Leica 1000 rangefinder

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
Can this rangefinder be set to measure Angie compensation with yardage or just degree

When I turn on the angle compensation and stand 20 yards from a cell tower pole it shows the 20 yards fine. When I point it to the top of the pole it measures 54 yards. My understanding is that it should still be close to the twenty yards of level measure in angle compensation mode.

I did the Same thing at 125 yards ground level. Then measured the top of the tower and it measured 126 yards. I turned off the Angie compensation and it measured the same values. How can it be the same distance on this high tower in both modes?

Maybe I've not set something correct. I just followed the directions turning the angle comp on and off comparing numbers.

I do not have this particular rangefinder but the angle compensation is based of trigonometry concepts. It has to do with the severity of the angle. So at 20 yards, if you measured 50 ft up the pole it should show you need to shoot about 54 yards. If you measure 50 yards up the same pole but 120 yards away it should say 130 yards. Your example is a simple trig problem. your range finder works of the cosign of angels because it does not have the given info it needs to use Pythagoreans Theorem.

So basically it's because the severity of the angle. It also could be contributed a bit to the difficulty of gettin a correct reading with the cursor at that distance.

ckleeves

WKR
Set it to angle comp mode and then range something it will display the actually distance and then the EHR will display about 2 seconds later. I have the same RF.

ckleeves

WKR
I don't think there is but I'm not positive. I have just always used it with the actual distance displayed first and then the EHR second. I don't know if you can set it up another way. I got used to it pretty quick you just have to remember to wait for the second reading. If somebody knows how to set it up to just display EHR I would like to know also.

OP
J

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
My manual must be missing pages. Nowhere is this explained.

It's not like a bad German-English translation. It's just completely missing from the content.

It explains how to select the EHR but nowhere on how to use it and wait the 2 seconds for the function to display.

ckleeves

WKR
Mine never explained it either I thought it was defective for the first 30 minutes I had it. I kinda like it in a way just because you know for sure that it is telling you the TBR on the second reading rather than some that I have had get turned off in your pocket or your friend accidentally turns it off. I do wish it was faster on the second reading however.

I swear R stands for "retarded" as my Leica 1000R is so slow on the angle corrected reading you wonder if it will ever display it! I use my Leupold TBR1000i preferentially to my Leica for bowhunting for that reason.

I never knew you had to wait. I thought once in angle compensation the value you see is the angle compensated value?

ckleeves

WKR
I swear R stands for "retarded" as my Leica 1000R is so slow on the angle corrected reading you wonder if it will ever display it! I use my Leupold TBR1000i preferentially to my Leica for bowhunting for that reason.

How long does yours take? I was home today and shot a few ranges and mine takes a little less than 2 seconds ( just guessing ) to display the TBR.

My "retarded"Leica takes about two seconds which seems like an eternity if you want to verify yardages several times due to brush, etc. The Leupold is instant. Seems like they could have put a faster processor in it for the price. At least it will angle correct at bow range, which my high $ Leica 1600-B would not! And of course Leica never advertised that fact that it only angle corrected beyond 110 yds! I swapped the 1600-B back to the shop for the 1000-R and still don't think Leica has it right for a Bowhunter's rangefinder. YMMV

CoHiCntry

WKR
Glad I saw this too, LOL! I bought one of these a few months ago and was confused about how the angle compensation worked. I thought the number it spit out was already the corrected angle. After reading this, I pulled it out and tried it... sure enough, if you hold it still for another second or two it gives you the angle compensated number. It would be nice if the manual would have explained this. I've read it several times trying to figure out how it works. The funniest thing is I used it all hunting season thinking it was giving me an angle compensated value every time!