My first deer

miggles

FNG
After 2 seasons pursuing desert mule deer, I finally had the opportunity to shoot a buck on my very last day of rifle season this past weekend. This is not only my first muley or my first buck -- this is my first deer, period. I got him in a deep basin 3.5 miles in on a backpack hunt. All uphill on the way out. It was certainly not a perfect hunt by any means -- I made my fair share of newbie mistakes -- but I couldn't have felt happier eating my first venison burger last night. :)

Sorry I don't have better photos. I was in the basin by myself right after I shot him and the slope was awkward / had to balance the camera on my backpack etc.

Working on writing up the full hunt story. I can post a link to it when I'm done if people are interested.

vQ76PBSl.jpg

ICyPJ4wl.jpg

Robyn

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
Very awesome. Four years later, I still remember everything about getting my first buck, which was also a nice young forky. Now you have full season of delicious meals ahead of you, each one a chance to savor the memories of your hunt and to renew your sense of accomplishment.

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations ! It's great to see the ladies getting it done. Looking forward to your story. First deer is such a confidence builder.