First pack

I've slowly been acquiring some gear for an elk hunt; Tikka T3, SL3 for shelter. I'd like to knock out the pack next. Being a first timer out West and even backpacking, I'm a bit lost when it comes to pack. For a day pack, I'll probably just bring what I use for chasing whitetails, a Horn Hunter Mainbeam. As for a hauler, the choices out there are endless and fall all over the spectrum in price. Without breaking the bank, what would work well for an elk hunt?

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
Exo mountain gear 3500. Haul your gear, use as a day pack, and haul your meat out. All with one pack.

kodiakfly

WKR
I would definitely look for something that can do both jobs, day pack and haul. Some guys carry two packs, and I entertained that idea until I started shopping around and found that there's several big packs that will compress for day use. They may be bigger than a day pack by itself, but it saves you the weight and the space of carrying an extra pack that you're only using part of the time.

Backstrap

FNG
Spend the money on one of the top end products and only cry once. I wish I had, it would've saved a lot of money over time. Dont let someone talk you into getting brand x over brand y. The top end stuff is all very very good these days. It all comes down to fit foremost and function for your type or style of hunt second. Unfortunately, most of the high end stuff is only available from the manufacturer's store or by mail order. They do offer money back but the pack can't be used and marked up. Start reading the forums and try figure out what's best for the type of hunting you'll do. Good luck.

OP
G
I was thinking as a first pack to try the Basspro or Cabelas frame packs. Or putting something together with the Kifaru Highcamp. This is going to be a pack that gets used for an annual elk trip and possibly a backpacking trip so I'm hesitant to $400+ on the high end stuff. Anybody make ends meet with brands not directly marketed to hunter like Kelty?

Trr15

WKR
you can probably pick up an old Dana Designs short bed/long bed on eBay or in the classifieds for under $400. I've never used one, but I know guys who have and have read lots of reviews on them. Supposed to be great load haulers. The high end packs are pricy, but I guarantee you won't regret the investment once you have meat On the ground. hauling heavy loads with a cheap, ill fitting pack just plain sucks. Just something to consider.

dotman

WKR
REI XT85 is a great pack and if your a member there is always a 20% discount come dividend time but and this is big if you go the cheaper route you'll be like most of us and be spending more cash overall in the end. You can always split the cost up, order a frame now and bag later or vis versa. Watch the classifieds, think there are some good deals on Kifaru frames in the classifieds, checkout the kifaru rhino den, the highcamp in there is a great deal.

While there are some good none hunting packs you can get into a highend pack slowly if you buy components over time and off the classifieds.

kodiakfly

WKR
I'd watch the classifieds here. I'd rather get a used high end pack than a brand new lower quality pack. Packs are like boots. They can make or break a hunt with comfort or lack of real quick.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on weight and how far you plan to carry it. I know many many people that still use a pack frame to pack back to camp/ truck. Good packs pay for themselves with every step. Everybody has to start somewhere. Quality gear only makes you more comfortable not more successful. Cheap gear can ruin a trip so try and stay with something proven

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent 20 years using a Kelty Super Tioga and about 7 years using a Cabelas Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame pack. I have used a Cabelas Whitetail daypack to hunt with during the day (packing my external frame pack with camp, food, etc. as well as the day pack). I've hauled many elk, deer, bear, pigs, and pronghorn. I'm throwing in the towel on those cheaper external frame packs and am going with a Kifaru Nomad. Time to upgrade to some good stuff... That being said, those old externals can carry a lot of weight, but they weren't very comfortable. And they're heavy! I think the Cabelas pack is like 9 lbs empty! My brother picked up a Kelty Cache hauler last year. You might look into one of those to be used as a pack frame. You can get an optional bag to put on it, or you could strap your daypack to the frame. If you haven't done much in the way of backpacking or back-country hunting - you may not want to invest in the more expensive gear. But if you are committed to hunting the west in the wilderness - you'll probably end up upgrading like I'm doing now... I'd sell you my Cabelas external frame, but shipping might be a killer!
Ken

DWinVA

WKR
If you can swing I would recommend something like the EXO 3500. After tons of research it's what I just ordered. I weighed capabilities, quality, price, weight, etc. and that is how I decided on what to buy for my first real pack. I plan to use it here in VA whitetail hunting (packing meat, stands, etc.), training for my elk hunt and also use it on my first elk hunt next year. Good luck.

God Bless.

Any of the Stone Glacier packs would also be a great choice. Tough as nails and haul big loads comfortably-- as comfortably as heavy loads can be.

tttoadman

WKR
All of the high end packs will sell frame only. You can be into a high quality frame for less than $400 and strap your day pack and some dry bags for your gear. Then you can surf the classifieds for the next year and pick up a used bag for a little less than new. With the constant improvements in bags, it is always best to wait as long as you can.

I will say this once heed the advice of everyone here. Do not just buy a bass pro or cabelas pack without load lifters your body will thank you. Make sure you truly do check out stone glacier, kifaru or high end or the cabelas frame pack. Make sure it does have a frame. Good luck!

Since you've got the MainBeam...have you looked into the Full Curl System? It's an outstanding deal for $300ish. Frame with storage, camp bag, and day pack rolled into one great pkg.

I absolutely love my Kifaru gear but if I were being true to myself then the Full Curl would do everything I wanted and more for the 2-3 big trips I have planned every year. Could have saved myself some major cash had I stuck with my full curl system.

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Bill sorry you miss it. But I must agree, the full curl system is the best thing around for the money. I loaded mine with 150 lbs and it works flawlessly. I'm hoping this season to get it bloody.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Look at used packs and you can get what you need for a good price.

The best pack for the lowest price imo is the Arc'teryx Bora, which can be found used for around $150.00

Next I would look into a Dana designs frame and bag which can usually be had for around the same, or slightly more.

The best option overall though imo, is to get a used Kifaru duplex frame for around $300.00 and use your own bag until you can get a pack bag for it.

Last edited:

PhillyB

WKR
I agree with the comments so far... I went the cheaper route on my first trip and it was a nightmare. You will end up buying a nicer pack down the road anyways, so as mentioned buy a good one and only cry once.

I am in the minority here, but I love my Kuiu Icon 5000. Its packed out 125lbs on a few occasions and held up well. The bag and frame weigh under 4 lbs, so I use it as my day pack as well. They can be had on here and other sites for under $400. I have an older model, wthout the rotating the lumbar pad, but it still fits great and I have never had a problem with it.

colonel00

WKR
Where are you located? I often ask this when questions like this pop up because there is a good chance that there may be Roksliders fairly close to you that may have gear you can check out. Plenty of good suggestions already in the thread but honestly, I don't know how you would even make decision without trying to get your hands on a couple. Also, if you want a Cabela's frame pack, shoot me a PM.