Anyone using a Go Pro?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking to make some videos this next year....I invested in a Contour camera a few years back, but attachments for it are weak and software not the best, so looking to go with the $200 Go Pro...anyone have any insight pros/cons good or bad, ease of use, video uploads, etc Thanks

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Appreciate the info and the video looks good. That is the model I am looking at...what do you think about the chest harness they have, versus on the hat? Seems more secure when moving and when chasing bulls in timber and such, was curious if the field of view would still be good with this set up as the shooter, but in looking at your video I am thinking it would work.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am thinking this set up will work great for me with the chest setup. Tried the head stuff with the contour and just did not like it. How about uploading video, any specific software &or complications with this? Thanks

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback Casned. You do any digiscoping as well? Looking for something for a bino attachment versus spotter to take pics with my geovids....do you know if the tines up package works with that or if there is another option?

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah this old man needs a cameraman......back in the day well before many of you were born we lugged around BIG Camcorders :) Been saying for years I need to do this with the new techie stuff and am going to this next year for sure....If I need some pointers I see two young guys who have it down!

Awesome thread. I hunt solo as well and need a way to show my dad, my wife's dad and the rest of the family how much fun it is during "go" time!

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
GoPros are all my 12 year old is talking about as Xmas draws near. He is telling me the 3+ is the one to get. More software and hardware features, better battery life and takes better photos and videos. Based on what I've read he might be right. The battery life would be the biggie for me. They are all well built so you can't go wrong.

In my experience cold weather is a killer on the battery, as they don't last very long in the first place! They have their place but I usually use it as a backup/second angle camera!

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a GoPro skiing and whitewater rafting both chest and head mount. The problem I'd see with using the chest mount hunting is the camera would not be lined up with the target during the shot, but your head would be. I prefer the head mount because the camera is recording where you are looking.

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
I use the gopro hero 3+ black edition on my motorcycle as well as mounted on my bow... It has also gone on vacations to the Caribbean used underwater, on land and in the air.. It takes amazing photos and video.. Great assortment of attachments and video editing options.. It would be my recommendation to you.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
The nice thing about the new 4K action cameras for hunting is the ability to crop and pan in post. You can now zoom in to 1/4 of the screen and maintain full HD 1920x1080. Or 1/9th of the screen and maintain HD 1280x720. This will really help make the animals look much closer and still have the footage look good. Also you can zoom in and pan around if the action cam is in a fixed position. It will also help if you want to use software to reduce the shakiness as it usually crops to do that also.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
The nice thing about the new 4K action cameras for hunting is the ability to crop and pan in post. You can now zoom in to 1/4 of the screen and maintain full HD 1920x1080. Or 1/9th of the screen and maintain HD 1280x720. This will really help make the animals look much closer and still have the footage look good. Also you can zoom in and pan around if the action cam is in a fixed position. It will also help if you want to use software to reduce the shakiness as it usually crops to do that also.

Maverick,
What post processing software are you using? I just got a Hero4 and am trying to decide what program to use to edit videos.

Just picked up a silver edition 4 last night as well. Hope I get more use out of it than my hero 2. I might try the go pro software to edit after watching a few tutorials on it, the super slow motion flux thing looks sweet.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Maverick,
What post processing software are you using? I just got a Hero4 and am trying to decide what program to use to edit videos.

I've been using Power Director 13. And downloaded a free trial of Sony Movie studio 13. Seems like they all have a free trial period.