Curing Salt

Vids

WKR
That should be it. I've never heard of "Curing Salt" but what they are showing at that link is the cure to ensure you can smoke something for a long time without worrrying about botulism.

OP
MuleyFever
Hey Vids, it is actually for the summer sausage in that book you recommended that calls for cooking it in the oven.

My wife got her elk yesterday so I am ready to sausage up some elk. You know of a good jalapeno/cheese sausage?

Vids

WKR
Poser - That doesn't match up with what I've read. Cure #1 is for meats that are going to be cooked, cure #2 is for meats that don't need to be cooked like pepperoni. Check out the explanations at these links.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/10104instacure14oz.aspx

https://www.sausagemaker.com/10108instacure24oz.aspx

Muleyfever - Let me know how that summer sausage turns out, I haven't made any summer sausage or salami mixes out of the book yet. I've added jalapenos and cheese to summer sausage, brats and hot dogs. I just do the regular recipe and then if I feel like adding cheese and spice I do it. It always comes out good.

I finally got a doe in Illinois this weekend, so I will start cutting her up tonight and most of it will go into burger and sausage. I'm definitely making the maple breakfast sausage again, and more of it. Beyond that I'm not sure yet, but I should end up with a few different batches.

Unfortunately that's the only animal I will have this year, so I'm going to have to extend my ground meat with some ground pork or something. Not sure of the game plan yet, but I want more than 25lb of grind to come out of it. If anyone has ideas for what to mix it with I'm all ears.

Vids

WKR
Yeah, it will work.

The main reason for adding cure is so you can smoke it for a long period of time. The problem is when you smoke meats, they can stay in the "danger zone" of 40-140 deg for too long of a time period and botulism can occur. The rule of thumb is to keep the meat below 40 degrees until you start smoking, and then make sure the IT is over 140 within 4 hours. If you're cooking less than 4 hours you shouldn't even need it, but I just throw it in mine anyways so I don't have to worry about it.

After you mix the seasonings, meat, and curing salt, store it in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking.

Poser

WKR
Poser - That doesn't match up with what I've read. Cure #1 is for meats that are going to be cooked, cure #2 is for meats that don't need to be cooked like pepperoni. Check out the explanations at these links.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/10104instacure14oz.aspx

https://www.sausagemaker.com/10108instacure24oz.aspx

Muleyfever - Let me know how that summer sausage turns out, I haven't made any summer sausage or salami mixes out of the book yet. I've added jalapenos and cheese to summer sausage, brats and hot dogs. I just do the regular recipe and then if I feel like adding cheese and spice I do it. It always comes out good.

I finally got a doe in Illinois this weekend, so I will start cutting her up tonight and most of it will go into burger and sausage. I'm definitely making the maple breakfast sausage again, and more of it. Beyond that I'm not sure yet, but I should end up with a few different batches.

Unfortunately that's the only animal I will have this year, so I'm going to have to extend my ground meat with some ground pork or something. Not sure of the game plan yet, but I want more than 25lb of grind to come out of it. If anyone has ideas for what to mix it with I'm all ears.

You are correct. I double checked Michael Ruhlman's book "Charcuterie." I suppose I was thinking that because the last time I use Cure#2 was for some dry cured (ground) sausages. I'm going to edit my post so I don't look like an idiot for prosperity.