodiakfly

WKR
I used the Cabelas for a moose hunt many years ago. Now my external is a Barney's with a custom bag. Hauls like a freight train, very comfortable and stable.

wpwarren

FNG
I have a Barney's that I love. I have never had a pack that carried weight nearly as well. That being said I am considering selling it to fund a new shelter. I just don't know how often I need to carry that much weight.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Bull pacs work well for hauling just about anything.

They are built like tanks but also the most uncomfortable pack I've ever worn. The frame is just too short to get any lift at all.

Best external frame out there is the Barney's imo.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Paradox packs. Carries heavy loads the best of all the packs I have used and I have used a lot of them.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm looking for and external frame pack. Primary use would be for drop camps or float trips not requiring hiking of more than two miles. Basically a meat hauler. Would like to have the option of attaching some kind of bag to haul in clothes and gear. Just starting my due diligence now to figure out what my options are. All inputs welcome.
Get a Barney's. ....Best external frame pack on the market, in the style you're looking for.